The wolves are borderline intolerable. Here is a better option.

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Grave Dragon, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

While a wolf's behavior in his natural enviroment can be discussed...and I differe with your understanding in most points, you havent ever programmed a mob's AI?

And Sir...getting to the devs about wolfes in Texas...here is what I could find ->
    http://mexicanwolves.org/index.php/...-From-native-top-predators-to-a-fading-Memory

This is a pc game, the AI reacts like a standard mob, and guessing the ressources given to the average wolf in a zone, Sir...with all due respect, this is pretty much standard and ok.

Wolf-AI-001
    /If Player HP lesser then AI-Wolf-001-> go to script0
    /If Player HP more then AI-Wolf-001 -> go to scipt1
    /script0=attack player
    /scipt1=flee from player for 10 seconds unless damage taken, if damage taken go to scipt0

Your asked wolf behavior would at least range in the tripple amount of needed ressources and code...

...and if you start with the wolfs...people will want all AI to behave "better", because people are people.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its possible they may change. I can say much but there is some good news on mob behavior in Release 42. Just the start I hope.

Grave Dragon likes this.
  3. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

That would go together with the "hire NPCs" to assist you on your solo-journey that was discussed before?

It sounds great...but as I stated in my previous post...wolfs are basically ok (imho of course!) ...well...most AI Mobs are ok, far mor important is the "first Impression" people get when entering towns. The guards...the vendors...and those have allready been upgraded with the day/night cycle fromt he last time I played.

And for myself...I stoped wondering about mob AI and drops and everything related since I looted a chainmail from a rat in Everquest at lvl 2 back in the 90th. ;)

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

no, they are changing mob AI, mages are casting more spells from more skill trees, mobs are are starting to team up better (which probably includes wolves, I haven't tested). If you dont notice, wolves in game are actually usually in large packs. My guess is that if they haven't yet, they will mob attack soon.

5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Mob AI is pretty important to a successful game, no?

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

They didnt seem to get the new AI in R42 for sure, seem to be the same.

Grave Dragon likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Grave Dragon and 2112Starman like this.
  8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I posted the OP not knowing they already had wolf pack mechanics in progress. I don't really care when it arrives, the fact that they are working on it is wonderful and I'm ecstatic.

Kambrius likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

A little bit necro, but I should point out that these are not Texas wolves, these are Novian wolves, who have the shard sickness to drive them crazy and make them unpredicable. Be glad that they do not carry rabies too!

Damian Killingsworth and Tsumo2 like this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

Mobs (unless special-case ones, like undead) should try to run away if they reach a certain low point on their health pool. If the devs are so intent on having mobs running away before combat, then it needs to happen less often.

Human NPCs (including elves and kobolds) should try to surrender if their foes are other humans. NPCs that surrender are on their knees, no longer in combat and wait in place with a off-chance of them escaping the scene if you're still in combat (against other foes) after a certain amount of time. Disengage combat mode and "talk" to them which gets you a trading window where you can get all of their gear for zero gold.... or just outright kill them off.

You can even elaborate the system so that, if you let them go, the odds of spawning an overworld encounter in the area with that type of enemy increases.

As for wolves, I'm not a huge fan of the howling and having mobs magically appear. They just need to share the same kind of behavior we already have currently with our super-long-distance-aggro bandits and they'll already feel like pack animals. I think they already act this way but the logic that makes them run away or avoid combat is overriding the aggro.

Jens_T likes this.
  11. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I would just like to say, I really thought the wolves behavior was due to a unintentional pathing issue. Regardless of the argument, that is what I honestly thought until I ran across this thread. So.. there is that.

12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Coming this week:

Gix likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Anyone still finding this an issue since they adjusted the behavior?

14. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Well, even single green timberwolves attack now. Suicidal... I liked fleeing and grouping better :)

Gorthyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.