Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

These boots were made for walking

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I had an idea regarding shoes.

I don't think that combat should impact shoe or boot deterioration.

Instead, I think shoes and boots should be handled differently. I think they should degrade a small amount as you travel in them. This means that you will never have to worry about fighting in them, but the more you move about the more they will degrade and require repairs.

This seems like a more immerssive way to make footwear meaningful than it currently is.

2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This sounds great. With weather coming online in another month, (release 21), why not have the weather, and seasons and biomes all affect shoes as well. These are my water boots. These are my swamp boots. These are my desert boots. These are my boots I use to step on the bones of my enemies. Fire-resistance could be useful near lava or dragon dens.. wearing sandals in the summer provides bonuses, as do snow boots when its snowing. Crafting with the magic schools should do nicely to make some of these variations. Maybe we could craft some "Air-Starr's" that give a small jumping bonus..

Various boots could affect the speed that you can travel over the various biomes of the overland/underworld maps too.

I think specialized boots should have bonuses like faster speed, lower durability loss, in their intended environment, and negatives in their opposites. (don't wear swamp boots in the desert) While there could be all-purpose adventure boots that have very low bonuses across the board.

We could even have 'town shoes' that are designed to provide their bonuses within towns specifically.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I like it! Great way to take an existing mechanic and make it even better!

4. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Sounds different and interesting .... I don't think anyone could argue the immersion point either :)

Jocularis likes this.
  5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I could, and do, argue that doing life's little mundane chores in the name of immersion (changing shoes, making your bed, going potty, etc.) comes at the direct cost of more important, effective and entertaining immersion elsewhere in the game (exploring, fighting, harvesting, partying with friends, etc.).

Oh I'm fighting this dragon but dangit my shoes are worn out so I need to leave, find a cobbler, and come back another time. Thanks be to providence for such immersion.

Aimend, Aldo, Ashlynn [Pax] and 2 others like this.
  6. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

True ,but ,its a item that already degrades it degrades realistically ,apse to all the mace and sword hits shoes will take :) and its a good reason to slow its decay down.

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Happy to slow down the decay but Drocis wants to speed the decay up via walking. I don't want to be penalized for exploring!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm actually saying two things...

1. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to make boots take damage for fighting in combat. The only way that makes any logical sense is really if you're fighting slime all day. Very few hits if any would hit a player below the ankles.
    2. The decay being very slow on boots seems fine with me, so long as it's tied to walking around. It's just a more immerssive way to use and have an item that is make for walking/running. It makes it so when you are roleplaying it's more meaningful to say "I really wore these shoes out hiking in the Spectral Peaks" as opposed to saying "I need to repair my boots because they're at 10%".

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK, agree with your #1 and sentiment behind #2. Just would prefer to not have to deal with any shoe decay. Now SOCK decay, that's a whole 'nother nest of dragon eggs.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I would think though if your footwear didn't take damage during fights we'd have people running about barefoot,(which I'd be fine with) because you can toughen your feet up over time with callouses. :) I know in UO, my hubby use to walk around with no shoes because he didn't really need footwear.

Budner and Miracle Dragon like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

True, but you wouldn't gain any benefits from footwear either. Miracle had some good suggestions for those.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

And to make it even more realistic we could make cloth shoes have a time limit of walkin upon snow before your toes freeze and you have to amputate your feet. We could then make a crafting recipe for crutches (wooden poles and cotton thread!) that would let you still walk with 50% speed. Just hope that they will not break before reaching town or you will be forced to crawl! 10% speed! And if your focus runs out while crawling (constant drain based on the temperature, dynamically calculated from the current weather)you have no strength to go on. You have lay there for 1 hour waiting to finally freeze and die.

Guys...guys......

Please...

Don't make it over complicated and boring like real life. Also, I think the devs have better things to do than shoe decay system :)

13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I think I'll just go barefoot.

Miracle Dragon, Budner and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Boots already decay in the game, so just changing the reason for decay from battle damage to actual use from walking doesn't have to be over-complicated. All the ideas I mentioned because they can compliment this design, and help limit decay. I personally get tired of how overly combat-centric gameplay tends to be, and 'boots made for walking' helps alleviate some of the unreasonable aspects of that.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think smashing someone in the foot would be a viable tactic in combat. And if no deterioration occured on boots in combat, then you couldnt rightly say they provide any sort fo protection in combat.

16. reezer

reezer Avatar

What if shoes or boots had an effect on traveling speed in the overworld map, maybe even that different shoes benefit you on snow/swamp/... I don't think they should have a penalty, cause that could be very annoying.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

i liked you. But just say thanks to Bill Murray

Budner likes this.
  18. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

So, wear boots for fighting, and accept the wear and tear. Become a monk and learn to kill stuff with your naked hands and feet with no wear. And for sure, take off your shoes when travelling to prevent wear.

Pretty immersive. I agree with Budner on this. Oh, and don't forget, if you run out of that bread in your pack that you are constantly consuming, thats another reason to leave the encounter to fetch some new vittles.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.