There is no Pk in SotA, only Consentual Virtuous/Antivirtuous

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sold and gone, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I call for the removal of the tag PK in SotA as it really does not belong here. The PK (Player Killer) has a bad connotation tied to greifing and looting of innocent players. In SotA there is not any non consensual PvP. If you have a PvP flag you have opted into being attacked at any time and any place. You have donned the mantle of war. What we should have is Virtue/Anti Virtue labels.
    The term pk actually should mean PvP in general as Player vs Player you are KILLING one another. Anti PK should mean against killing and against PvP if you read the definitions of the words.

vir·tu·ous
    ˈvərCHo͞oəs/
    adjective
    adjective: virtuous
    having or showing high moral standards.
    "she considered herself very virtuous because she neither drank nor smoked"
    righteous, good, pure, whiter than white, saintly, angelic, moral, ethical, upright, upstanding, high-minded, principled, exemplary;
    law-abiding, irreproachable, blameless, guiltless, unimpeachable, immaculate, honest, honorable, reputable, laudable, decent, respectable, noble, worthy, meritorious;
    informalsqueaky clean
    "they were entirely virtuous in their endeavors"

Anti-virtuous
    The opposite of what is listed above.

blaquerogue, Xail, smack and 8 others like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

Well, it does not matter whether I call someone PK, griefer, antivirtuous, or Jacob, it boils down to some people using PvP flag or scene as an excuse to ruin fun of others.

That being said, imho what Player Killer should really mean is someone killing the player, not the character.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

What it boils down to in all reality is one taking responsibility for ones own actions. You take the action of flagging yourself you take the responsibility of defending yourself and you take the responsibility of unflagging yourself. The PvE and PvP worlds are clearly defined. If you do not wish to be attacked do not flag. If you do not want events raided do not hold them in pvp areas.

4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'm all for your idea and maybe someday there will be a pirate island where such will exist. They are trying to understandably cater to a wider audience and die hard pks will have to make some sacrifices of patience with SOTA.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Right. :) It is true pvp instead of pvSheep. :p

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you kill a Player YOU ARE A PK - not to hard to figure out.

Don't want to be labeled a PK, DO NO KILL PLAYERS.

Where are all the emoticons I could use for this please can we get some here - Picard, Dead Horse, Punched Face, etc????

LoL I also like the comment "Jacob" is this a new thing :)

Net likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Hey Weins201, I agree, in pvp players kill other players. Its called competition. If you choose not to compete that is A-OK. If you choose to compete that is A-OK also. But you do have a choice, and there is NO non-consetual pvp in this game. Sooooo, dont flag yourself, or do, its all A-OK! :)

blaquerogue, Xail, smack and 4 others like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I agree, if you flag yourself for PvP you're taking on the responsibility of defending yourself and can't complain.

Though, I think that doesn't rule out all types of griefing; like if someone is afk and you attack them for no reason, I still think that's still outside of roleplaying. But players have to just find ways deal with that until the devs decide to put in a justice system down the road.

Logain, Net, Abydos and 4 others like this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

We can use the term PK for people who are flagged PVP but still kill other PVPers in a poor manner. For example the other day I was attacked and killed while I was crafting something at the crafting table. Got killed again by that player while I was using skill points at the skill trainer. Who attacks someone who is crafting or setting up their skills? PKers do! Am I flagged for PVP? Yes, but I also never attack another PVP flagged player while they are crafting or setting up their skills, or afk. There is no honor in that!

Womby, Duchess Wyldemane, Net and 3 others like this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I agree with Rav: if you don't want to risk, just unflag or gtfo Shardfalls, Vengeance and Arenas. It's abysmally simple. Nobody forces you to accept this risk, so if you take it, it's entirely on your own shoulders.

Said this, it's also very easy to spot the difference between PVP and PK:

DBAD = PvP'er
    BAD = PK'er

blaquerogue, smack, Womby and 5 others like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Honor is for the virtuous, There are many anti virtues. I agree that it is a pain while crafting or what ever, but the fact is, you have a pvp tag. As long as steam is counting kills for achievements, then you will have people taking the easy kills. Steam and SotA promote it with the achievement system in fact.

12. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

That's what I'm saying, acting un-virtuous like that makes you a PK not a PVPer.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Technically you are having tea in the middle of a battlefield hoping not to get hit.

14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I feel like you aren't picking up what I'm putting down. .lol. One can be flagged for PVP and be virtuous in the way they select their battles or one can be without virtue and engage people who are incapacitated which earns them the PK title in my book. If you aren't PVPing for the challenge of it then you are PKing I think tbh.

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree with the opening post.

PK creates a black and white scenario, when in fact the virtues teach us that there are shades of gray.

Fate/Karma style titles like we have seen in UO ultimately may provide more meaning to players.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Aye, understand what you are saying. Traditionally speaking, which is why I started the thread, a pk would prey on lesser people. Gathers, crafters, noobs, and yes other pk's also, but mainly they just killed anything they seen. In UO, where this started, it got a bad connotation for this because you had no ability to "opt out" of pvp. Now you have the ability to OPT out of pvp in SotA. I do understand the moral case you present though. I am not the kind of person to attack an afk character, but I am in a minority in that case. I am happy to see that you opt for pvp and try to craft dont get me wrong. The problem right now is you cannot get out of the interface fast enough to counter attack and defend yourself. In past games if you get attacked you can defend and take chase right away. You are not AFK, you are crafting, there is a bit of a difference, and when looting comes into play you might think more of when you turn your pvp tag on and off, as it will start costing you gold or items. My whole point was to counter the argument that PK's, the traditional PK's are not here, and cannot attack defenseless people. Sure they can attack an afk person, or a person crafting, but that person has opted to have a pvp tag on. That does not make the person that attacks a bad person, It makes a point not to go afk with a pvp flag. This might be mitigated in the future with guards. Not sure how that is going to play out though. But I do understand your point :)

blaquerogue and Jordizzle like this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

A common misconception that flagging for PvP is saying that you declare war on the server and want to be attacked 24/7, you are just enabling the mechanics for it to be possible. Those that do attack are still pk'ing, as much as in any other game. The bad connotation tied to griefing and looting of innocent players also still applies, especially since looting is a future mechanic. Anti virtue is just a different way of saying the same thing. It has also already been made extremely clear in game the difference between pk'ing and taking it a step further into griefing, which is why as soon as you mention the word everybody immediately thinks of the same one or two names. Pk'er or anti-pk'er, they are just sides chosen that can both be fun... griefing is when it leaves the boundaries of gameplay and escalates into insults, threats and harassment.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Themo, you may not want to be attacked, thats true, but it is also true that you can be attacked. Just because you don't want to be attacked will not stop pvp. Can I ask what you consider griefing?

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

When somebody attacks me, i kill them and they then go to the overland map and whisper insults at me for 30 mins until i put them on ignore. Once on ignore, that player then uses /zone to follow me around unflagged for a week, trying to kill steal when i grind and getting anybody he/she can to pass along whispered insults to bypass the ignore feature. That person then attacks an event i hold, once again gets killed, so again removes the pvp flag and disrupts the event by spamming and annoying the participants. Still not satisfied that person then sends a series of emails and forum mails.

That's one example and not even the worst example.

blaquerogue, Silvanus, Womby and 7 others like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Poor themo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.