These are not basements...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Devoid, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

...These are bloody dungeons! Player housing basements
    With basements like these, who needs to explore the world? Players can just explore each other's basement dungeon.
    We are going to need some nomenclature here. What constitutes a "basement" and what constitutes a "dungeon"?
    Suddenly, the expression "Living in your parents basement" conjures up new images.

Furthermore, this calls into consideration: Will we age ingame? Say a player disappears in his/her dun- er, basement, and doesn't reappear for days/weeks/months/years, will he/she look like he/she has been away for a time? i.e. need a shave, haircut, is pale from lack of sunlight, etc....

Another interesting aspect is how some players will be using all that space. Smack insinuated that he will principally be creating his own dragon's lair of hoarded treasure! (...and I thought burglary was overrated.)

I'll create my sacrificing chamber in my base- er, dungeon (I'm not into torture, that is just sick!), but, honestly, dragging my sacrificial victims down four flights sounds tedious. Will we have escalators? Elevators? Maybe I'll have to have a servant do it for me... oh wait, what if the servant is the sacrifice?

If I'm playing an 85-year old, how the heck am I suppose to run up-and-down all those flights of stairs? Particularly if I start/end from the second floor of my house?!
    By Jove!

MagiK, OSullivan, Kambrius and 3 others like this.
  2. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

As the the lore behind the recent scene jam, the catacombs extend for the most part under the whole continent, so it makes sense that some houses will actually have something of it's ilk beneath them. It actually links close to over in Egypt where some tombs were actually found under peoples houses and thier ancestors had looted them long ago, people were using them as cellars. the idea of a gold sarcophagus converted into a beer cooler in someones cellar *blinks twice*

TigerKhan likes this.
  3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I'm looking forward to a skyscraper attic!

OSullivan and TigerKhan like this.
  4. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I like the basement idea, a place to store/horde things that you might find cluttering the house itself if you have several players living in a house together. I'm going to make my bed down there.

5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I like the inclusion of basements overall, but if I were in charge, 2, 3, and 4-story basements would be much more expensive/rare.

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well I swore I would not do it, but I might have to add-on that Stone and Timber basement. It looks really cool, and I am a little bummed the Citizen Village house isn't more fancy. Having a fancier basement migth help and $15 is not too bad... if I can hide the charge from my wife. ;)

I think that going 4 floors on a large plot will be kind of crazy, but basements are a neat idea.

Wsye and Dame Lori like this.
  7. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Oh yeah, that reminds me Umbrae, now that these "basements" are in the add-on store, we are going to see the cash roll in and the amount pledged sky-rocket! We need to talk about new stretch goals! ;):p:D

8. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Well for me 1 basement level is enough for now, that leaves me something to gain ingame later. Slowly build that catacomb! I consider 1st priority to be fancy house, because that is what everyone sees anyway :) Looks Looks, Oh the vanity!

9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Can't we just have it like minecraft so we can dig out the rooms how we like them?
    Yes you can only dig to an invisible barrier on the sides where our property ends.
    And maybe allow us to connect hallways or rooms to our neighbors if we want.
    Of course you still get to allow people to use certain rooms, doors, chests, etc.
    So a large part of the underground world would be different hallways and rooms of players cutting through their property?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lizardchunk and Fox_Cunning like this.
  10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I'll be in my wine cellar should you need me. *Inspects an old, dusty, fine wine* Ah yes! Such a good year that was for that district... *Pop - gluckgluckgluck*

By-Tor and TigerKhan like this.
  11. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

there not really dungons (in the game sense, not the real world sense) beause unless I have missed something you can't populate them with monsters. Maybe if your PvP you could put some traps or something in there and maybe a reward of your own (though I cant see how given what we have herd on the limitations on house permissions) but its still not going to be a real dungon unless you can populate it with respawnable monsters. ESPECAILLY from the perspective of you doing your own dungon again and again

12. G Din

G Din Avatar

I'd see major roleplay potential if you could setup a 5 level cellar like a dungeon. Traps, monsters, etc. hmmmmm......

13. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

I do think a sprawling 5-level basement underneath an itty-bitty village home seems.... odd.

Like there might be some mad science going on down there.

And maybe there is...

But yeah, this whole thing just strikes me as (A) a solution to a problem, but also (B) a little bit silly.

I mean seriously, just gaze at the image:

[​IMG]

.. oh well, it IS a fantasy world...

OSullivan, RelExpo and Wsye like this.
  14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yes, indeed. No sacrifices or treasure in my basement. Just lots and lots of wine!

Mordecai likes this.
  15. G Din

G Din Avatar

I know it looks crazy, but it is rare to have this type of housing setup in a game. Huge potential. In UO you could add a cellar, but not to this degree.

I'm fine with it. Go crazy !!

16. stile

stile Avatar

Ive always thought that in real life i was rich enough i was building my, say Britannia MAnor.. Id want 3 or 4 levels going down underneath, with one or two secret.

Also land is a preium.. by that I dont mean for us as players, but in the fantasy setting.. becuase what translates for us as players in that regards translates into the setting as well! So if your living in a world where land is a premium, its going to make a LOT of sense for you to find alternatives. You can go up, or you can go down.

Technology and magic aviliability, probally makes it simpler to go down for the less rich and make more sense then going up. In the above photo with the small house and a 5 level basement? there you hafve your poor farmer with his small house, that cant afford a large stonework keep.. and he needs his land to farm on. So financially hes done well in growing your rare reagents and so forth, and has been able to go 5 levels deep to proivide more storage and living space. It would probally almost become a cultural thing and very common.

Finally, I can see land being a preium because of all of us avatars invading an already populated world.

Its just a matter of taking your preception of what your use to and altering that perception to see how it could ratinoally fit in this situation.. and frankly, theres reasons it could. I dont think its silly at all, I love what they are doing with the basements.. and im very appreciative of the price the put on them in the store. They didnt price gouge...

basements probalyl will be fairly easy to get in game with gold, because if you own the land plot.. well then.. its just a matter of raising the funds, not competing for the space. So to have sold them for large dollar amounts wouldhave been gouging a bit. Instead they put a very reasonable price on them, when compared to say a land plot which has that very big difference to it. I appreciate that even if im not personalyl buying - I want to see them make money, profit well, and be fat and happy Dev's. At the same time i want to see rasonable pricing, and i think the basements reflect that.

The addition of basmenets is one of my #1 favorite additions i have seen yet. Go Dev's!

NirAntae, By-Tor and smack like this.
  17. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

OK, so they said they weren't finished. If we buy a basement now can we upgrade to another released later?

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

what happened to the city in the catacomes and if its still happerning do those plots have basements because that would be ammusing (very like the underdark :p)

19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

They'll work like houses; you can swap them out.

20. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

did you read that somewhere or just assuming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.