The Rise XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crendel, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

hmmmm ya was reading other post, its been along time since I did the rise cause after grinding there so long it has killed that place for me..... But by the look of these changes it really seems like they are pushing for people to only do there grinding in UT... which in my eyes is truelly disturbing. they should just make some solo/group spots cellars/jails/instances that are pet safe and player fun.. instead of pushing everyone to just do 1 spot an 1 spot only.. I maybe low level (adv 67 gm's 11) but it is getting to be bad in taste with some of these things I am seeing.

Scanphor and K1000 like this.
  2. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sounds about right. I was looking forward to soloing dragons, then just as I was about good enough, dragons started critting for 600+. I was almost able to do the monkey room (I could get through waves 1 and 2, but I'd have a tough time getting to the end of 3) then they made that way harder. It's incredibly frustrating to be stuck in the same areas all the time, because every time you're on the threshold of going somewhere new, it gets made tougher or you get nerfed. I was even doing sieges for a while, but the speed nerf made that all but impossible unless I get the right cabalist.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I really wish "creating more group content" didn't involve cannibalizing all the good solo content.

5. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

This thread is developing into a real escalating bummerfest so let's examine a few facts and stop with the build-up of fearmongering.

1. The Rise is still soloable. While it was originally intended as group content, people do solo it and can still solo it.

2. The barrier for soloing The Rise is slightly higher than it was before. This mostly affects people like me who were just getting into soloing the rise.

3. The amount of experience you can get in The Rise is slightly slower, however you can still easily attenuate while getting more loot (increased loot drops, have to kill a few more to attenuate)

4. The mobs in The Rise still give more exp than they did before double exp became the norm. Many people grinded solo in The Rise before double exp was the norm, during the weekdays.

5. You can get exp faster in Upper Tears, but not faster than 1 million per hour, and the loot is significantly worse. It is also much harder to solo upper tears for most specs.

6. The game is in a state of flux constantly and you can't expect things to only get easier/faster as time goes on. If the developers find that almost every single person is attempting to do the exact same content all the time there is a reason for that. Half of balancing content so people use all of it is making the most busted content less easy/rewarding, the other half is making the worst content more rewarding. Knee-jerk reactions like this will serve no purpose.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

For some.

Sylence, Cordelayne, Scanphor and 2 others like this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

At what adv level? I'm sure any content in the game is "soloable" at some level.

So I'm player level 103 (112 with buffs). The mages room is yellow for me. Nib is player level 124. The mages room is green for them. Yet they've stated several times now that the mages are *significantly* harder for them to kill in R58 than they were in R57 and no longer worth their time or effort. That doesn't seem like "slightly higher" to me. Again, as I've noted before, the *difficulty* is going to depend a lot on how you've spec'd your avatar.

33% is not "slightly lower". Nor is it even an "apples to apples" comparison, given the difficulty was *increased* as well.

Yes, they give 8k instead of 6k. That is a slight increase while there's been a very significant increase in difficulty, as the difficulty of the mages was increased in past releases as well (R57 for sure, and IIRC, R56 as well). So these are not even comparable.

And again, that's more for groups than solo. Sure, I've watched video of a mage with significantly lower ADV level than I solo UT, and that's great. I'm not a mage, and I went and ran through UT solo, and you know, only died 5 times along the way. In the end, I did make some XP, but it wasn't worth the time investment. Again, if I want *loot* I'll go elsewhere, there were always substantially better zones for loot than the rise.

The problem with this line of argument is that this game is (a) supposedly "released" (I personally think of it really being beta, but that's not what SOTA has advertised itself as). (b) Expectations get set over time by how the game has been able to be played *up to this point*, (c) There's a distinct lack of quality solo XP scenes.

If this had simply been a change where there was a slight change to difficulty, I'd have accepted it and moved on, like I have for the last two releases. This was a significant set of changes across the board and leaves mid-range solo players without a decent spot for XP.

Sylence, privateerFox, xadoor and 2 others like this.
  8. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

It does not matter what expectations you had. This is always going to be a living game, and it will constantly be changing. If the devolopers find that people can easily solo some of the hardest content that they created then they are going to attempt to balance it one way or another. How can they possibly balance or make new content that people will play if it's not easier/faster than the current, so in your paradigm they just have to keep shoving more exp/loot down our throats for less work to keep us going. People are already progressing far past the soft cap with almost no risk, so whats next? At the end of the day people can complain that the mage room is not worth soloing anymore, but I would bet that they're still soloing it.

9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Perhaps they are but that's not what my friend's list shows any longer.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Making it harder and worth less XP is the real issue. One or the other is annoying but understandable; both are infuriating. It is not fun to aspire to do something and have it made arbitrarily harder every time you get close or achieve it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Thwip, Innascual Inch, Nib and 4 others like this.
  11. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

I have no objection to game balancing but the change in Elf difficulties and the reward doesn't seem to add up at all.

If they think the elves are too easy and reward too much exp they can simply:

1) Make them harder and have a slight exp cut. 33% exp cut as it currently stands is a bit over the top.
    or
    2) Make no change to their difficulty level and give the 33% exp cut.

Of course there may be more options, these two are just what I can think off top of my head.

Giving more gold drop as reward is practically useless and does not make up to the 33% exp cut at all.

Mishikal likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So it's Friday night, and of the 31/125 friends of mine online, zero are in the rise. That's not normal.

Sylence, Thwip, K1000 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

On the plus side I've caught up on some of my Netflix backlog ;-P

xadoor, K1000, Nib and 1 other person like this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Ya there are. The rise can still gain you plenty exp solo if you know what your doing. Upper tears is still relevent. I do that solo still. Ruined keep as well. Reality. If you choose to dwell on "oh no, I am getting a few less exp for so and so" than that's on you but the reality is those of us who need millions and millions of exp to level what we need are still doing fine.

Montaigne likes this.
  15. Nib

Nib Avatar

Well if you enjoy Upper tears and Ruined Keep perhaps Port should take that away from you so you can understand what this is really about. Forcing me to do what you enjoy doing isn't sand box, that is forced gameplay.

16. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

The game is not being ruined. First, the devs have a vested interest in the success of this game so to try push the claim "they are ruining the game" is dishonest. They don't want the game to end and work daily to make sure it doesn't. Second, the goal post is always moving as the game evolves as well it should. That's the nature of many things in life including games. Just play for enjoyment.

Crendel and Witcheypoo like this.
  17. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Your choosing to hear only what you want. I spend about 80% of my time in the rise and I still do and will continue to do so because its still a good place to go and I do it solo. I was merely giving other examples but continue to participate in selective listening if you wish

18. Nib

Nib Avatar

You want to talk about dishonesty? You applied quotation to something I did not say, and it is YOU who are only hearing what you want to hear

xadoor likes this.
  19. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Nope I didn't. Granted you didn't say specifically "ruin the game" but you did say push people out of the game which the end result of pushing people out of the game is the game is ruined. The message is the same.

20. Nib

Nib Avatar

DO you seriously not understand what quotation is?

xadoor, Scanphor and Mishikal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.