Thieves!!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bugos, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

Some of the rare items that you could get from stealing from NPC's and inside towns were not useful in any way at all.

They had really long respawn times, and were just cool house decorations for the most part.

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I thought you were against the Lord level @postulio due to the house and staying at the Knight level?

RG is right with having 1 character per account.

Thieving from other players needs to have a switch I can turn off or I am running around naked! Trust me you don't want to see that.

3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

1- Yep I am. Whatever post you're referring to was written before that decision (although I will bump back up to Lord if the rewards become worth it)

2- He is not right.

3- Run around naked and I will slaughter you out of general principle. If you choose PvP world, be ready to PvP (which includes potentially being robbed).

4. Duke Gréagóir

Yea. That is the right motivation to get me to PvP with ya there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I'd rather you stay out of it completely, in fact, if you want to separate PvP and theft mechanics.

I think thats what a lot of people don't get... us PvPers dont necessarily care if non-PvPers are there or not. There are enough of us to play the way we want, with death, looting, theft and danger. I like the separation since it keeps non-PvPers from from whining and crying and making up stupid rules and ruining PvPing mechanics.

6. Duke Gréagóir

First you invite me by saying you will kill me when you see me. Then you say you don't want me there when I rise up to the challenge.

Can't figure you out man.

7. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Meh all this thief hate. Lots of people already stated ways to deter them.
    1 Thieves couldn't call guards. If you couldn't kill a naked guy with 400 skill points invested into proper thieving skills (chances are you were mounted as well) then that's just insane.

2 You could stack stuff on top of valuable items. Those deathrobes were great for that. Cover your bandies, reagent bags, arrows, gold or whatever else.

3 Most people didn't bother using their "secondary skills". Back in the classic days your stats gave you bonuses to skills. Str gave X percent of it's value to str based skills. Same thing with Int and Dex. They weren't great but they were useful. I think with 100 str 100 dex and 25 int it gave you like 35.0 camping or something. You had detect hidden, TRACKING and forensic evaluation based on just raw stats alone. Hiding, parrying, You get the picture. It evened out to JOAT and most of the time even better. I'm almost positive you could tame either horses or llamas with the boost from stats alone.

4 One mage spell alone worked wonders. Magic Trap. Thief sticks his grubby little paws in a container and kaboom. Huge explosion. Graphic wise it was a 6 tile explosion effect going off around whoever was holding the (15gp at any provision shop) box. Not to mention it was extremely loud. You would have to have been afk and outside mowing the grass to miss it. I even carried those around out in the field. You'd be surprised how many people will kill you. Pop your corpse open. Then open up a box on your corpse with no regard to healing themselves up (ohhhh shiny/gets excited) then blow themselves up. I've killed my killers with that one. Loled all the way to the wandering healer, then back to my corpse and theirs. Work smart not hard.

5 West Brit wasn't the only bank in the game.
    Number of times I was stolen from using every other bank except West Brit = zero. Walking into West Brit bank to hang out with stuff in your backpack would be like going to see a movie in Detroit. Leaving your car parked in the lot with the doors open and keys in front seat.

8. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

Allow robbing of homes and all characters. Characters should wander the area there where when they logged off and when they are not playing. ;) No place to hide, no peace of mind! :p

9. Warlord Greebo

Warlord Greebo Avatar

Well I am sure many of us can share a fond thief story. I know I do so I will.

Remember when those first black dye tubs were discovered?? Well you know, I was a thief, and therefore I had to have one. And like all serious town thieves; I had a buddy who was a 'looter'.

The mark was bragging about having the dye tub 'pure black the only one in the game!' 2 seconds later I was in the bags snooping, 1 second later I had stolen the dye tub; GUARD WHACKED POOR ME! 2 seconds after that my buddy looted me and banked the tub.

Didn't know you could dye items without the tub leaving the bank? Well you could, and if you were hot on the throttle, you could bank your things often before the mark noticed, and the guards whacked you.

Anyhow, to make a long story short; we had the 'noble' players and everyone else who wanted the "first pure black in the game items dyed for 3k each." Was really funny we had players lined up all along the front of the WBB. After all, we had something they wanted - the demand was there..... and our fingers were so busy dying everyones clothes and collecting all that coin.. we were too busy to steal from them!

I don't think many even cared that we used thievery to get them lined up. And mmo's being what they are, after 20 mins or so no one really knew that we were theives who had now turned into merchants!

Ahh, it was a good day in ole Brittania:)

10. vjek

vjek Avatar

Ah yes, the ongoing plague of bank thieves. And people wonder why all the customers left UO?

11. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I think they had left to go play hello kitty online.

Just like saying they left because they got PKed. Or they left because they lost all there loot when they died. If you didn't know how easy it was to protect yourself from a thief, you deserved to be stolen from.

Ferrus and Envy / Midian like this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Sorry folks. Many of us backing SotA are still playing UO after 15+ years. We never left the adventure.

Hazard likes this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I mean really.....what's the point of having a thief if you can't steal from another player???

That's what killed off the thief in UO, with item insurance, poorly thought out weight restrictions.......all a thief could steal was about 15 bandages and about 3 potions........no fun and no point.

14. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I remember one of the first times i came across a combat thief. I was out in the woods hunting and a naked guy ran by as a criminal. At first i just ignored him but he came back, persistent little bugger, so i decided to follow him and I thought I would be able to take him easy. when we started to fight, he got in a few good wacks, but luck would have it, I had a pile of bandages to heal myself with, that is until it was too late for me to notice the entire time we are fighting he slowly stealing my stack of bandages little by little. Needles to say I lost that fight and watched as he looted all the valuables off my body and that feeling you get from getting out smarted and pwned by another player that has not been recreated by any other game. BTW I also loved the idea and made a combat thief myself and never looked back.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

The biggest problem with UO thieves in general, and bank thieves in particular, was the ridiculously short timeout on criminal status. 2 minutes was far too short to provide an effective deterrent, as was obvious by the piles of thief bodies around the bank. You don't forget about the person who just tried to steal from you 2 minutes ago. They should have made the time out something like 8 hours, to that once a person is identified as a thief, they can't just come back two minutes later to try again, or if they do, you can attack them on sight, or call the guards on them before they get a chance to try.

Envy / Midian likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Good question. My thief is more like Indiana Jones stealing relics and Artifacts from caves and temples. Tokuno stealables anyone?

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Personally I woudnt consider Indiana Jones as a 'thief'

"thief
    θiːf/
    noun
    noun: thief; plural noun: thieves
    a person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth and without using force or threat of violence.
    "thieves broke into a house on York Close"
    synonyms: robber, burglar, housebreaker, cat burglar, shoplifter, pickpocket, sneak thief, mugger, larcenist, stealer, pilferer, poacher; embezzler, swindler; criminal, villain; kleptomaniac; raider, looter, plunderer, pillager, marauder; bandit, brigand, pirate, highwayman; dacoit; informalcrook, cracksman, steamer; informalyegg, second-story man/worker; informaltief; rhyming slangtea leaf; archaiccutpurse, pickpurse, footpad, lurcher; rarepeculator, defalcator"

18. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

I think the correct term is.... TREASURE HUNTER!

"I prefer the term 'treasure hunting'!" ~Locke Cole

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

A grave robber.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/archaeology-grave-robbing.htm

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...overs-that-his-bid-for-tenure-has-been-denied

: )

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I did say personally I didn't consider him a thief........

Anyway the point is, in general terms a thief takes possessions of other people or in this kind of instance another player..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.