The world of Ultima, from a LARP perspective

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

One of the most important aspects of the game: the MONEY!!! Well, the most common coin being used, anyway. *grins*

Used to trade for the smallest of life's comforts, the Pith is minted primarily to keep the citizenry from cutting up the Common! On the back can be seen the noted value of the coin, while the Tree of Life is prominent on the front. 8 Pith are equal to a single Common, making it the smallest denomination of currency in the lands of governed by the aging lord, the White Dragon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the pics are huge, but the Pith is the size of a US penny. I have to reverse the bosses and the direction of the text to make it a stamp instead of a coin, but the hard part of the work is out of the way. As with the key, I'll post unboxing pics when I get the stamp printed! :D

2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

UNBOXING TIME!!!

In their baggies:
    [​IMG]

Free at last!
    [​IMG]

By your power combined, I am the Key of Three!

[​IMG]

It seems I need to make a minor modification to the Key of Courage once I know where it is binding up and preventing it from sliding in correctly (as you can see in the pic above). That being said, if it comes out this well in plastic, it SHOULD come out similarly well in steel.

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Those came out very nice

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

After having physically checked these (the pics were provided by my wife as I was out of town at the moment), and the gap with the Courage key is caused by a slight bowing of the three keys themselves, due to both the material used and the production process. I had to tweak it slightly to remove some features that were useless, and reuploaded it. All three are currently for sale on the shapeways site

Key of Truth

Key of Love

Key of Courage

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Totally impatiently waiting for this order :D

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Thanks for buying it! Hope yours come out as well as the ones I had them make (not that there is any doubt on my part, but still... I sincerely hope they come out perfect :D )

I'm waiting to see the pics from the ones that were ordered in steel! :D

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

LOVE IT!! I literally found these on Shapeaway after purchasing my second ankh from Denis Loubet's Altered Universe page. I immediately purchased a copy of the Valor Rune Stone in sandstone and it's amazing! :D

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Thanks! I'm working on the other three... once I get focused that is... *laughs*

Edit: By other three, I guess I should elaborate: the ones for Honor, Justice and Spirituality! :D

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

and now that I thoroughly sidetracked my own thread... I will post more about the larp end of it when I get the rules straight, and some background stuff generated for non-human races ;)

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

All righty... Here is what I cobbled together over the last day and a half. Please keep in mind, this is almost wholly off the top of my head, with some help from the History of Britannia page of the Editable Codex, and the Ultima 1 and Akalabeth Game manuals. The idea is to give the world, and the player races that inhabit it at the time of Ultima 1 some nearly cohesive history that the players can draw upon in giving their characters some sense of purpose, as well as being (purposefully) ignorant of as much of the retconning from later games as possible.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Time Lord and HoustonDragon like this.
  11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

The History of Sosaria

Ancient Sosaria

Long ago, past the written recounting of years and events, before the arrival of even the Elves, the world was empty of wars and strife. All existed as it does now, but absent were the striving nations, the dread creatures, or even the machinations of dark sorcerers of the world. Sosaria was green and peaceful, rich with life and magic, the latter being felt most fully in the workings of the moongates, doorways to other parts of the world, and even other places among the stars! It was through these gateways that the first sentient races, the Ancient Ones and the Daemons, came into the world. In Sosaria, the Daemons saw a bountiful source of raw materials and a strategic node to spring forth into other places and times across the universe through the moongates, while the Ancient Ones saw great potential for peace and prosperity, and soon the two races met and ravaged the world with their bloody conflicts. Eventually the Ancients won out and, seeking to eliminate the threat forevermore, bound themselves with what Daemon-spawn remained, the act of which elevated those them to a higher state of being far removed from mortal cares. The Ancients that remained barred any further Daemon-spawn from entering Sosaria, and lived in harmony with the world, its creatures, and the magic that suffused it, constantly seeking to better understand this place in which they found themselves.

The centuries passed, with the Ancients eventually mastering the new magic they discovered in this world, and many mysteries were revealed to them along the way. Among them was the means of communicating with the beings of energy and light, the Wisps. This proved the eventual undoing of the mortal Ancients, when the Wisps traded a sample of their knowledge to the Ancient known as Zog, who immediately attempted to put his new knowledge to use. The sample they traded was the spell of Armageddon, and all life, except for the unfortunate spellcaster, was wiped out when he tested their offering. Zog, alone and bereft of any form of sustenance or companionship, followed the rest of the world into extinction shortly thereafter. Thus all existence of the Ancients was wiped from the surface of the world.

The spell may have wiped out all current life in the world, but the moongates still worked through the ages, and myriad forms of life found their way into this desolate plane, and many more ages passed before other intelligent life once again walked the face of Sosaria. Not even this much would we know, if not for the more learned among us once again ferreting out the secret of communicating with the Wisps. As the Wisps are a mercenary lot, and their coin of trade information (of which we do not possess in sufficient quantity to entice them to barter further), we have been unable to discover more from them about the Ancients or the things that happened in the time before the oldest of us, the Elves, and the slightly shorter-lived Dwarves, walked the face of Sosaria.

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Dwarves, Elves, and the Moongate Wars

Some undetermined time after the unfortunate Zog, the first Elves stumbled into the world through a particularly large and unstable moongate. A fully armed column, complete with supplies and non-combatant support personnel, was en-route to support a neighboring tribe in its battle with a host of dark monstrosities, when they were rendered unconscious by a sudden lightning-blue flash of light and a gut-wrenching vertigo as the whole unit was suddenly transported across worlds. Upon waking, they could recognize nothing of their surroundings… even the stars in the sky were of unknown configurations. Once it became apparent there was no way to return, the despair they felt, both in the lost connection to their people and their part in the possible defeat of their kin to darkness, was keen and enduring. Being innately woodland beings, however, they found this wound to their pride and spirit soon salved by the lush and wild world surrounding them. Before long, the Elves found a place to mark as their own, and set to aggressively securing and defending their new home.

At roughly the same time (as measured by Elves), a Dwarven mining company found itself likewise world-shifted by a random, unstable moongate that manifested (luckily enough for the miners) just as an earthquake caused the collapse of their rather extensive delve. Rather than the halls of their afterlife, as they expected, the company found itself in an unfamiliar natural cavern, some unknown distance below the surface. Straightaway, the company drew together and in typical dwarven fashion established a base camp, inventoried and secured their supplies, and commenced investigating their new surroundings. Their initial survey revealed stone and other materials completely alien in composition to anything with which they were accustomed. Drinkable water was near and in abundance due to the presence of deep, tubular sweetwater spring feeding a small lake in a connecting chamber, but a decided lack of edible and woody fungi in any of the connecting caverns meant the company needed to forge upward leading tunnels to find the surface, that they might both secure their delves and replenish their soon-to-be dwindling stores. Much to their delight, the stone through which they tunneled was very soft yet stable and relatively free of faults, which allowed them to reach the surface relatively swiftly and without significantly depleting their resources. Once outside, the first thing to strike the dwarves as peculiar was the strangeness of the skyline above. None of the peaks was known to even the oldest dwarf, nor were the stone-tales (the layers, colors and types of stone in the mountainside) familiar to their rocksingers. Practical as ever, these inconsistencies gave them scant reason to pause, as they soon set to securing sufficient wood and food to ensure their immediate survival, and plans were soon laid to turn their simple delve into the first dwarven holding on the face of Sosaria.

As chance would have it, both races were brought to this world upon the same continent, and it was not long before they made contact. Distrustful at first (since neither had ever encountered the other’s like, nor shared a common tongue), scattered conflicts broke out over claims to territory and resources. As time passed, the Elves and Dwarves learned to communicate in a broken melding of both languages, which led to the brokering of an uneasy peace. As time and increased understanding healed some of the wounds of the past, trade developed between the two nations, and uneasiness developed into a lasting peace. Thus it was that for several Elven generations (and many more for Dwarves), the two races grew and prospered, with both growing large enough to spread their influence to the other three continents. before an ancient enemy of Sosaria once gain came forth to lay waste to all before it in a fit of wrathful vengeance.

For many centuries, the banishment of the Ancients had held, keeping the ravening Daemon hordes from entering the land. But in their pride, the Ancients (not envisioning a time in which they would cease to be) had tied the forbidding to their enduring lives and indomitable will. None had seen the interference of the Wisps, or the folly of Zog. With his death, so died the last vestiges of life force and will feeding the ward. Deprived of either, the forbidding would have gone on for many, many more ages… deprived of both, it slowly dwindled in power and efficacy. The Daemon-spawn, feeling the sting of defeat as keenly now as it had when the Ancients first barred their way, closely watched the ward, constantly probing it for holes they might exploit. It was some time after the advent of the Elven and Dwarven nations that the holes the Daemons sought began to manifest. Wasting no time, those spawn that were able squeezed through the weakened barrier into Sosaria, and created much havoc before they were once more banished through the individual or combined efforts of the Elves and Dwarves. As the forbidding was tied to the moongates, and the ruptures in it resulted in Daemons appearing through said gates, the increasing flood of spawn into Sosaria, and the efforts of the lesser races to stem that tide were dubbed the Moongate Wars. Both races had long felt an uneasiness that grew steadily over the years, and in one way or another, both had separately come to the same conclusion: a ward existed that had been keeping these devils at bay, but neither could find any lore or other source for the magic that had created so powerful a forbidding. Though both races were magically capable, the Elves were more attuned to the flows of the Ether than the Dwarves, and so were the ones to finally read the decaying remnants of the forbidding. After much study, Elven sorcerers were able to discern the spell and components necessary to repair and rebind the forbidding, but discovered (after a particularly disastrous failure that cost the lives of several powerful sorcerers) that one race alone did not possess the will or life force necessary to correctly rectify the situation. Only with the combined martial and magical resources of both races were they able to finally push back the Daemons and renew the ward, albeit imperfectly. The haste forced upon them to seal the Daemon threat away left loopholes in the barrier that future sorcerers would make use of to bring forth these instruments of chaos. With this doom averted, another age of peace dawned, but a sense of trepidation hung in the air that all felt to some degree.

13. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

Seriously amazing... I feel transported to an ancient world simply by reading this thread. Reading this thread is better than reading most fantasy novels.

14. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

By the way, I've never played LARP, but I'm curious about it. In your opinion, what's the best book / resource / website to learn about LARP?

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Well, I have only ever participated in one LARP, that being FantasyQuest, a small local LARP in Connecticut (which is what provides the basis for the one I am running for my kids), so I don't have a basis for a "best" resource, buuuuut....

The Wikipedia page on the subject provides a good overview, as well as a link to a list of various LARP organizations

Larping.org provides a lot of up-to-date information on a very wide variety of LARP types and genres, as well as a store that has some few LARP related items, like armor, weapons, masks (2), clothing and such.

I'd start with those, and see what else a google search can dig up for ya! :D

16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

*SNIP*

See the post a wee bit further in to see this entry in its entirety!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So Mondain was a "dragon"... hmm :p

18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

No? :confused:

19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Mondain is the second son of King Wolfgang

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Mondain is the second son of Wolfgang. In my head-canon, when Mondain killed Wolfgang for the Sun Ruby Gem it left the throne bare. When Akalabeth became known as the Lands of Lord British, Wolfgang's former castle became known as the Castle of the Lost King.

So Mondain isn't either a Black Dragon or White Dragon, but a Lost King. =)