The problem with attunement

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Vrenmar Bloodborn, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

That bug is just for pve cause some mobs cast skill that are not related to magic schools. In pvp they work realy good

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Wow i didn't know that @Dhanas, do you have an example? Thanks!

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I am fine with the current system for mages, I mean it would make sense mages want to specialize and or dabble in different magic areas, but I would just like a completely Martial way of at least defending or reducing magic damage from a non-magic, or martial standpoint. I shouldn't have to wear a warlocks chain just to get some semblance of protection !

As for warding gems, I'm also confused about that, because it seems to me non-warding gems are actually more beneficial since they raise attunement, and attunement helps resist...right ? Also since it seems like you have to put points in magic skills, they also help with that vs warding which doesn't....

4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yes, I tested it with the dragon in southern grunvald, if you use all fire res douse+ice shield and warding gear you take excatly the same dmg from his fireball than having not fire res, instead it changes using physical defense, for example you receive much more dmg if you use bersker instead of defensive stance.
    I tested it also in PVP with another guy , he was using full warding gear and my ice arrow was doing less dmg than on him not using a ice res gear.

Gems give you more resistance, for example using a fire res gem in a necklace gives you +15 fire res and -5 fire attunement ( total of 12.5 considering the -5 att), instead a fire gem gives you just 5 attunement that is 2.5 res.

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

That is really weird - is it a bug? surely must be.

Dhanas likes this.
  6. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Well, I am not sure, but I Think yes

Steevodeevo likes this.
  7. eli

eli Avatar

So i've got some bad news for you:

Even if you spend ~40M to grind all 7 damage trees to 90 attunement, and get +10 from warlock necklace to bring you to an even 100, you will still take 400+ earth/ice arrows. from people with over 200 attunement.

In fact, these people will do more damage to you now than they would have 2 months ago. The developers nerfed damage bonus for 150+ attunement disparity, but "balanced" that by actually buffing disparities under 150.

If you read between the lines, this is also a buff for the end-game class who have 100 skill-based attunement in every tree just because.

So, if you follow the community complaints and suggestions on the matter, you might be hopeful that things will inevitably become better.

But if you read the patch notes.... the story is depressing and getting worse.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  8. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I understand the problems with attunements. But how to handle that...

In the one hand you have those player's who invest a lot of time in building up their Avatar, with limitations you punish them.
    On the other hand it is annoying for the more casual-style player's to PVP against very high level Avatar's.

A possible solution could be to limit the PVP Zones to a certain adv. level:

For example:

Libris Ruins = ADV. LVL 1 - 40
    Kas Ruins = ADV. LVL 41 - 60
    Dysborg Ruins = ADV. LVL 61 - 80
    etc.

Player that have an higher adv. level than the max. level in that Zone will be downsized to the max. possible level. I don't know if this is technically possible somehow...
    Dark Age of Camelot had such an concept with their level dependent battle grounds, which worked very well. But when you passed a certain level you had no longer access to the battle ground, due to technical limitations downsizing highlevel characters...

Lord Trady of Blix and kaeshiva like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is already done in Opalis Ruins (I believe its capped at 80?)
    Don't see why this couldn't be expanded elsewhere.
    On one hand, its a way to even the playing field for people who have not (or will not) invest the time into their character and just want to PvP.
    On the other hand, people who do invest time in their character are disincentivized from visiting these scenes, as their effort and work counts for absolutely nothing.

I suppose the deciding factor would be evident - how many people PvP in Opalis? How many know the zone is scaled? How many care one way or the other?
    Personally, since they made obsidian golems do the magic shutdown nonsens, I've had zero reason to step into a shardfall other than guiding people through the main quest, doesn't happen that often. The obsidian golem change was an even bigger reason to avoid these zones than the open pvp, if you aren't a physical damage user.

Dhanas likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Nobody PvPs in the ruins, I mean I know people are afraid to go in there, but I go in all the time and never see another soul.

I am not for diminishing anyones work on their character - you should be a badass if you put the (rather boring) time in to grind xp to get yourself there, but yeah I would like to see PvP occur at all levels, even on like level 20 people. so having real PvP gates would encourage that more than now where you know, you can be solid in PvE or group but you are not going to last against anyone with high attunement. I mean I'm well on my way to levelling it all up, but it just seems like, there should be a better solution for the health of the game.

As to whether it's broken or not, like some in the thread are saying, I'm not sure. I haven't done the math or know the systems well enough but it does concern me as I've heard similar things a few times.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  11. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Anecdotal impressions aside, the way that attunement works is that it is in and of itself, merely two of the aspects of the calculation necessary to cast an offensive spell upon another player.

You see, ignoring attunement altogether, if I cast energy bolt at you, your magic resist should come into play. But what you may not be thinking about, is that your Dexterity, Dodge, Air Shield, or Intelligence all play into what happens after I cast energy bolt on some noob.

For for thought B-)

12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

it works

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

lich bosses do physical attacks that look like fireballs but arent

Jaesun, Dhanas and Steevodeevo like this.
  14. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

actually i think the solution is much more simpler and requires nothing from the devs.... just level up

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

What level are you ?

16. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

just turned 95 yesterday

17. eli

eli Avatar

"just grind more" doesnt work as a solution...

that has been tried forever, but the pvp churn continues. You are useless against the top 20% until you are part of the top 20% at which point you are OP to the other 80%. There is no eventual equilibrium here. It is so apparent that most people don't even bother trying to become 20% after realizing how rigged the deck is. I've seen it happen in real-time on 3 seperate occasions in obsidian trials chat over the last couple of weeks.

Luckily chris promised an 80-skillcap obsidian trial in r57.

That will be the first time we can BEGIN to see if this game is balanced.

Jaesun, Brewton and Gorthyn like this.
  18. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I think the attunement bonus to resist should be much much lower. Or even dont exist at all, make all magery do less dmg and take out att bonus to resist (for example). Another skill to resist magic would be another alternative, but as it is now, it doesnt work in my opinion.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I totally disagree with this. The more knowledge you have about a specific school of magic, the more resistant you should be to it.

Dhanas likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

But why tho ? It's not like that in D&D. if you take a 10d6 fireball, you take a 10d6 fireball even if you can also cast it. The only thing that stops it is magic resistance.

eli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.