The Zeitgeist Library

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Datendrache, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Greetings Avatars!

Silently, I've been grabbing various documents that caught my fancy from around Novia and the Hidden Vale, placing them on a bookshelf, and arranging them by date collected. My thought behind this is to create a library that captures what we were experiencing at any particular time.

Why? Well, in X years, when a player logs in and wants to relive a bit of their own history, they can visit the library and see some relics from their own past. I played Ultima Online from its very beginning for about seven years, in that time the game changed considerably. People came and went, but the world persisted -- but much was washed away in time.

The number collected so far is modest and from a variety of sources - Soltown and Owl's Head for starting players (Rifthiker's Guide Books, EVL), various player authors (Lazarus Long, An Onimous), Player Run Events (Lace Delamorte/Prism, Cyin/Havoc), POT Related (Ordinis Mortis, Oracle Oasis, Vastata Insula Innectis), and merchants (Scroda's music list.)

If any player, guild, establishment, organization, merchant, etc. has a work they would like to contribute to the Zeitgeist Library, please let me know. You can contact me on the forums via conversation, whisper me in-game to Engineer, or place the item in the Festival Drop box.

The Zeitgeist Library is located in Festival, a player owned town nested to Owl's Head (Hot Air Balloon link at the entrance) (coordinates: 92.4, 38.0, 126.9). Human readable: Go forward from the zone in point past the Oracle Confirmatory, it will be the first Elven home to the right.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

To the SOTA Community:

I have a few announcements regarding the Zeitgeist Library:

First, the Zeitgeist Library has had a major renovation in order to accommodate years of player created books. It has moved out of the Chalet and into a completely dedicated Tax-Free Village lot at the Festival entrance. The idea is that there will be both above and below space for thousands of books.

[​IMG]

Second, the collection has become substantial with over 200 books and actually quite fascinating to read through. If you have ever wondered what types of books players create, you might want to come have a visit.

[​IMG]

Third, as the year is wrapping up, I'd like to encourage everyone with books of various kinds to send them to the Zeitgeist Library for archiving so they can be placed in the highly-visible "Section I: 2016-2017" area. Once the 400 item capacity of the upper level of the home is filled, the rest of the books will be stored in the basement.

As a reminder and note of encouragement to participate, players have created many types of books for RP events, community functions, almanacs, guild histories, etc. that are not currently here. The library has the entire Womby and Vyrin collection, so if you've contributed to those books then its likely they are already in the ZL. However, if you are writing books of any sort, please mail them to "Engineer" in game and they will be included in the Library. If you are selling your books and not partial to free-bees, then please write me and let me know where your bookstore is located.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.