Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Plans In-Game

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Heradite, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

So let's say you are a new player who knows very little about SOTA and what SOTA plans to do because you are an impulsive customer.

You get pulled into a random encounter which right now are lame.

I think it would be helpful if a tutorial pop-ups telling people the plan for random encounters are to make them more dynamic. Do this with other parts of the game: pets, combat, blah blah.

You tell them in the beginning it's a sandbox that you are building but I think giving people an indication in-game of where you plan to go with features (as well as working on graphics) might be a good idea?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

hmm maybe but it's extra work.. and what happens then when plans change? "But the game said you were going to do this!.." Really I think the disclaimer at login is enough.

3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Add a disclaimer that plans are liable to change? I know it's extra work but it shouldn't take that long. A couple hours max?

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Isn't something to that effect already in the disclaimer?

5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Yes. But I think giving people an idea of how the game is supposed to look at will help them better gauge the actual state of the game (the opening disclaimer is nice but doesn't really do this) and where it is going would be helpful to them.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't know.. I don't really think a few tooltips are going to do that either. Especially if they don't understand what pre-alpha really means. I can imagine a lot of people coming in thinking it looks just like a beta and by then everything's pretty much set.

7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I don't think Port'y has much of a clue, I don't think they are in touch with 'gaming' and I don't think they understand that almost everyone just wanted them to make Ultima 'as close to it as possible'.

Surely they knew making such a large game in 3D was a massive, expensive undertaking that would take many years to complete? Yet they initially only asked for 1mill. WHY doesn't this ring alarm bells in anyone??? I think dev's with 30+ year experience, with a low budget, would have opted for a top down isometric game, or such...

Pressing both mouse-buttons to move forward... I'd like to know exactly who on the dev team insists of having it that way...

Let me know your thoughts?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I can't agree with the bulk of your rather harsh assessment. I do think however that being veterans they have some old habits they could probably do without and I think there's almost always a certain level of separation between developers and players. That being said.. I don't see that as much here.

They do know what they're doing (for the most part) but nobody is perfect.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Now now. Well one thing Portalairum could not have planned for was us, and I mean uniquiqly each one of us, even you. Rarely does something turn out the way it was planned especially if you get others involved. So that this game isn't exactly like Ultima and believe me I so loved my time playing Ultima Online is not happening as we know. It sounds like there's not much some one can say to you. You are mad or so it seems as in angry. I know you did not start out this way because I had very nice chats with you. No one has to tell you how to feel and I am not doing that or at least trying not to do that. I just felt the need to let you know that I understand you feel different than I do on some things. There are some things I have issues to also. I am not totally in love with everything, but if much of what I want is in the game I will be happy. So **cheers** as always to you Sir Hemlock.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hi Majora, I know, I know. I'm trying not to be too negative here.

Regards,

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hello Bowen,

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. But we'll have to gracefully disagree and leave it at that.

Regards,

12. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

That would be time programming extra things into the game saying "we don't have this here yet but one day xxx will happen", instead of them actually programming something useful into the game.

Best way to find out what a game in development is planning is by doing forum searches, and searching for dev interviews around the internet.

13. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I don't think the time spent on this would at all detracts from the game or the time they spend putting in more stuff into it.

You are talking about a couple hours in a development span of years.

I do think it's useful. Yes that is the best way Lollie but not everybody who gets into the game has time for that nor should the devs put the onus on the user to find this information out.

Then again you are talking to a gamer who is disappointed physical console games no longer have manuals.

14. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Well they don't even have the basic chat tab system under control yet (check this awesome chat tab ideas thread if you want to add to it), so adding in popup boxes to each scene might be extra time spent just creating an extra unnecessary functionality that isn't going to be ultimately needed. They really are a bare bones dev team.

15. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Have reconsidered this and i now agree. I have now posted a positive review on steam as i feel r16 showed great promise besides a few glaring flaws. The potential is there. It was always there.

Regards,

majoria70 likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The stuff in game that they set in stone are things they promise during the kickstarter to those who initially donated to the project, from what i've understood. Outside of that scope, alot of the stuff in the game has been suggested, or created, by the community and reflects what is desired. They often change gears and create thigns in-game as a result of feedback from the community, which is also a source of frequent change in the quarterly schedules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.