Thieves!!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bugos, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterThief

MasterThief Avatar

Why not introduce detectives? like the forensic eval skill in UO. Give the stolen item a timer and if a detective can track down and apprehend said thief and the item rubber bands back to the owners bank. If the timer runs out the item is now able to be transferred among the population as loot. This gives people the opportunity to retrieve their items, and also challenges the thief to not be found out. The timer would not run down unless the person is playing. Therefore logging is of no help, dropping the item to secure in a house or on the ground rubber-bands the item to the owner (lost/found). Heck make detectives a hire-able NPC, and use the same mechanic UO uses now in Dungeon Wrong for the "Jailers".

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

@MalakBrightpalm
    Still I would rather have some mini game then trying to reach down someones pants.
    Someone might get the wrong idea.

3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

@Jondavis I agree there completely. I am suggesting variable difficulty inventory spaces, the precise mechanic is not something I was presuming to choose. I too would like to avoid reaching down another dude's pants, even digitally. Of course, that's all part of the basic security plan with those hidden pouches.

4. rild

rild Avatar

lol - thread now officially worth it :D

jondavis and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  5. Terran Priest

Terran Priest Avatar

I like the detective idea, but the apprehend thief, I'm not sure what you mean, but it's lame.

I don't think someone should be able to get their item back, unless they kill the thief and take it back.

Otherwise, no.

6. Terran Priest

Terran Priest Avatar

NO!

That doesn't even make sense. It's more difficult for a thief to steal when they're dead. Otherwise, any other 'mechanics' is a waste of programming and time; imo.

7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

You don't think it's reasonable that I have an inside jacket pocket, maybe one held shut by a drawstring or a button, that is harder to pickpocket? That's the kind of defense that people in the real world have developed against pickpockets. Why shouldn't it be used in the simulated world of the game?

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  8. skater8352

skater8352 Avatar

I loved how they incorporated stealing into factions with needing 80.0 stealing to get Sigils. Made Faction PVP so dynamic, where you had to defend the theif etc. But you couldn't steal if you died and were in stat loss. Games like AION tried to replicate this but it really didn't have the freedom UO had. Too streamlined and I think that is because of the "newbie friendly" mentality.

Sir_Tim and Mordecai like this.
  9. Gronk

Gronk Avatar

I REALLY want to see Thievery make a come back in this game. There needs to be pickpocketing skills, snooping, etc. That and being stalked/killed by a PK in UO are some of the best memories I have of that game, and I haven't played an MMORPG that gave me the same thrill as being in the woods and having Alice Cooper, pop out of hiding and start chasing me around. Then the corpse run and trying to find that rat bastard to give him some pay back! I think that was the Chesapeake server. You out there Alice? Good times, man!

10. Dracowyr

Dracowyr Avatar

Having this man chasing you, would indeed be scary!

[​IMG]

I'm all for theivery, though I tend not to engage in the practice myself. To deter thieves, players could carry around locked containers - magical and otherwise.

I can imagine that the mechanics, if they are done correctly, would be complicated.

11. God

God Avatar

@silent strider I hate to use this comparison, but you shouldn't be limited to what you can steal unless it is too heavy, like in UO. Can't steal anything heavier than 10 stones.. Why limit the amount of money a thief can make? It's a viable profession just like black smithing or tailoring.

12. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Hated thieves.... But loved them... Yes it was a love hate thing but I respect the skill 10 fold.

13. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I really like the idea of just using a weight limit here for thieving. Makes sense that I might not notice you taking a small purse of coins but if you pick up my broad sword the weight difference is obvious. Not to mention you trying to get it out of the sheath is noticible, etc. However, if this does make a come back (which I'm all for) I'd like to see us able to organize our bags like the old way, where there aren't 'slots' and you can pile things up to 'hide' your valuables. Just like 'sewing a pocket" into something to hide a key etc.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Thieves in UO.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Ahh Did you hang out Around Yew Gronk? South to be a bit more precise .... , I’m sure several servers Had a Alice Cooper but Chessys was an Evil dude for sure ,, he would PK other Dread Lords. He would ease up after he seen some one over and over but he was still a bit ruthless ...Mind you this was before stat loss so it wasn’t as big a deal, Stat loss brought somewhat a code among Reds .. unless you "Griefed". If i recall He left with the changes of stat loss, Murder counts. or said he did Or it was said he did I don’t recall ,, might have re rolled to remain a bit of a Legend of the days long gone....

16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I'm not sure which of my posts you are replying to, but the point in limiting stealing in some way is to prevent it from being too viable. To use your own example, it should be roughly as viable a profession as blacksmithing or tailoring, with roughly the same treasure accumulation speed on average.

Otherwise, if stealing is clearly the best way to amass riches, players that aren't naturally inclined to steal would nevertheless play thieves just for the riches, creating a surplus of thieves that likely isn't healthy for the game.

vjek and Mordecai like this.
  17. God

God Avatar

Even in UO, especially after the house looting patches, Etc, stealing was never the best way to "amass riches."

18. strife

strife Avatar

Is there going to be some form of thieving in the game? someone in the chat said since there is going to be an ignore fuction on the online version it would be impossible to have active thieves in towns.

Have we gotten a definite answer if there is going to be pick pocketing or a shadowbane type move where you can at least backstab someone.

ya thieving wasn't the best way to get rich but it was always very fun to play one. SotA has to have thieving.

19. strife

strife Avatar

We need to have a stealing skill on this game, would be lame to not have it.

20. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I agree viable profession, just like Murdering. I dont think there should be any limit. But there are a lot of people that want it otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.