This is a thing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phamyns, May 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phamyns

Phamyns Avatar

For many years people have been screaming for a way to farm Black Pearl. Well with the way fishing has become diluted with nothing but Young fish lets keep it going with being able to catch Clams!
    Yes this is a thing! I did catch this on the hook!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Chris @Elgarion

jrs99, Cordelayne, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

So you are saying that if you can catch a clam, then oysters (with pearls) should also be possible?

Phamyns and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Nice one... "one"... I like it though!
    Maybe we need an addition to our pole, a new pole to create a new style of fishing to begin catching a new branch within our sota fishing.

Here's such a pole in use for just this very thing and also for smaller fish:

Digging around in the mud sounds good too.

~TL~

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Paladin Michael and Aldo like this.
  4. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Remember that you roll for a young fish you've already failed to catch a trophy fish. Trophy fish have your name and the date they were caught, and young fish are not considered trophy fish. As I understood Elgarion's description of it, this logic would approximate the result (this isn't how it's laid out in the code, though):

1. Did you catch a fish? If not, end here. (The odds on catching a fish have not changed)
    2. Was it a trophy fish? If yes, pick the trophy fish from the trophy fish loot bundle (the odds of catching a trophy fish have not changed, and the trophy fish loot table has not changed)
    3. If none of the above, it must be a non-trophy fish. Pick a non-trophy fish from the non-trophy fish loot bundle (This is the only bundle that has changed. It used to be something like 25% chance at a Bass, 25% chance at a Mackerel, 25% chance at a Salmon, 25% chance at a Trout. It is now something like 24.25% chance at a Bass, 24.25% chance at a Mackerel, 24.25% chance at a Salmon, 24.25% chance at a Trout, 3% chance at a young fish)
    So luckily no dilution of the fishing loot table, just some bonus high end fillets out of the "trash fish" loot bundle to help balance the new food system. Seems to be a win for everyone involved, and has made fishing even more lucrative.

Archer, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  5. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hehe, grats on catching the clam :p Yes, oyster farms are on my list for sure. We're gradually loosing gold sinks though, so we'll need to introduce some new ones shortly to compensate.
    Also, I don't recall explaining it that way Coswald. Pretty much just standard loot tables but they're very large ones and a lot of them. There's 1 loot table per bait type per water type. BUT, in regards to being "diluted", the only thing that was lowered in % chance was the pure food fish like tilapia etc, so I lowered those to steal some weight to add the young fish. Trophy fish percentages stayed precisely the same in all accounts across all tables. So less tilapia, bass, trout etc, added young, trophy stayed precisely the same.

Wilfred, Archer, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Sorry, the way I laid it out does indeed deviate from what you said on stream. I made a slight edit that hopefully makes more sense, just wanted to make it clear which chances have changed, rather than imply nested loot tables.

Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Ha no worries, I had to edit mine too, my 2 responses got jumbled together.

Time Lord and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Noooooooo! Black pearl is one of my best sellers!

Anpu, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  9. Phamyns

Phamyns Avatar

Not to create a giant debate but, " Young fish " wasnt the answer to the crafting. The problem was we never got enough filets for the trophy fish, and the food was never worth the carving, all that had to be done was change filet numbers and improve food quality and I would have been carving fish all day long.

When i say " Diluted ", this means that any time you add an item to the loot pool, whether you change % or not, you alter chances of catching certain fish " example being - 2 fish on loot table, 50/50 chance - add one fish now 33.3% chance - add another 25% chance to catch "

Might be wrong on my numbers but that is how it works in my head.

Variations may include
    Did you catch a fish:
    Yes - Which type of fish from pool
    No - Try again

or

Did you catch a fish
    Yes - Which type of fish
    No - Try again or New Pool

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Not sure if you've checked out the new foods spreadsheet, but fishy foods are all the rage these days! Elgarion did some great work on the food balance, and about a third the foods I use on a regular basis are made with rare fish fillets. I switch foods much more based on the fight now too, with about a dozen foods in my common rotation. Really fun stuff!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7yqH-Bdr1lotJABCS3e508oPFBr8y5xBv114dpczJo

Fillet counts on the trophy versions were increased as well, and they yield a dozen or more on every butchering.

Ah, in that sense it's fair enough, just the certain fish that the chances were altered on were Bass, Tilapia, Mackerel, etc. A little before-and-after example would be something along the lines of:

Before:
    Shark - 0.33%
    Marlin - 0.33%
    Swordfish - 0.34%
    Bass - 33%
    Salmon - 33%
    Mackerel - 33%

They only took percentages out of "trash fish", so the after looks more like:
    Shark - 0.33%
    Marlin - 0.33%
    Swordfish - 0.34%
    Bass - 30%
    Salmon - 30%
    Mackerel - 30%
    Young Shark - 3%
    Young Marlin - 3%
    Young Swordfish - 3%

So happily for anglers there's never a situation where we have any less of a chance to get a trophy fish for a given water or bait type.

Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

@Time Lord , How do they use the small fish? Cook them up as is, dry them, or clean them then process?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That has the most disgusting answers! :D
    You place the little fish into a mortar pestle and add whatever small veg or spices, mash it up and then place it into a jar or enclosed bucket until it stinks just right! ;)
    Then, you can use it as sauce for cooking other things in, or as a paste to dip stuff into, or a drink which even more fermented rotting stuff is placed in with it.
    It's basically an all purpose sort of food stuff.

Like a smashed up sardine, the head, bone, fin, eyes of what could be more better described as aquarium size fish or larger unused parts from other fish, you really can't see all that if it's been pounded enough in the mortar pestle. Sort of reminds me of the frog juice in the movie Ensign Pulver:

:D~TL~

Elgarion and Aldo like this.
  13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

@Sannio , @Elgarion , et al, in the interest of our international SOTA.... Something to do with all those small fishes. FISH PASTE as an ingredient or better yet the start of a whole new fishing/crafting skill tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.