Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughts about how to implement reticule target locking/stickiness

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by helm, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helm

helm Avatar

Feel free to discuss your own ideas, but stay on topic please. This is not the place to even mention tab targeting in any shape or form, past, present or future. This is strictly about making reticule based targeting better.

It seems pretty clear that reticule based targeting needs some kind of mechanism to keep the same thing targeted.

My suggested solution would be two-pronged:
    1. There would be an option called "Target stickiness" adjustable by slider in player options. This would be adjustable between, say, zero and three seconds and in o.1 second intervals. This is the time that the chosen target keeps selected, despite an event that would otherwise cancel targeting (e.g. target outside the field of vision) or move the target elsewhere (you point your reticule to some other enemy). A high Target stickiness value means that the target is essentially locked (until killed or otherwise released). A zero value means no locking. A value in between means, well, something in between.
    2. There would also be a "Release target" key/button for immediate target release.
    Just to be clear, "target stickiness" would of course have no effect in situations where target will be maintained anyway - even now it is not necessary to keep the target under the reticule all the time.

A tiny amount of target stickiness might also apply to no target / release target situations, to help pointing out the desired target from a large group of enemies. So you'd need to keep the enemy targeted under the reticule for say 0.05-0.2 seconds to make targeting "stick".

With my suggestion I'm trying to cater to different playstyles. One person might prefer zero stickiness, another might prefer setting it to 0.1-0.2 seconds to avoid accidentally shooting deers or aggravating more enemies, especially when moving with auto attack activated. Some people might like to max out the setting and just using the release target key to switch targets.

Edit - typo fix

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Fister Magee and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would like to see the target stay at wherever the character is facing (middle-ish in reticle mode) in the cursor mode. This way people can pan around the camera to get some tactical view while still able to attack the same target the character is facing. At least until the character start moving.

In the other words, please have the targeting depend on the where the character is facing when player is using cursor mode, so it would stay consistent.

Fister Magee and helm like this.
  3. helm

helm Avatar

In my suggestion this would be achieved by setting target stickiness to some higher amount - this would allow free investigative panning, as long as the character itself is not moving. Perhaps panning the camera should not be enough to lose the target, so as long as the character is not moving, one could make do with relatively small amount of stickiness.

edit - Even though I don't know how feasible it would be in a real combat situation, very slow panning (e.g. with the Q+E keys) might result in accidental retargeting, because the current targeting style is of the "broad side of barn" variety. Perhaps the max amount of stickiness could for this reason be even longer than 3 seconds (but then one could only release the target with the button or going totally out of sight and range).

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.