The Planetarium at Caer Dracwych (WIP)

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well it's not looking good. I would need 4 game boards to cover the area I need IF the supports were right next to the moondial (which would get in the way of viewing).. which is a moot point because the boards will not sit on chimneys or stone blocks anyway.. Am I doomed to be rained on any time I want to give a class?

Perhaps there are still a few arrangements of blocks I can try.. but the size of the moondial along with the limited stacking is proving a challenge.

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Perhaps furnish your guests with Umbrellas?

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just not the same. :p

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Maybe cover the seating areas only?

The new Ardorian-style crafting platforms might work for covered elevated seating?

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

General update.. building was stalled while I tried to work out what I can.. and unfortunately can't do. The stacking rules that allowed certain structures to with covered areas and multiple levels that inspired some of my ideas have changed. It's just not possible to do what I wanted. And so I'm simplifying things quite a bit.

I'm not going for a simple elevated platform surrounding the moondial. I will then build from there. Form must give way to function it seems.

At least I have a pretty good idea how much stone I will need to finish the main platform.. unfortunately.. it's a LOT. :) getting up to around 10,000 granite blocks in addition to what I already have placed and I'm pretty much out.

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I will gladly donate 10000 granite to the cause. I'll deliver it to the site sometime tomorrow.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Much appreciated!

Tsumo has donated 4,999 granite. That should hopefully be more than enough to finish. I have a few ideas I'd like to try once the platform is up.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Foundation is finally complete! (about darn time!) and bleachers are up. The structure is 'functional'. So I plan to resume astronomy classes in the near future. Screenshots to follow.

Now to just make it pretty... and I'll have to change the thread title again.. not much of a planetarium if it doesn't have a roof. :(

Cordelayne and Bow Vale like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok I know it's been awhile. After a bit of a hiatus work has resumed.. So I have good news and not so good news. lol The good news is..

[​IMG]

I FINALLY know how to build a roof! This opens up all new possibilities.

As it is right now, the structure is more or less functional. It seats over 90 guests.. I had to simplify down to basically just an elevated platform with castle walls for the walkway and a modest entrance area. But now that I know how to do a roof of sorts as you can see from my experimental work.. it's very possible. Granted there will be a hole above the moondial, I don't know if that can be helped or not.. and there is a LOT more work to do. I will never the less resume Astronomy Night classes now that was have officially launched.

So the not so good new is.... eh... I need more granite. lol I haven't calculated an estimate yet but it's going to be quite a bit to get the covered area up. I will need to build roughly.. 24-30 doric columns and possibly 20-24 more 4x4x4 blocks (200 granite each) to give the roof a little height.. quite possibly about as many 2x4x4 at 100 granite each for a little more height and a few more 1x4x4s..

As you can see I will likely use bleachers to top the roof off.. and those will extend about as far as I was hoping for with blocks except the 5 stack limit wouldn't allow me to get a final layer in.. (thus the bleachers)..

Most of the actual seating right now is bleachers but I will almost certainly be taking those out over time and putting in custom seating. I intend to retain the 90+ seating.. yeah I know it's overkill but the space will be there. :)

Cordelayne and HannahAlpenglow2 like this.
  10. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

*sigh* granites coming, can I deliver them in NBM?

It's back breaking but well worth it :)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes the donation chest is still there. :) Much appreciated..

12. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

great! 1500 placed in chest, will look tomorrow in other chests. I know that I have more :)

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Great thanks! Will get some more done tonight.

14. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

2750 placed in chest at NBM :)

15. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

placed another 2400, do you need more? have more but in one of my far off homes so need to brittle and ox up to move them. Let me know :)

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It occurred to me the other day.. you could possibly send through the mail? :) Not sure how much more will be needed. Will take a couple of days I think to use up what I have and see where I'm at. Those large blocks really use it up fast though.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well it's been quite some time since I updated this.. to be quite honest.. life and building challenges somewhat put me off. To make a long post short, the project has moved to a player dungeon. I managed to acquire a rotunda.. the moondial fits quite well (though slightly off center *grumble* but at least we won't be rained on anymore!) The dungeon entrance is located inside the library/observatory building if anyone wants to pop in and see how it's going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.