This game is fun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I’m training my avatar every day and am having fun even training with the training targets in Soltown, I like the magic system trees, the game has nostalgia that hits you once you start playing playing to max out the skills, I’ve dodged ogres and daemons but one day I’ll be able to fight them, not many online rpgs allow you to train skills so thoroughly in town, I recommend anyone who has not thoroughly trained to do so and you’ll see how elaborate the magic system is, and I recommend archery as a weapon skill, I’ll do some videos about the game on my main channel and hopefully people will see the value and originality the game brings to the genre. I think the housing system might cause some players who aren’t into housing to think it’s the focus but it’s not, the game itself has a lot of cool features and I’ll try to show what they are. The blink spell, subtle reference to serpent isle? Etc, this game is fun.

2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

That's what I'm talking about!

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I agree. However, once you have beat everything, I can see where the problems would start. And I think alot of people who have put hours into this game I couldn't either do or imagine - like 10,000 compared to my 500 over 2 years of "release" .... then not so much :)

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm a noob, I've only put in 1,700 hours - still loving it, more than ever probably.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

IMO some aspects of the game are fun, but outside of going on quests, most of the gameplay is still is oriented around grinding and farming things in the same spaces.

To that end, going in dungeons are much more fun than wilderness scenes, because they involve exploration, plus there are a lot more tactical situations considering enemies around corners and so on, but even still, you explore the dungeon once, and then going back in again many times after that becomes about grinding.

Though, this is a common problem in MMOs... which is why I feel SotA can take a lot of lessons from other types of games including SP RPGs.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It depends on what else you do too. I have a concert hall set up with all these little bags of song parts for certain songs. My favorite syncd song is somebody to love. It is just awesome playing it with four or five in your group at least.

we are at a point in the game where we can play around with many creative ideas. I want so much more of this type of thing to putter around with in between raids, horse races, sea battles etc that I can see in my dream for this game. Imagine treasure hunts too. I so want a game like this.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Nikko, Chatele and Woodchuck like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I love my new Greenhouse 4-Story Row Home <3

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I agree, but put 10,000 hours in pretty much anything and it can get pretty dull for most anything. The fact that people can get to those numbers and still play is quite good actually, as some games wont offer that at all. I'm just enjoying little parts nowadays like decorating, and trying new builds out. Im just at 800 hundred hours right now, And I actually wish I could dump more in a shorter period of time as this game is amazing

9. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I've found that it's as much or more fun to gain all the skills while questing and running side quests, puzzles, and encounters.

If you work the main story line properly (Go on one path until difficulty outpaces your character, swap to second path, then to third, then complete each path, then do Oracle Path) you'll progress quite evenly and nicely. Add in some resource gathering and selling to player vendors and you can improve your gear quite nicely for the mid and upper levels as well as build up your wealth to own a home in the process.

Different players have different styles though, so do what's fun for you.

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It's horses for courses. I have no doubt some people find SotA to be tremendous fun. More power to them.

But with 60,000-plus accounts out there, and nowhere near 60,000 people playing, the game still has an image problem.

It was said most of that 60,000 would come back at launch, but that never happened. Nowhere near that many 'returned'.

Cordelayne, Chatele, Dantuin and 2 others like this.
  11. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

I still enjoy the game and have several sets of rusty kitchen stuff

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

i wish i didn't have to work so i could play this game 24/7/365

p.s. is there a command to tell how many hours you have played?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes, but, there's no point in engaging with people that want to hate the game, that advocate for shutting the game down on the one hand and then complaining about it's features on the other, who say that people have a right to actively dissuade others from being positive and wanting the game to succeed. So, to have someone fall a little heavy handed on the other side of "trolling" well.... at least they have supported the game !

14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Correct x 100. And the flow-on problem we now have from that, if we get down to the core of it, is that people don't like to feel wrong. They feel that they've backed this thing with all their might, and made all sorts of promises to their friends to get them interested and spending their money and of course, many pronouncements in general on how things would go down (the whole, "Everyone will come back at launch..." promise looms large in what I'm saying here).

But the game has failed on many levels and half the staff's been shown the door, so I sense that people - either consciously or subconsciously - are feeling like they backed the wrong horse and have tried to involve friends and online gaming groups they've been a part of with this failure. Which is why we see snarkiness and making all sorts of excuses why it's happened, and blaming people who were calling this stuff a year or two back.

And, of course, none of it helps. The situation is what it is. No one's gloating. Most people, as far as I can see, didn't even show up for persistence or launch. And of those left, I reckon 99% of them just would have liked a well-made game.

Woodchuck likes this.
  15. Vero

Vero Avatar

@Razimus awesome read! fun to the max here aswel!

safe travels good sir and may the Blink be strong!

V

Razimus, Mimner and Steevodeevo like this.
  16. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

For me the game is still fun and worth to play and a big part is the continous further development that keeps me in the game. Each month there are new things to discover, test and experience.

Looking at the currently, very desperate MMO market, there is a chance that SOTA can have huge success -if they don't loose the "long breath". With every update the game becomes better and better and there
    will be the one certain moment, when all the critics will turn into a wow, look at the game now. I just hope Portalarium will have the needed money to go the long way.

17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Could be, but in my opinion, I don't think that those improvements :
    - will come soon enough with a reduced team,
    - will make any difference if they don't make drastic change in the way they are designing this game.
    I'm still there, posting on those forums, because I have an emotional and a financial interest with the success of this game. I strongly believe that it doesn't take the right way. And there are only two ways to reassure me: prove to me that I am wrong with a huge success which will allow this game to claim its right among other games (Single Player RPG included), or correct what needs to be corrected. For now, still, the facts show that there are changes to be made, not just at the margin.

Also, for your information, I think that SotA would probably benefit greatly from the desperate MMO market. It would already be a high success if we had the tenth of this number of accounts. Just saying...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  18. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I love this game, and frankly it saddens me that even a positive thread quickly turns into an argument. Don't get me wrong it's not perfect and I have criticized it plenty, but damn some people just need to let it go and move on with their lives.

19. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

SOTA Forums to my mind have turned into a battleground between 'old school' MMO fans (of all ages) and those wanting it to be converted into an instant gratification cookie cutter.

What baffles me is why the latter just don't move on. There are plenty of MMOs out there, some very good ones, that have all of the features they're screeching for.

It can't surely be just the $50 they've paid and they think they're entitled to a personalised custom game just as they like it?

I suspect rather were just witnessing a microcosm of modern society. Everyone believes they are entitled to exactly what they want, when they want it, all the time, irrespective of whether they have earned it or not and because others disagree and want something else and they can't have it they are having a public melt down.

20. Vero

Vero Avatar

Let's bring the positive vibe back into this topic :p
    exactly what i thought :(

If people are super enthusiastic why start complaining in their happy topics! :) I am always happy to read nice stuff like TS started here :)

Tsumo2, Witcheypoo, Chatele and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.