The Phoenix Egg - A Rare Gem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 1, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a rare Gem Phoenix Egg in the game?

1. Yea

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]

Modified Phoenix Egg Gem by Denis Loubet​

Will there be Phoenix Eggs in the game? I'd support 100% a Gem of power, rare reagent, or any form of Phoenix Egg added to the game, even just as a decoration but it'd be coolest as some sort of gem only found in the nest/lair of a Phoenix, highly sought after and the rarest of all gems. As Phoenix's don't lay eggs often. Once in their lifetime, a thousand years or some such lore, etc.

[​IMG]

Would you like to see a rare Gem Phoenix Egg in the game? Especially connected with lore, found only in the rarest of circumstances whereupon a female Phoenix lays one in their lifetime, a rare event. Guarded fiercely by the phoenix.

2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Yes!!

Ravicus Domdred and Razimus like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sorry I'm going to get technical nit-picky here just a bit.. but I think by virtue of being an egg disqualifies it from being an actual gem. Doesn't mean of course it can't look like one. That said however, phoenix eggs should be more than extremely rare.. but exceptionally rare. Even worth 1 million gold (unlike certain other biologically based "rares" I shant mention).

As such I don't think it should be useful as any kind of magical component. If it were it would need to be significantly more common or it would lose its value both as a component and a rare.

Ravicus Domdred and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Make it a rare currency then! I'll be cool with that. The high rollers will need a currency to replace gold when gold becomes too common. Maybe Phoenix Eggs can become the new SOJ? (Stone of Jordan) The rarest magical ring in Diablo II, thus duped, becoming the most commonly traded magical ring in Diablo II, turning into a currency.

Even RG mentioned in many a video about how players create new currencies to deal with in-game economic irregularities. I would plan on having a number of possible alternate currencies to gold. In the end players will choose what is worthy of a currency alternative to gold. It'll be fun to watch.

Ravicus Domdred and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If there were enough of them floating around to call it currency on any level.. it wouldn't truly be rare then would it? I would be happy as a rare collectable.

gtesser and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Sounds Like the creation of just another add-shop rare, I'm sure something similar will now appear, in the longest running Store sale of limited time half price offers.
    Buy before they are discontinued can't have all the plebs owning one.

7. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Oh come on now :)

Ravicus Domdred and Razimus like this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The entire thread is about in-game lore, not add on store, I know it may be confusing because "in-game lore" rhymes with "add-on store". But the poll is all about lore, and do you want Phoenixes to be 2-dimensional pokemons or have depth lore-wise.

Phoenixes are already in the game. It's a done deal. Why not add some dimension to them?

The greatest lore-story concerning Phoenixes involve how they are born, how they die, and the more obscure and most interesting piece of lore, the rare event in which they lay eggs.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I plan on dealing in body parts :) Some body parts will be more rare than others! Eh Bowen! :D (I jest of course)

Dinsoo [MGT] and Razimus like this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Dinsoo [MGT] and Razimus like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As I said once before.. my head should be considered a rare item. ;) Cause you're never going to get it! :)

Dinsoo [MGT] and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

are you never going to pvp? I will stop talking about this here in this thread, as I am derailing it! But oh yes It might be an epic quest for me to get the "head of bowen" muhahahahah

Dinsoo [MGT] likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think there's actually a lot of interesting ideas to explore around this.

First, the phoenix isn't really a bird in the normal sense, its an entity that's born in a mystical fire, and which returns to the fire. One would suppose that any kin it birthed to would also be born from the fire. Any phoenix "egg" wouldn't be an "egg" in a normal sense.

Second, if you go back to medieval gem lore, "stones" and "gems" weren't necessarily literal stones. Things like corral, fossils, etc. were also called stones and if precious might be considered gems. They also had all sorts of magic abilities, including the ability to store fire or have affinity with fire, and they could multiply if you had a male + female gemstone. All sorts of stones and gems were reputed to be in the heads of animals, like dragons and eagles, and one in what was probably a jellyfish.

So I imagine lore-wise it could be thought of as an actual gem.

Btw, I did a google image search for a phoenix egg. this looks like amber?
    [​IMG]

Moonshadow, Spoon, Razimus and 2 others like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Since Phoenix eggs are always found cooked, it remains a mystery as to how they reproduce. Found eggs have been incubated for naught, as spoilage rapidly ensues. Perhaps a Phoenix egg salad sandwich recipe will be found.

Zap and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  15. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Oh you so tempt me Aldo.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Remains to be seen. If I can't opt out of body parts.. probably.. if not.. probably not.

17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Why not? But first I need a horse (pack llama).

Epona, Razimus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'm 100% for Ridable Horses & Pack Animals. Trudging the weight of a thousand Kobold hammers isn't too fun with the current penalty, and for miners mining heavy ore it'll be a must.

I don't think adding a phoenix egg would derail anything. It'll turn a lore-less hollow cave with a monster you kill for loot to an immersive purpose in the world. Phoenix Eggs shouldn't be too complicated.

Eriador and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Look, redfish try to make us read culture! To the fire!!

(I know, Phoenix Eggs or other similar deco will not steal that much time, I just wanted to complain about horses and pack animals for free)

Razimus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.