This Flag System is disincentivizing PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xail, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

My understanding is it isn't safe to be a healer if there are PVP flagged people around, even if they are in your party and you are all engaged in the same PVE quest. A misdirected heal from you could get you flagged for PVP. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

No you cant rez unless in party.

If you are in a group and just 1 person is pvp flagged in your group, you cant heal them or rez them without flagging yourself.

Fister Magee likes this.
  3. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

The easiest fix is remove the ability for a non flagged person to attack a flagged person. There is no reason it should work like this anyways. Either flag for pvp or don't. Then there is no more discussion on this topic. We can move on to another issue.

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

No PvP Flag unable to attack PvP flagged is my oppinion.
    Should not risk a pvp flagged person getting in the way of your attacks and thus flagging you pvp.

5. Xail

Xail Avatar

I agree that could be an easy fix to implement...

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The whole point of making it so that a non-flagged person could attack a flagged person was because "there was not enough PVP in the game." By adding this feature, it created more opportunities for PVP in general because if someone felt in the mood, they didn't have to go visit an Oracle, flag, then come back to fight. So casual PVPers could partake without fully committing.

It also made it easier for people to participate in events and tournaments and such because you could remain flagged until you left the scene.

I think overall, it made it easier for non-PVPers to try some PVP. Without this feature, you would be back to the same few who were doing it all along before (and perhaps some new players entering the game).

If you like the challenge of PVP, then you should welcome this feature and not complain that it gives someone an advantage over you. IMO, there is no difference between a non-flagged attacking you and a stealthed person attacking you while being hidden. In both cases, someone else can get a jump on you and catch you off-guard. If you flag PVP, you should ALWAYS be prepared to be jumped when not suspecting it. If you don't or can't deal with being jumped, then you should NOT be flagged.

To a degree, this feature can be an advantage to a non-flagged person. They could easily pretend to be a "friendly" person and sneak you in the middle of a normal conversation. So the extra "setup" or misleading opportunity is there for sure. But this type of behavior would likely come from someone new to PVP in SOTA and who needs a small advantage to compete. If you are a savvy PVPer and have more experience, then this advantage should be able to be overcome.

That said, the ability for a non-flagged to clear the PVP tag just by zoning out is a gripe that has merit. It is a bit unfair that you can catch someone off guard, smack them around a bit, then leave the zone and be fully protected from any retaliation.

However, it's just as easy for a flagged person to sneak attack from stealth, kill you, then sheath their weapon and recall home. Then, once there, go see the Oracle and unflag them self to be protected from you. So there are mechanics for either flagged or non-flagged to do the same things.

So all things considered, I think that if they removed this feature all it would do is reduce the amount of PVP in the game and not really change anything for the better.

Phydra and SeleneNoctua like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The seven day idea is well intended, but it is not uncommon to accidentally engage in PvP because the opponent got into the range of a pve fight. Plus there are other exploits PvP players use to trap an opponent.

In the case of unintended attack, the 7 days could mean taking a week off for some people.

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

+1 for 7 day PvP flag cooldown to prevent abuse.

Brink1123, Tahru and Moonshadow like this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I agree. I think if any 7-day rule were to be applied, it would have to be based upon a kill by the non-flagged player. Of course, even that could be exploited by a flagged person running into the line of fire while nearly out of health... but a simple accidental hit on a flagged player should not warrant a 7-day PVP flag.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Couldn't be farther from the truth. My understanding of what you want and what you seek is clear. It's the same conversation that has existed since the age of MUDs and dialup.

What you must have missed with my post is your solution does not address your area of concern.

If you are 100% going to die in PvP based on the opening hit then what you are talking about is a problem. If skill and preparation keeps you alive then the second a non flagged attacks a flagged you are only 1 move behind the non flagged (which is now flagged)

If you are concerned about someone killing you, taking your stuff, then unflagging. There are many other options available. Muling the loot or logging for example.

Since you don't think I know what you want I will return that statement with one right back at you. Do you know what PvP is in SotA and the purpose of PvP?

Remember, there is a moral system. Openly attacking people without provocation might not be all that desireable of a act. How's your OP fit into that equation?

11. Xail

Xail Avatar

...I don't get why people talk like I feel I'm in troubles being flagged and getting attacked...I'm not flagged from a long time and I'm the one that goes around attacking flagged people...

...moreover this is a thread about the effect of a game dynamics not about me or any specific player...

Duchess Fionwyn and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I agree that flagging to make a kill and then escaping to clear your flag before returning to gloat is dastardly. I'm not surprised that it happens, and think forcing a flag for a bit is not a bad idea. I am concerned for healers though, if something like this were to happen.

If a player is healing in a PvE party and temp flags to heal or res a flagged player, I don't think it would be fair or right to force them to be open to attack after they leave an instance. Along the lines of what Daxxe said, I think that actually killing another avatar should be what forces a flag and not just the act of temp flagging, if such a thing is possible. A player should be able to get their jollies attacking someone who is flagged when they are not, but there should be consequences and a chance for retaliation.

Beaumaris and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  13. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, please tone it down a bit and be respectful in the way you address one another.

Tahru and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  14. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

I find it funny the guys complaining are known pks ROTFL.

Phydra and Katrina Bekers like this.
  15. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I seem to like the current mechanic for flagging in PvP. It gives players who don't normally engage in player conflict the ability to do so at their leisure. It's opportunist PvP, I would just add a few additional controls to the way it works. I would also like to see a Death list (which players killed you) and an Aggression list (which players attacked you)

1. Players that activate their PvP flag by attacking other players who have their PvP flag enabled should have a 1 minute timer that prevents them from exiting the zone. Recall and Teleport would not be affected by this.

2. Players that continually activate their PvP flag by attacking other PvPer's may find their PvP flag is activated after they've exited the zone for incrementally longer and longer periods of time. These players must consult the oracle to ask for protection again and incur some sort of fee to turn their PvP flag off, the higher the PvP timer the more gold it requires.

One thing you might consider in PvP areas: Player deaths resulting from NPCs/monsters creates an unclaimed ransom. If other players are in the area, they can loot these items, or return them to the player through the ransom system. If no players are in the area, NPC's can loot the ransom and you have to kill the monsters to get it back. If another player kills the monster who has the ransomed items, he/she can double click them in the inventory to settle the ransom. (eg: give the items back, or 'take' the items which results in a normal item ransom situation)

In this type of situation I would change the hue of the ransom icon - so players can see their own ransom's vs other players, maybe green with a red eye instead of all red or w/e.

If you allowed this in PvE environments, looting another player's ransom would activate your PvP flag. This would follow the same rules of #2 above. Perhaps in the future this type of thing might only be in 'dangerous adventure zones' or whatever.

Yes, this would add more strife to the game and more difficulty - but when players are losing items, this creates more demand for crafters to create more items and/or players to buy existing items in the market. If players are making their own items anyway, then they would have to get more resources to make them, and if they don't have the resources to do so, they may end up searching through player vendors and public vendors to buy resources .. thus helping the economy.

Phydra and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Without going in deep here, and I may have my facts wrong because I've not tried flagging to attack someone - I am going to say that I appreciate removing as many barriers as possible for players to enter pvp. Absolutely, that's a good thing.

But.

I think that pvp players live in constant danger, but this danger should be from other pvp players. It just seems a little odd that you can walk around safely without a flag and be safe and then wait until you see a pvp player who sees a peaceful player adventuring around them - and then that peaceful player pulls out a flag and attacks.

Getting jumped by a pvp group is probably a little annoying, getting jumped by a peaceful group would be more so.

It seems to me that this encourages even pvp'ers to unflag and look for those brave enough to flag.

It would be nice if there was some sort of indicator that someone was flagging to attack - an emote with sound or a line of text (a predatory gleam enters Lord Andernut's eyes), or whatever.

Something that lets you lower the barriers of entry for peaceful players to pvp but doesn't always give them the first hit.

17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

pvp for the pve'er

Fister Magee and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you are pointing fingers at the flagging system as the cause of people not flagging you'd be off target.

People don't flag because there is no reason to flag. The purpose of PvP isn't established when it comes to open PvP. You (ambiguous you, not you specifically, since there seems to be some confusion with this) either flag because you want to be open PvP or you don't flag. No reason more than that.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am sorry but "accidental" engaging a PvP players is no excuse. If they are in the area and you are fighting and hit an area effect spell then you are playing with a PvP person with full knowledge that you shold be in control of oyur actions, true a Pvp flagged player could sneak close you you and purposefully instigate or flag you and this would have to be looked at and dealt with. (( Look Below for an idea . . )))

As for these reasons that if a players flags they should be forced to STAY PvP for a more extended period of time, being able to walk out and back in is really an insult to the PvP players. It is akin to running into a Snow Ball fight with and ice ball and running straight into your house after you throw, it is a joke.

Now as for the above instance where a PvP player walks inot a Area Affect Spell, and gets hit - - - I would just throw up a warning to BOTH the PvP player AND the PvE fighter and let them know that if continued . . .

a. The PvP player keep trying to instigate a Flagging system needs to be implemented so the PvE player can report the PvP player and once this "bug" type report is sent a small log is recorded. Players that continue to abuse this mechanic and caught more than 3 times are banned to PvP only zones for 30 Days (in game, not offline) , and the second time, BANNED as they are plainly just instigators.
    b. The PvE player that continues to encroach onto the PvP player and cast area spells and after the 3rd time is Flagged PvP for 7 Game Time Days (logged in real time) As the player was instigating, and the same "bug" mechanic can be initiated and if a PvE player is caught for the same 3 instances they are Flagged PvP for the same 30 Day (in game) time since they clearly want to PvP but want to exploit a mechanic to jump into a fight. If caught a second time PvP perma flagged . . . .

Now we are going to get the argument about healing . . . This is simple if you are healing a PvP player they HAVE to be in your party and NOT in combat with another player. If they are in a PvP fight then you are part of (b.) above and are really a PvPer who is hiding.

Again a simple change to the penalty to flagging, other than just running out and back needs to be addressed.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I guess you have not experienced how PvP ers play. The assumption that the player would know is false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.