This card system is for the birds

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by netbios2005, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

Just to be clear I was not saying combat in UUW or U7 were superior. Just watching RG play the prototype filled me with nostalgia for how much I loved playing those games.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I've been playing Ultima Underworld for the first time recently, and I really like the combat system in that because it strikes a really good balance between being real time on the one hand, but still working OK with all the slowness and clunkiness inherent in a really old 3d game. That's exactly the feeling I don't get from SoA, which just kind of moves too fast for that kind of menu driven combat to mesh with its real time component.

I particularly like building spells from runes rather than just activating them and paying the garlic tax. That's the sort of thing where I would really see a great niche for a random draw system, and I'm honestly kind of annoyed that this sort of Words of Power or Logos thing has been a staple of Richard Garriott's games for so long and now that we're getting one where in depth knowledge of runes would actually pay off it has disappeared on us.

Fox Cunning and Shadoweaver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.