Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The only proper way of fixing PvP is...

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Sir Leonard, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Well, i guess... make PvP regions specifically drop something usefull for killing people. Like materials that give + protection, +damage and +resistance against PvP.

I know this sounds like other RPGs out there (*cof *cof WoW *cof*), but i only see this way o give people REAL incentive to participate into PvP.

I myself will never EVER turn PvP on. Not my style. Not my game, and as i live outside US, i'd suffer much more stress with lag than regular players (i already see the effects when dungeon grouping, so, no... i'd never join PvP even if that means +EXP / Hour). So i'd rather just enjoy the game in other areas.

But for later releases, you should seriously consider this. Giving jus flat out EXP to PvPers looks just like a bad designed solution (yeah, i clearly read this is "experimental", so no offense intended).

2. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

There is no pvp in this game... at least not the version I know. This game has flagging. Flagging isnt pvp, its a pvp joke.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What else would you do? Open PvP for everyone? So that those who want to to finish some quests are constantly attacked and get annoyed?
    Open PvP and quests don't work together.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It wouldn't work for me.
    Because it didn't work in wow for me.
    Plus wow turned back those things with WoD. So it didn't work for them also.

Sir Cabirus and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

PVP could be helped a lot with some real animation polish. I tried some PVP yesterday and it was pretty ridiculous. I would hit my friend with Body Slam, and he'd fall down, then he'd slide all across the ground on his back as if he were on ice and was shooting me with arrows all the while. It was pretty ugly stuff to put it bluntly.

6. Derium

Derium Avatar

Just put in factions. People who PvP just enjoy the fight. I did it for so many years in UO (until they killed it off in 2003).

As someone who won a Mage Tower in UO, Warlord rank in Vanilla WoW and plays WAY too much C-S and Overwatch. I seriously do not understand why Port is pushing PvP so much in this game. You can't force PvP, nor should you EVER need a carrot on a stick to get people to PvP. People PvP for the fun of the hunt. I don't care what reward you offer (like the exp boost) in this game, I'm a PvPer and I refuse to do it in this game, why? Because it's boring and it sucks. By that I mean the combat itself.

Fix the skills, fix the animations, speed up our characters movement then that's some good steps. Offering rewards for doing it won't work.

7. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

the +25% is a great incentive.. but a 33% or 50% is much better and can turn 70% of player to join PVP and move on parties or friendships .. there are just 2 or 3 pk on server.. a very low % ... probably anyone can play flagged PVP outside cities and outside 5 skull scenes...

8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I think it's interesting how you think Port is "pushing PVP so much in this game". I feel like the PVP community is neglected for the most part. Up until this release very, very, very little has been done to incentivize PVP at all. I do agree with you on the suck factor for the moment though. If you see my above post, watching my buddy slide around on his back during a fight was enough for me to be like what is this? LOL

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Oh, there is also another part of the community that feels this way, too... :(

uhop, Moiseyev Trueden and Jordizzle like this.
  10. Derium

Derium Avatar

That's actually a funny image to see, haha.

But that's sort of the thing with PvP, you set it and forget it. Isn't the main point of PvP to win the fight? I personally don't see any reason to give someone an incentive to do it. If you have to BRIBE someone to do something, then they were not interested in it in the first place. Meaning they will not be contributing anything to it.

Of course SoTA is fighting a MAJOR issue, in order for there to be PvP you need to play in multi-player. But there's zero reason to do that. Why compete for mobs and resources when I can do it in friends only and have no competition?

So yeah, ponder that. I'm a PvPer and always have been, but you'll never even get to see me in game. That speaks volumes to me. Perhaps once they fix combat iself, then I'll be interested. But right now it's just not fun.

Jordizzle and GrayFog like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Didn't Port nerf the respawn of mobs & resources in single player mode in this patch ?

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

13. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

All I need for incentive is that pvp is fun , when you don't know who you are going to run into. I plan to win some and loose some, I never know. Chaos, unpredictable fun.

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I thought that was Chris saying it was tentatively planned for R37. Haven't tested so not sure.

15. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Well, i DID play some MMOs that had this model (like Ragnarok Online) and spent A LOT of time in the free-zone PvP. The only difference is that there you din't lose anything for pvping. You paid a small fee to enter, once inside, killing spree, forming groups, dominating the place or just spend time chatting while waiting for suitables adversaries.

But the peak of PvP fun was in castle Sieges, where a certain number of guilds would control castles and get exclusive access to some dungeons for an amount of time and then people would fight there to control the place because it where the BEST spot to gain Experience. But there you had "random" teleport, and some weird mechanics that would counter signigicantly your losses against each other (and the server was kinda local for me, having mostly zero lag and instant reaction chance).

I just don't have an idea of what would work here, but as of my part, i'll definitely not be taking part on PvP here. I don't see it fit, i dislike the ransom system (i give it to them because many UO players just loved full-loot PK and this somewhat balances that) and i already suffer from severe lag to be any effective in PvP. And i am a melee... my playstyle and i have not a single chance agains ranged/casters, who are the 99,9% majority of people focused on this. And I don't want to "adapt" and change it each patch just because it's the new FOTM class (like WoW, i hated their systems of imbalancing one class over another in PvP over and over and over and over... and making all groups rush into the same "optimized" setup. I hate having to be "optimized" to play a certain role and i learned to hate optimizing leaders all along hehe - here i just want to play my way and care as little as possible about building up numbers and adjusting equips/builds to be "the best").

This is why o though that an "incentive" should work to make people willing to participate more.

Anyway.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    uhop likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not for this release.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

3 Reasons I won't PvP here..

1: body part trophies are not optional.. Only way to opt out is to not PvP.
    2: No real meaning to it.
    3: Ransom

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would love to see a criminal system come into the game with wanted posters. Here are some thoughts below ;)

-How about having a system in place like a 'criminal points system' earned by "certain criteria'
    -What happens is when criminal points are built up criminal points and other criteria is met criminal points are earned
    -If met this generates a work order wanted posted for your head worth examp 5k for your head turned in
    -Wanted posters can be picked up from NPC town bulletin boards as a work order
    -The only way to be a criminal is through striving for it, perhaps picking up a quest that tracks your deeds and sets you on the track
    -Just doing pvp for fun does not make you a criminal
    -Pvp quests that lead you in this direction are found through interacting with NPCs and choices that are made
    -Once your criminal points have reached the required level then the work order appears requesting you to be hunted down and turning in your head will remove the wanted poster
    -This could look like Work order type - wanted criminal Evil Max (made up name), 5k reward for his head.
    -Once taken Work order is gone from the board, but other crimal work orders would appear as they are generated from participation
    -Completing criminal work orders can give a boost to virtue in some small way

My idea is that this is only one of many pvp opportunity ideas to the whole in Sota, along with wars, arenas etc.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I have to agree with the OP.

After years of the community asking why SOTA PVP would be meaningful, it is exceedingly discouraging that SOTAs PVP design has moved to give PVPers +25% xp as the reason to do it.

It feels like a very contrived reason for PVP compared to other games on the market that create more in-character PVP interest with factions, arenas, keeps to conquer, etc..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  20. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Maybe there's simply not enough pvp-ers attracted to this game at the moment, because it doesn't look fun? I can't really advertise it either to a few friends.. why would they want to pvp in this game if they do it alot better in other games already?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.