This isn't the way, "Old Prospector" Quest (R54)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daigoji Gai, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

See draft for upcoming R54:

[​IMG]

So, on one hand, this is fantastic. Based on player response, a change is implemented immediately in the following release.

On the other hand, I think the solve to the feedback is bad.

This is going to be unpopular, but hear me out.

Following the removal of the original quest, many were upset (even I was disappointed.) The initial dev response was that this was done to create the emergent dynamic gameplay we all want in SoTA, and while there was noise on the forums, it succeeded. My disappointment turned into wonder.

Dance "trade" parties were created; people sought out those with it; and organically it spread.

Adding this quest, in my humble opinion, was too knee jerk and didn't give the experiment a chance to breathe. While the outcry was understandable, what came out as a result of it was truly fascinating.

That said, like with "seasonal" content, in the future I think the best approach would be to, yes, add a quest like this for those that may have missed it, but make it a re-occuring limited time event MUCH MUCH LATER. Adding it now feels too soon and will remove incentive for "seeking out" player teachers of the emote.

Again, know this will be unpopular, especially for those (and I understand completely) that flagged that "real life" can make one week events unfair. Instead of adding this quest, I argue take "the next one week quest event you have planned" and maybe plan on extending it to 2 weeks or a month. Remove it; then maybe add a "follow up" quest 2 or 3 quarters later for a limited time. Save this for a later time. Not R54. Not yet. Too soon,.

Argh... at point where I realize point is made and rambling. I just worry this is giving up "too soon", and the "limited emote event" has merit and did promote some interesting dynamic emergent gameplay.

Sometimes you can't be around for everything, nor should you be, in those instances being able to seek out the community to maybe get some of what you missed should be part of the experience.

Don't make it too easy...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm fine with it being limited ONLINE, but removing any rewards from offline is a poor experience.

And limited is fine, but the period to obtain was WAY too short. One release would be fine; one week not so much.

3. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

We are in 100% agreement fellow Outlander.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    It was rather short. However, the emote is teachable. So you haven't missed out on it.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i agree. the implied time limit was obvious from reading the release notes. if people miss things because they're not digesting all the info given them, it was tradeable.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Tamsen, By Tor, Daigoji Gai and 2 others like this.
  6. Tirello

Tirello Avatar

I wish they had given us a week. We had one weekend.

I noticed in the patch notes that it was only available for a limited time. But like many others that have dealt with other games I assumed that are be available until the next patch. Not just the weekend after patch.

I hope in the future they give us a timeframe for limited time events.

Duke Gréagóir and Daigoji Gai like this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the patch notes also said the harbor would be the burning version for only the first few days.

FrostII and Daigoji Gai like this.
  8. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

So this is where I need to check our elitism. Not everyone reads the patch notes, nor should we expect new players to. That said, think of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" model. Essentially, they have trained the audience to stick around post credits, and that maybe (like comic books) while you may experience a few occasional shitty films, they are building to something greater.
    We've already proven it; why not fully embrace it and stop being brats trying to corner every aspect of the new player market? (I went there)
    Missing out invokes a penalty, but at a later date you can revisit and catch up. The Marvel analogy may turn people off, "comic books", but think of it beyond that. Think of it as helping those consume a particular concept or medium.
    You can't force feed it.
    You need to slowly over time put the pieces together, process, digest then deal (like with building a poison immunity I hope eventually gets introduced.)
    Read:
    You get small doses at intervals.
    Over time, you build up an immunity and ability to digest fully.
    Doing these limited event moments, and allowing it to flourish in community, helps introduce players into the concept that this truly is a long term investment where choices, even time spent, are meaningful and not "Pay-to-play."​

I take things to extremes and know my opinion isn't the way. I just hope it moderates and helps find balance without making things "too easy." And that we have meaningful, long term repercussions for choices, even time spent.

9. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Can I say, for the record... despite being a log term backer, that I missed out on the one week event and was (read: am now) thankful for it? Will pay more attention. Will try to be smarter with activity when this Outlander needs to deal with "Earth"
    But .... come on. That should be part of the fun and lore. I missed out on things I am kicking myself for (Darkstarr telethon items) but was able to get what I wanted later through in-game play and the market.
    Also taught me the lesson I am sharing to pay attention to patch notes and be smarter with spending (read notes, save for telethons and sales, be willing to invest for later sales - I purchased Darkstarr stuff because I missed that telethon; others have and do similar given my sales)
    Some will be able to devote 24/7 and thankfully those that can't aren't penalized without spending real world money. All about timing, and that should be part of the fun.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You had from Thursday to the following Tuesday and now, due to the complaining, you have unlimited time... and there's still complaining.

Tamsen, Draugur2 and Elwyn like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I believe Pirates of the Caribbean movies trained us to stay until the end of the credits for an extra clip first.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  12. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Can I say, I love you for always being "difficult" and challenging everything?
    Problem with your argument is "you" - "you" implies that there is a unified entity upset with a common objective. I disagree. I was upset I missed out, but was thankful I did miss it. I still don't have it and don't want to get it through this quest but from another player. This is an unpopular opinion but I understand the other side of it.
    Basically, not sure of the point of your reply even though I love you.
    Conflict and disagreement is natural, people can change opinion, should make everything more exciting, dynamic and highlight an evolving world.

[​IMG]

FrostII likes this.
  13. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

You are a pirate elitist, along with "what's his name" that always walks around like a shipwrecked barefoot hobbit... >_> Not hating, but starting to get tired of you pirates all over the place climbing out of the woodwork.
    Can't wait to be a passenger on a ship and jack your cargo... sailor pirate numb nuts and imbiciles all over the place... >_>

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree about the in game notices don't get to all players and the out of game notices don't get to all players. People actually many time ignore those tiny little red words assuming they don't have anything interesting to say perhaps and perhaps not, but sometimes I am really busy and forget to read them. It's not just on this that this happens. No one has to have their hand held I'm sure but that game was what this game started out to be and with taking the game to Steam after two years of development a whole new world opened up and many types of gamers now come to check out this game. In my opinion the game has to evolve with that for the good of the game and it's success. When we get UI updates which are said to be coming one of them should be perhaps a multi purpose journal as many mmos have. As in the pictures below. We can have ours look more medieval and more us but the functions of this will cover many things even game announcements, news, etc. So just some thoughts so the world can see announcement, rewards etc all in the same place in game.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorry, not trying to be difficult. I'm just surprised that this emote has become such an issue.

Synergy Blaize and Daigoji Gai like this.
  16. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

It is actually quite hilarious. The passion for emotes & dyes is real.

Synergy Blaize and Barugon like this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Is this what it's like to be a log term backer? ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Bigg, Jaesun, By Tor and 1 other person like this.
  18. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Well played. Touche.
    You know... I wish I could turn the hoard of chopped wood I have into a pet log.

Jaesun and Cordelayne like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Somehow my friend...I just knew you would get the reference! Love it! :D

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

IMO, 2 Weeks duration would be perfect for this kind of reward considering its teachable afterwards, which means you haven't entirely lost out, you just have to find someone who did it now, big deal! For exclusive items though, if it ever does happen, please leave a longer delay, A whole month to give everyone the chance, and those who didn't get it, well, theres going to be a catch up event later, but like OP said, not a month later, that is way too short. Now I know this is an experiment they did, but we can at least provide feedback, I'm not saying remove this situation from the game entirely, just give a longer clear time, and a way longer delay for the catch-up event!

Tirello and Daigoji Gai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.