Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Release 31 Linux Thread

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Bluefire, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I'm opening this thread for us to chat about Linux specific issues perceived in release 31. Unfortunately it sounds like Unity somehow grew their issues from the Linux 64 bit library to the Windows 64 bit library. ....if only they (Unity) had worked on the Linux problems just maybe they would have avoided the Windows problems.

[[Edit:realized I left out why we need Windows users]]
    Windows users, please let us know if you are experiencing any of these issues and system specs to help verify whether these are Unity Linux specific. Thanks!

I was going to login to the game last night, but hit the forums first and realized I do not have the stomach to login until I hear that the crashing is gone. I am not going to run Tanda around without a cloak - it's bad enough she doesn't get a mage robe.

So, here is a quick reminder of the Rel 29 & 30 issues. Could Linux users that are playing through the pain of this release please give updates on these issues and add new ones that do not seem to exist in Windows as well? Also, please try the 32 bit client and give feedback regarding these known bugs.

64 bit Linux client (thanks @Polaris Penguin for some of the wording here)
    1. Avatar always stuck in walk state - negates bonuses and looks ridiculous. Since R29
    2. Guard skins broken - apparently randomly
      1. appears to be some kind of mutilated corpse - my favorite being the large head at the feet with a skinny body above the head. Since R30
    3. Stuck while in combat after using a skill _OR_ halt while casting various skills while running. Must double-click "w" or key mapped on keyboard to move forward - the mouse will not resume movement. Since R29
      1. Work-a-round: Stop moving before using a skill
      2. Action to start moving again:
      3. Example of issue when not in combat - while running cast healing peace; on occasion character will stop
      4. Does not matter if "Prevent movement while casting" is set.
      5. Includes skills: Dodge, Air's Embrace, Blinding Shot, Disabling Shot, Light,...
    4. Dying (Ghost) snaps avatars to incorrect position within a scene. Will eventually crash if you let go of movement keys (mouse or keyboard). This also prevents playing a new character due to some changes in R31 (New character crashes on entering Isle of Storms). Since R29
      1. Work-a-round: Just before death press and hold a movement key - do not let go until you reach a ankh.
    5. Using Coconuts in select scenes (like Aerie) will throw the avatar out of boundaries. Will eventually crash. Since R29
    6. Water, like death and coconuts, causes momentary unbinding of location, however no reports of client crashing as a result. Since R29
    7. Taking screenshots crashes the client. Since R29 [patch notes]
    8. Imp pet decoration renders as huge black square. Since R31
    9. Fire elemental is purple. Since R27
    10. Can't right click and zoom at the same time. Since R31
    11. Changing scene resets controls/video settings - intermittent issue that not everyone experiences. Since R29 **Reported as possibly resolved in R31**
    12. Flashing black squares in overworld. Since R31
      1. Work-a-round: Turn off names [n by default]
    13. Linux Launcher crashing on launch - sorry guys, can't blame unity on this one! Since R28

32 bit Linux client
    1. Crashes when entering Brittany (RAM limitation) - I'm sure this affects Windows as well, but have not seen a report. Since R30
    2. Guard skins broken - apparently randomly
      1. appears to be some kind of mutilated corpse - my favorite being the large head at the feet with a skinny body above the head. Since R30
    3. Flashing black squares in overworld & other scenes. Since R31 (Can I get a verify from anyone?)

Please correct me on anything wrong - some of the things like "Since Rxx" are speculative - if you know it has happened prior to the release noted or even a bit later, please let me know!

@Wintermute of CoF Many thanks for providing links to the bugs. Definitely the way to go here!

Please report in the thread if you confirm a work-a-round or find that it doesn't help.

Thanks!

Bluefire

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

1. Still a problem.
    2. Still a problem.
    3. Still a problem.
    4. Still a problem.
    5. Still a problem.
    6. I don't use the built-in screenshot mechanism.
    7. The last wipe was the last time I created a new avatar, so I don't know.

3. DaMiEn667

DaMiEn667 Avatar

Since I can't get past 7.... I can't do anything else...game crashes after creating character; ubuntu 16.04 x64 nvidia

randomonium, Leelu and Bluefire like this.
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

1. It's not just an animation, the character is walking in place, we never get a stillness bonus for our fizzle chance. This one is in the known issues.
    2. Yep, sometimes so broken you get black triangles flashing across the screen when you're in the same scene as them.
    3. Seems to work OK for me now while running, I may just not be casting the problematic skills though. I do sometimes get locked in place when casting spells during combat,
    4. Yep.
    5. Not tried it.
    6. Not tried it, I use the Steam overlay.
    7. Not tried it recently.
    8. Don't have one.
    9. Game is sometimes unresponsive to left clicks on scene change until you right click.
    10. Touching water while not pressing in a direction flings you hundreds of feet backwards
    11. Fire elemental is purple
    12. Can't right click and zoom at the same time
    Also I've not been able to check this yet in R31, but in R30 the glowing skin around the big dragon was well off.

randomonium, Leelu and Bluefire like this.
  5. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Have you tried running the 32 bit client? Let me know what you run into.

Leelu likes this.
  6. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Updated list - more investigation to be done through older bug forums.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Using the right mouse button for mouse-look causes the camera to become uncontrollable. I reported this during QA but there's another bug report related to it here.

Sentinel2, Bluefire and Leelu like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

10 and 15 are dupes

Bluefire likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i am NOT experiencing 13.

Bluefire likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was just trying the 32 bit Linux client:
    • + The avatar idles.
    • + I do not get thrown out of bounds if I use the coconuts in a scene.
    • + I do not get thrown out of bounds if I swim.
    • - The client still crashes if I'm wearing a cloak while changing scenes.
    • - The camera still becomes uncontrollable when using the right mouse button for mouse-look.
    • - The guard model is still severely broken.
    • + I don't get stuck when using certain active skills (I get stuck in 64 bit client when using rapid fire).
    • - I still cannot enter scenes like Britanny, as it requires more than 3 GB of memory.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Bluefire likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Me either. However, if I change a setting and the client crashes then that setting gets reset to what it was before I changed it. If I change a setting then exit the client normally then that setting will be properly persisted.

Bluefire likes this.
  12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yeah, I didn't add that one because Windows users are getting it too and @Bluefire said he wanted a list of Linux specific issues. And the black squares thing is also impacting Mac users (so an Open GL shader issue, I guess).

And this quote deserves to be in a sig at some point in the future ;)

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've become so accustom to my avatar walking in-place that when using the 32 bit client it actually feels weird when he stops.

Bluefire likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That one is actually at the top of my most distressing issues list.

Bluefire likes this.
  15. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Thanks for loading the 32 bit client and verifying these.

16. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Good catch. Thanks

17. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Thanks Bluefire, one of the often touted benefits of cross-platform support is the ability to reveal bugs that otherwise may go unnoticed. Unfortunately it seems Unity isn't putting many resources into the Linux or even Mac clients due perhaps to the low population.

I must admit I have tweeted one of Unity's Linux fans whose involved with Unity builds, it would be nice to recruit more Linux users to this game :).

Bluefire likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Linux support is the reason that I'm here. If this game didn't run on Linux then I would've said "it looks fun but it's windows only" and moved on.

19. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

At least we have the option of playing with SotA via WINE down the road if the Unity Linux support remains less than stellar. I'd prefer Unity get their act together - when a problem shows up in one platform it usually makes its way into other platforms - we've been raising the alarm for months and now some of these issues are showing up in the Windows clients. Mashing 32 bit libraries under a 64 bit client is not the way to go.

20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

They're planning to go to DirectX 11 on Windows in one of the next few releases (it may even have been this one). DX11 support in WINE is still more than a year away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.