The world of Ultima, from a LARP perspective

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

The beginnings of the next project, being modeled by my son, Colin:

[​IMG]

Yeah... some tweaks already needing to be made, but its a start. I simply need the materials to complete the project, like a strap ring, a buckle, and some other punches and stamps :D

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Well, here we are, a year later ;)

I haven't made any forward motion on the LARP front, because the kids had shifted priorities drastically in the interim:

• My daughter made the decision to move forward in grand fashion, and did all the legwork necessary to start both her Junior year of HS and first year of college this coming school year ( :D )
    • My son (the one pictured in the last post) decided he needed to do something more concrete with his life and build towards his future, and joined the Navy and has since passed the first hurdle towards becoming a nuclear trained member of the submarine force
    • My other son got a job and found out just how awful adulting really is *evil cackle*
    • Of their friends that were going to be involved:
      • Both started getting involved in acting at the high school level
      • One moved forward with pursuing her degree in graphic arts
      • The other graduated to HS, even more involved with his HS theater group
    All of this combined to erase the possibility of doing any LARPing on the weekends, and so killed my desire to achieve any kind of forward motion on this little project.

However, I did move forward with a few other things, like the armor my son is modeling above. I have a few pictures of it in various stages of completion, but nothing with a decent view of the completed project.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vyrin and Time Lord like this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

And as for physical trinket/quest item fun, I finally got off my ass and finished the virtue stones:

Here are the remaining stones printed out but unpainted:
    [​IMG]

And painted/"weathered":

[​IMG]

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's a great project @Lord Tachys al`Fahn !

I've been slowly collecting the pieces I need for a set of bamboo armor in old Thai style and truly aiming for the Ardoris look or similar styling. I don't have to fight in it, but I'm looking for shooting some SOTA YouTube videos in interesting settings here in Thailand. I'm really getting some good pointers out of this project of yours! So thanks allot for always sharing!
    ~Time Lord~:)

Vyrin and Lord Tachys al`Fahn like this.
  5. Sir Stile "Cavelooot.com

Sir Stile "Cavelooot.com Avatar

This is related but may not sound so initially.

So one of the things I do for a living is selling LARP. Conventions, the works. My store *coughs* is caveloot.com > And I get to plug that because it very much relates!!

So, I also have a large Commerical Cargo van. I recently plastic-dipped it trim up in metallic green (like camo green with metallic), and trim down in black. Running boards and hitched are being installed the next two days.

*pants and continues*
    I have a friend that owns a print shop company and is willing to give me some good pricing on printing and helping me apply the decals.

So.. the artwork.

Well, what I WANT to do, is have custom art done that is a very much "ultima style" gypsy on the front hood with potion bottles and the works. Nothing that violates copyrights, and nothing that steals art - just inspired by. Cutout wood wagon background/shelfs behind around her.

Then above the side trim down both very long sides (109" i think it is?) a Table top. Table legs could stick out under the trim down below.

On the table.. swords, potion bottles, cards, shields, and all of the other number of things that fit the theme and relate to what I am selling trying to make a living.

The back? A little different.. just a little bit of "cave wall" trim around the rear windows (which are darkly tinted), so that it look like it's a cave opening...

sort of a magical gypsy wagon, transporting and selling goods and all that, with a lot of inspired Ultima going on.

The problem I have is the artwork. I can't afford to hire any of the people I know for this job.. it would be too costly. Alternatively, I would buy the airbrushing equipment (I've wanted a set for models), and pay someone to airbrush it.. if i knew anyone that did that, but dont.

So this is very much up in the air at this point, although I DO have some funds set aside for it. So maybe someday.

Very much wanted to roll up to the Hobloth with those decals this year though :)

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Hah! That would be fantastic! :D

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

As my "armor" (the piece I posted pictures of above) got a serious soaking during last year's HoBLotH, I need to get it cleaned off and resoaked so I can shape it back to what it should be. Once I get that done, I will post some pictures of the end result, since I added several plates to the arm to provide more coverage than the initial shoulder pieces did.

Time Lord, Sir Stile Teckel and Vyrin like this.
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Speaking of HoB'ing... there is one coming later this year, and is likely to be the last on Richard's property of Castleton before it is sold: HoBLotH IV

Time Lord, Sir Stile Teckel and Vyrin like this.