This Flag System is disincentivizing PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xail, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

Anyone who wants PVP can flag for it, enter PVP zones (basements, POTs and Shardfalls), or join a guild that engages in guild warfare. It doesn't and shouldn't have any impact on those who have no interest in PVP.

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and in addition to that people should not be able to jump into PVP at any moment without going and flagging for it. :) they should have to flag at the Oracle.

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Some people may say "but you like pvp getting attacked at any moment!" to them i say we can just go to everyone is PVP. which not everyone wants to do! I respect that as well. you should'nt have the option to attack me if you are not currently flagged as PVP. PVP is a choice and so is PVE pick one or the other.

Dantuin likes this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'd like to flag PVP, but find that label is an automatic call for people to attack me when I'm afk, or am unarmed. I understand I should be ready all the time, but it is impossible to be ready 24/7 when random ppl can come attack (unflagged ppl) without much warning... that needs to change for myself to feel like flagging pvp. Why do I want to flag? Because of the history of UO that I'm told of, and because I'd like to see humans playing the game without griefing others, hopefully initiating more pvp in random locations in a fair way. Currently, I just won't flag.

blaquerogue and Womby like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In all the releases since the flag I had it and not once I was attacked, in fact I think only once I've seen another flagged player and it was a friend... soo boring... feels like I'm playing the sims. :(

But yea letting people surprise jump you is by far the worse thing I can think of, its as if because I was flagged pvp, I was a criminal and free loot.

This is stupid and insulting to the whole UO-loyal playerbase.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The current method of flagging pvp actually encourages the type of playing that pvpers are detested for... except it will be the non-pvpers that are doing the ganking :)

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yea exactly, pulled a giggle out of me... cause its like the immature version of a "rpg revenge" :p

blaquerogue and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

The same should be said of the non flagged people who attack flagged people if you attack them you deal,with the consequences I say it should take a full real,world week for your flagged to be turned on or off

9. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

[QUOTE="Ristra, post: 525360, member:] If skill and preparation keeps you alive then the second a non flagged attacks a flagged you are only 1 move behind the non flagged (which is now flagged)
    [/QUOTE]

Not true you may be more than one move behind. Maybe they waited to attack you until you where at 25% health with two monsters on you. That's what I would do

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Or maybe they attacked you with root or something similar.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I agree @Brink1123 ! Not true you may be more than one move behind. Maybe they waited to attack you until you where at 25% health with two monsters on you. That's what I would do[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, If PVE want to play PVP they should just need to flag for it like everyone else, no coming down from the mountain after the battle and finishing off someone, have some courage or dont choice is yours. If someone interfered with a battle that i was fighting (waiting for me to get down to almost no life then jumping to finish me off, since now you know you can kill me! Is no different than when a low level blue got hacked down by reds in UO!) I promise you if that happens to me i will go out of my way to make your game experience even as a non pvp the worst you could ever have! There are still ways to make your game miserable even if you are non pvp.

Bottom line is if you want to play with the big boys/girls then put on your big boy/girl pants! Flag pvp like the rest of us and jump into the frey with us! We invite you, but only on even playing grounds! Letting a non pvp atttack a pvp is the stupidest, most unfair thing they could have done in this game and it only shows how lenient this game is to non pvp only people! Its not fair, it doesnt help people get into pvp, just opens doors for grieving from everyone. (people are either going to be pvp or not, some people there is nothing you can do to get them to pvp so be it, let it be!)

think about it, my character is in non pvp status (eventhough im a PVP build) Your just beginning to get into pvp and i come out of non pvp status and destroy you, how fun was that??? (trust me if i see that happen and you do that, even if its my enemy, another blue ..."me", is coming out of non pvp, and now my enemy is my friend! If the Devs are going to involve all play styles all rules should be the same, or you get to a point like this where it looks like the devs are playing one side only! Not good business and will sure turn away more profit for this game.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No self respecting PvPer will ever let themselves get down to 25% while extending out beyond areas of protection. You get caught with your pants down, that's on you, just sayin.

You think the flagged players won't come out of the wood works while you are low... heh, good one.

The way it is puts people that wish to PvP in a less than perfect state. Unflagged players can attack them. I get that this can cause discomfort. But on the other hand. That's open PvP. People that wish to avoid this can PvP without flagging open PvP.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Although in this world the only reason a person cannot be attacked is that they have the blessing of the oracle. The blessing of the oracle ought to give a person an advantage, however to violate that blessing ought to come with a greater consequence for the person's soul.

I'm not talking about the person dying and going to hell. I'm talking more like Yoda here. For instance when Yoda says fear is the path to the darkside... how much greater is a random act of violence a path to the darkside. It isn't just a path it is the darkside. lol

Using the blessing of the oracle as a means to gain the upper hand against an opponent ought to be treated as treating the blessing as if it were an abmonination. See how this might be a good thing to keep in the game? In fact I would hope that people are tempted to use the blessing of the oracle to get the upperhand on an opponent, as long as it comes with the consequences of the actions. Perhaps those people will later decide it was better to NEVER have the blessing of the oracle then to have it and tread it underfoot.

To me the lesson is to never get yourself involved with a judgmental supernatural entity to begin with. IMHO ... The oracle's blessing is no blessing at all if it comes with a curse for not following the rules, it is an obligation to 'act' like a good person.

So ultimately not flagging for pvp causing negative karma might deincentify the whole blessing of the oracle. In fact maybe removing the blessing of the oracle can come with a karma boost. However the karma boost ought to only apply if you only use PvP in selfdefense never to attack. I know that might sound antipvp to some, but for people like me I would rather role play a character who isn't a murder, but takes the risk of PvP (not to go looking for a quick kill/loot, but to take the risk because it seems realistic and also courageous.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

It also keeps pvp players from flagging pvp! You can try to justify this all you want, but its just as unfair as it was when people got ganked in UO which is what i hear them all the time whining about. If i see anyone doing that guarantee ill come out of non pvp status just for them! Why dont we just make it all open pvp?? that be great then we can always know the other will be attack able, and cant run out of scene to unflag and be safe after they grief someone!

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Perhaps a non-flagged player should be flagged after attacking the pvper permanently until he goes see the Oracle to request protection again. Also get a long cool down if he request more than 2-3 times within 24 hours.

Moiseyev Trueden and blaquerogue like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

See with something like this im willing to meet half way, i could deal with that since it will give time to get revenge if i am a victim of the "blue kill". That would be a lot more reasonable that the current way.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Remind me again, what's the purpose of flagging open PvP?

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i dont know whats the main reason for not flagging? It works both ways! Nice try

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

One of the reasons this whole debate on pvp vs pve keeps going is that pretty much neither likes the other, and will always argue anything in their favor. As many people that i see that say we dont want a divided community, they still want to divide it. Why if someone hates pvp would you want to play in the same area as pvp? It makes no sense, personally (key word there!) id much rather have a dedicated pvp server, and a dedicated pve one, that way neither of us has to deal with each other, and every9one would be happy in their little world. You wouldnt have to worry about my rules and i wouldnt have to worry about yours. Then the PVE can get whatever they want in thier world, and PVP could get whatever we want in ours, and the things that come up with discussions, would truly effect either or in their own world. Just to clarify i play both pvp and pve, mostly pve now since pvp is not up to par with what i like (full loot, anyone can be attacked anywhere and pve can just jump in and grief and theres nothing we can do about it if they run out of the instance, basically i want to be able to hunt them down and kill them off)

Dantuin and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you think so.

I was heading in the direction of why there is flagging and why would they allow attacking of flagged in the first place. It's the same reason they don't make PvP it's own instance. The more barriers keeping people from flagging the more people will not flag ever.

The current state of attacking a flagged player it's working. That's obvious. But the suggested changes don't fix the overall issues. It's only changes a very small scope of open PvP.

If there is an answer to my question, what is the purpose of PvP, we could go into some detail. But we can't because the purpose of PvP isn't defined beyond "because I want to PvP".

The best I can see happening is the moral system. There is a lot of room for cleaning up unprovoked attacks with the moral system. Actions should have consequences and attacking a flagged player when not flagged seems like a good place for judgement from the Oracle (or some such thing)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.