There's an opt-in subscription now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Preachyr, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Oh, it was not a yes or no concern!

What I meant was... will there be higher or lower cost options to choose from instead of the $9 one introduced?

I didn't want to commit to the first option only to find out there was another choice I would have preferred.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

ds said there would be. they didn't roll them out yet because they're still setting up the ability to transfer between levels.

3. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Attitudes like this is why we are in the current situation....

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

You really think so? You don't think it may be folks stamping their feet, flaming, threatening to leave if they don't get what they want.. etc?

5. 7thRankedNoob

7thRankedNoob Avatar

I COMPLETELY agree with Azzamean. When I initially read Rufus's reply I chuckled; not because I thought it was funny but because it is so self-defeating... This community is so small, we cannot have this foolish infighting.

The Rewards Program is a step in the right direction for the game (even if some disagree) because it will bring in easy monthly income to keep the lights on.

But, make no mistake... outside of SOTA's small little community, it is said community's reputation that is keeping this game down. I know many gamers that are not touching SOTA with a 10-foot pole because of this and it is not something that we can simply say "well, too bad for them..." any longer.

Xandra7, Pickley and majoria70 like this.
  6. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

You cant reason with the unreasonable. You can't rationalize with the irrational. If someone is going to get upset because they implemented an optional subscription service for those that want it... yeah. You need to cut the ties and deal with those that will actually have some common sense and constructive dialogue without imploding over nothing. You can see how that has worked out over the years. And no, I'm not talking about criticism. Criticism is good as long as its constructive and offers details. I'm talking about what @Steevodeevo points out, as well as those that post angrily for much about nothing. This is a completely optional thing Port/SotA did and people want to get angry about it. Yeah... they are not helping anything anyway.

If you want more PR, get out and put out objective and fair reviews on the game and try to attract players on the strong points of the game. It is a niche game, granted, and it'll never have WoW's numbers, but numbers doesn't mean it's not a good game. I think we can all agree it certainly needs more help in advertising and PR, but if you've ever read any of the hate threads outside of SotA, you'll know your fighting an uphill battle vs. very intolerant, impatient, irrational, and unreasonable people. Then factor in the trolls that just troll to troll and then those with an axe to grind and purposely push an agenda of negativity on any social media forums they can access. It's going to take more activity from players to balance the negativity and continual PR and advertisement from Portalarium promoting the game and it's strengths.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

The narrative that it's this community's fault somehow is the one that is pushed by those with an ax to grind (probably from being modered or banned from here is my guess) and who set that narrative up on places like you know where.

They call those of us that want to say, "hold on, look at things this way, instead of the way you're looking at it" white knights and whales and all kinds of derogatory names and laugh at us on here from there, but we're the ones upholding the virutes not them.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They are not focusing on this ahead of anything.

Other things are getting done also not just this and they are finally and I mean finally finishing a system that got pushed over and over each release. They would say"fishing has been pushed" and then pretty soon it was not mentioned again. Then when mentioned excuses were made until we found out that the issue is water needs upgraded first so it is all the right kind of water we need to facilitate things to come.

So here we are and I understand your worry about this but people also need to trust things will get finished in ways the game deserves. I have not lost faith but close to it a few times but I'm pretty stubborn.

I believe the new game structure will allow for stretch goals to be gotten out pretty quickly. Remember when we have had telethon aka livestreams we many times get 80-100k. If the plan is to move onto the next stretch goal once this one gets funded then we can get them all in.

Let's try to keep it constructive and helpful even if it takes a little longer to get our favorite systems in the long run it will make for a better game compared to rushed in unfinished systems do. Constructive will have a better chance of being heard. While at the same time letting the team know what we like and don't like to get all systems to be what is best for the game.

I understand exactly the disappointment that episode 2 will be starting out with out systems we all wanted it to have but due to funding issues the team had to make the hard Decisions to go forward. If mounts are first let's just provide feedback to get those in game the best we can. Imo once funded they should move right on to boating since it has been a very requested system through the years.

Also with the upcoming fishing update hopefully the waters of the map are also getting unified to work for fish type needs and larger waters for boats requirements.

I truly hope for focus from now on to plan a head paving the way for upcoming things. If this is not the way things are being done from now on that is a big mistake and one of the main problems all along with this project. And of course just imo.

Everything coming in has always seemed like it was a surprise and unplanned for. We need to stop that and plan ahead. Such as water uses was always going to be for fishing and boating well and environment. Let us Pre-code for things.

Achievements is another system that was never pre-coded for elements of that to track our discoveries and reward us for those.

And true at the beginning of this game no one had an idea of how huge of scope this game would be so pre-planning wasn't possible for something unknown but what you resist will persist. People want this game to be their virtual home not just another game. We have lots of requirements for that home. We want fun and full featured systems to come in. Not half baked systems with continued promises of improvements over months or years. I hate that.

Now some things I speculate of course but truly now I am hoping we focus ahead and pre-code for the future systems where needed and where possible as we go forward paving a much easier path to success.

The start may have been rocky but hang in there community. I believe we will reap the rewards and have a very successful game and virtual home for all of us who love the potential this game has .

Sorry I got so long and wordy here. I believe we can do it right from now on.

And fyi not just talking to the quoted person. Sorry if it seemed so

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Actually, this is a very clever way to circumvent taxes! I am not paying taxes on my monthly donation. My paypal account shows exactly $9 for this, no added taxes. Because I did not buy anything, I made a donation. Big difference. Clever. Good!

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Wait, I'm confused, is that supposed to be you cosplaying as Deadpool, waving goodbye? Last I checked you were done with the forums, or am I mistaken? ;)

Hornpipe and Vyrin like this.
  11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

The part of the community that actually wants to build something despite mistakes, disappointments and setbacks will always be at odds with the smaller, but louder part of the community who come at the game from the perspective that it sucks. The builders will always wave good-bye to those that tear down the game at every turn. At least we try to be polite about it and use Deadpool to convey the message. :p

Social engineering is real. And I have been witness for 3.5 years of the incredible dedication that some people have to making sure that this game fails. It goes beyond trolling, it goes beyond being off put by changes in development or lack of development. It goes beyond griefing. This social engineering is explicitly calculated to attack the game, the Devs, LB and the community on a constant basis. That way people have a bad impression from the get go. Social engineers know that some people prefer to be told what to like and what to hate. Social engineers know that some people won't try things and make up their own minds, it's just easier to follow the herd mentality. The outreach to those people is very successful. Word of mouth can be powerful when it's to spread hate. THAT is a big part of why we are in this current situation.

There is a rewards program now. Something new to attack! Something new to hate! Pfft.

Provide constructive criticism, try to help look for solutions, work with the community to build not tear down. Otherwise, some of us WILL wave good-bye and hope the door doesn't hit you on the way out.

12. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for your feedback here.

As a reminder, our forums allow for criticisms when delivered in a courteous and respectful manner - concerns about moderation should be directed to support@portalarium.com

eagell, Jaesun and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.