The Weight of ADV Level in the Balance of Combat

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Damian Killingsworth, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

How much does my adventurer level affect the balance of damage dealt after other computations such as damage, avoidance, resistance types, etc.?

The above question has been in my mind as I attempt to power level my first avatar. At roughly level 60, I have hit a few walls in skill development since the beginning. The “aha” moment came shortly after I decided to veer from my original rigid plan to create a pure fighter and decided to bring every skill to level 40. It seems that some creatures I fight take single digit damage from regular melee attacks, then suddenly, those same creatures, in the same scene suffer damage in the 30s and 40s from the same regular non-critical hits.

I am not looking for the formulas behind the curtain. I am wondering If other players have experienced this, how they feel about it, and if they feel in can be attributed to the math of adventure level.

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A close examination of your daily chat log will tell you everything you need to know regarding exactly how much each individual skill hits for in the way of damage on every single hit on a mob.
    A good text filter is your friend in that regard, and I'd highly recommend TextPad.

3. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

My experience is that I feel Adventurer level plays a huge part in whether you hit or miss a monster - with any attack. So much so that if you want a powerful character, forget skill level, get a high Adventurer Level char. A high adventurer level trumps any other melee/range/magic skill.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hit or miss considers a number of factors, but certainly adv level is one of them. Dex plays a large part as well.......

5. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah your level determines if the enemies are green, yellow, orange or red and easier or harder to hit.

Your primary innate for combat skill of choice like Bladed Combat helps a lot with damage increase and I also believe hits and misses. Dex also helps but takes a lot more XP to raise compared to the other one.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry I have to argue against this - - -
    A long time ago ADV level played the major factor - the Dev team saw this and worked very VERY hard to take as much of that factor out of play.
    (( corrected TY for saving my trouble of testing - )))
    But your Dex, and innates seem to now play a much higher percentage of how effectively you hit, and your Str and other skills work in correlation as to how hard oyu hit.
    Adv level has been reduced as a factor - but . . . . .
    Since the team refuses, beyond any amount of asking to, produce simple formulas to show it is not relealy easy to figure.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I don't believe the ADV level has anything to do with damage. I believe it is just an indicator of how much Adventurer Experience you have gained. That's just a guess, but staff can clarify it. As far as the damage you're doing, it's within a range of damage, which is listed in the spell or the weapon you're using. There are a lot of factors, I believe, that are involved with the amount of damage you do(STR for weapons, INT for spells, DEX for ranged weapons). I'm sure each mobile you fight doesn't have the exact same resistances to your attacks, so damage will vary from mobile to mobile(even the same type.) Also, each mobile will suffer more damage depending on the Damage Type(Earth, Fire,Water,etc.) that your attack uses. Your gear can also affect that amount of damage you inflict; Attunement on socketed items(chest, ring, necklace, one/twohanded weapons.)

8. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Adventure level is not dependent on skills, it is a number which is increased as the total number of adventure experience is gained.. You can lock every skill at 20 and never look back. You will still gain adventure levels.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There seems to be diametrically opposed "views" on how Adventurer level is calculated.
    Can anyone post an actual reference to where Portalarium has spoken about it, or are people guessing here ??

10. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

11. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Nothing to post, but I do know for a fact I was pooling xp, and gained 3 adventure levels spending 0 experience. So I can confirm you do not have to spend xp to raise AL.

Matt Harris, Weins201 and Adam Crow like this.
  12. Insinious FizzleThorpe

@Berek
    Before it becomes a mudtoss, just ask the simple question to your counterparts, or answer if you have knowledge with a simple yes or no.
    Question: Does Adventure level raise without spending skill points?
    Answer: ?

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Adventure Level (as well as Producer Level) is raised simply by earning the appropriate XP. It doesn't matter if you spend them or not.

Very simple to test this if you wish to prove it for yourself.

1. Start an offline game with a new avatar.
    2. Go through the tutorial scene and pick up a couple new skills to help you fight better.
    3. Lock all of your skills (yes go through every single one to be sure NOTHING is set to "Training")
    4. type /stats in chat window to get your current levels added to chat log.
    5. type /datafolder in chat window to get to the chat logs folders easily... and open up the one for your current character (scroll to bottom).
    6. Go out and kill some monsters for 15 minutes or so and then type /stats again.
    7. Open the same chat log and see that your Adventure Level is higher (and Producer should be too if you were mining/harvesting/skinning).

Obviously, when you are already at higher levels, it takes much longer to raise an adventure/producer level... so it may seem like it's not raising if you don't spend points in skills... but it is. ;)

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I can say that the color of mobs changed when i had 0 skills on, (was pooling for almost a month) and i colored up a few times. So i would say it almost definitly is dependant on the EXP gained, not the exp delivered in skills.
    But thats me assuming the color of the mob is determined by adv level.

15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

It is!

16. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Ok, I debated posting the other day, but lets clear up some huge misconceptions.

My qualifications: I wrote SotaHUD, and have done a ton of testing with adventuring level and had quite a few in-depth conversations about how it affects hit rate due to some rampant exploits.

Adventurer level goes up based on experience earned, NOT experience applied to skills. So even if you had all skills locked to not raise, your adventurer level would still go up as you kill things.

The color of the monster is determined by the difference between your adventurer level and the monsters adventuring level.

Your to-hit rate is affected by this difference. If the monster is more than 20 levels above you (dark red), you have a guaranteed miss rate added onto you, that increases the bigger the difference. That means if something is red, you will miss a LOT more than you will if it is yellow. Therefore, some bosses do have a technical "level-gate" for having an effective fight against them.

Some character stats (such as hp) are affected by adventuring level.
    Certain aspects of some spells are affected by adventuring level.

But the hit rate is the biggest thing, and why you should ALWAYS attack red npcs from behind, which makes it easier to hit.

while i'm on it, the correlary for crafters:
    Producer level affects your skills.
    It goes up just like adventuring level, and does not require exp to be applied to skills.

fonsvitae, MrBlight, Pawz and 2 others like this.
  17. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

At level 60 pm me for a build to solo 300k exp per hour, at your current level. This game is all about useing the right cards in the right circumstances,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.