Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughs about XP Pool - Skills - Available Mobs

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by gracy, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

You and your friend might change their tune when they realize skill 75 is "halfway", 150 is the cap per skill, and all skills and effects are designed, tuned, and balanced on the presumption that 150 is max.
    As such, many skill percentages, durations, damage and effects are quite poor until you're in the 120 range.

Unfortunately, to reach 120 in certain skills requires many Millions of XP. When 5-skull mobs are between 3250 and 5000 XP each, and you want Millions of XP... well, the math speaks for itself. ;)

margaritte and gracy like this.
  2. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

it does yet...from my point of view...its the trip that is important, not the destination itself.

That sounds smart, sorry...but if I enjoy getting the xp, what does it matter how much I need?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. gracy

gracy Avatar

yes, trip is, in many case most important than the destination, but imagine a straight highway trip, speed limit 50 km/h (31 mph) ... for hours and hours you must always go forward, you can never accelerate ... you fall asleep from boredom, before reaching the destination and without having fun from the trip, this is the case :)

4. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Dude...I live in Hamburg, Germany...thats my usualy life your describing there :)

Mata, Adam Crow and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I completely agree, and perhaps this is a bug or a testing metric they are using. I agree that there should not be gated points in the range of levels BEYOND what "average" players are expected to get to. For example if we are all suppose to be at level 120 for our main skills then that should be attainable by "casual" players. If there is no cap and you are allowed to go over that 120 skill point then that extra steps should allow you to do it "better" for your efforts, but should not unlock extra content unobtainable by casuals.

Now I know that's probably against what some people agree with, but the psychology behind it is players will feel like they have not reached the "end-game" until they have accessibility to everything their chosen skills have to offer. If that's not obtainable without 385hrs of straight grinding spiders (just to lose it again because they cannot maintain the required exp to combat decay with regular casual gameplay) they will get bored and they will quit.

I agree with the first impressions are important, and they most certainly are, but you also need a healthy mid, late, and end game experience as well otherwise people will drop like flies. I really enjoy the game, I was blown away when I started at how "different" things were from mainstream games. But as I continue up the ranks I do find myself wondering "what next". I know there are player events, roleplaying, social aspects that are also enjoyable.... but I'm getting old and my imagination isn't what it use to be... there are also many other things trying for my time so SoTA needs to sell to me why I should spend my time there.

Just my 2 cents
    ~Wodin

gracy and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

+1

7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Regarding the "required power to enjoy the game", it has been stated that the goal is to make it so that average level players are competitive, a concept I like a lot since that way you can play while you improve, instead of requiring to improve a lot before being able to enjoy the game (like what happens in WoW and the rest, where you need to be top level to enjoy the real game aka instances and high level pvp). So we shouldn't think that we'd require 10 GM's to be competitive. They should be just appealing, not required.

That being said, i don't see that concept currently in game; there's a brutal difference in performance between players ranging some levels in difference, thus preventing player to "just play" as its intended by the devs. Nonetheless, i consider the current state of things to be another step until the concept is appropiately implemented so i try to keep in mind that that's how things are supposed to work.

gracy likes this.
  8. gracy

gracy Avatar

lol ... and have you fun? :)

... and, in any case, I'm not talking of driving inside the black forest of Germany, or within their nice mountains, but a flat, arid highway long thousand of km ... at 50km/h (not without speed limit like in Germany :) )

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.