Thoughts on Mixing FMO and MMO OverWorld?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Ever stop and think that the same people who enjoy FPO as intended also are the type that do not post on forums?

FPO works. If MPO does work why break FPO to band aid MPO. Fix MPO is the correct path to success.

Alley Oop likes this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

How is it breaking FPO? You ask "ever stop and think..." and I'm literally asking any of you to elaborate on the matter.

Why are you not addressing the points that I'm making? How is "seeing" someone somehow makes it the same as "playing with"? Or are you suggesting that the people who enjoy FPO aren't in the forums to explain that to me? If so, why are some of you against the idea?

Or are you against the idea merely because "maybe" someone, out there, won't like it?

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I answered this in a previous post. But I will state it again.

SPO, is solo play, obviously. It's one person doing SotA without others.

FPO, is welcoming people you've already established relationships with to share the world with you.

MPO, is welcoming anyone in.

Remeber that anonymous nature of the internet comment I made before? MPO brings that anonymous nature in thus destroying the value of FPO.

If someone wants to keep their play to a tight nit group. FPO is the mode of choice. The Ultima series with friends was a big selling point for some. And The Ultima series with everyone trouncing through that tight nit group is a big turn off for some.

If you are here for UO then I get why you don't like FPO but SotA isn't an MMO it's Selective Multiplayer

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Like it was already mentioned, SPO already accomplishes that.

So, because of vague definitions of each mode, including something that doesn't align perfectly with said definitions will somehow "break" it? I was expecting reasoning that involved game-play.

Why can't it be like this?
    Offline - Isolate yourself.
    SPO - Isolate yourself from the community.
    FPO - Be part of the community but only your friends can play with you.
    MPO - Everybody's involved.

We're talking about the overworld here, folks. But I guess "hate", "money" and... "definitions"... is what's stopping us.

Seeing /= Playing

Btw, If we're using your definition of FPO, then I'm pretty sure the mode is already broken because it doesn't do what you described.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Welcome to game development? Where features get implemented then fixed in an order of more important.

Offline - Isolate yourself.
    SPO - Isolate yourself from the community.
    FPO - Be part of the community but only your friends can play with you.
    MPO - Everybody's involved.

Sounds about right and if that's not the case then it's because the feature has not been fully fleshed out in the dev process. Merging FPO into MPO isn't fixing MPO. It only breaks FPO. And now the cycle of repeating the thread has begun.

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Rather than arguing about it, why don't we just suggest they make a new mode called Dynamic Party Online? When you're in a non-adventure area, It's like you're in MPO. When you're in in an adventure area is like you're in FPO. I feel like a significant piece of the playerbase who only uses MPO to be able to farm in over-farmed areas would use this mode rather than dealing with swapping back and forth. That would seem to address @MrBlight 's initial concern, without the issues raised by those who want FPO unchanged (the possibility of it being identical to SPO notwithstanding).

Numa likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

While we are at it I want a mode that allows me to set Other people's mode. I pay a crown of the obsidian and then I get to set someone's mode.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

So, then, why are you against the idea?

No one has EVER talked about merging FPO and MPO... that's why we're going in circles; despite my numerous attempts at explaining it, you don't understand the distinction I'm trying to illustrate.

It also saddens me to read that you're still arguing like it's about "fixing MPO" when I had thought we were already past that. I spent 2 posts replying to you specifically about this but I guess people will just read what they want to read.

"Seeing" and "playing" are very different verbs. I've been saying this since the first page of this thread (in case you thought the repetition only just started). I'll use my previous post to ask the question once more:
    I'll restate what I just said in the hopes that it'll pre-emptively spare me from further repetition... 2 posts in 1:

"Seeing" and "playing" are very different verbs.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The idea isn't in line with what I quoted.

For the overworld, yes, this thread is about merging the two. If you can't see why people don't want to be in MPO I can't help you.

Seeing, apparently is different if you can't accept seeing bots then what makes seeing other players a better options. *note, the answer to that probably is the answer to why people in FPO would not want to be seen.

Then add in the "give an inch" factor. Yeah, no go.

Then why are you trying to fix it?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  10. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I thought it was a really cool idea, then i read responses..so guess not ;)

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Congratulations, that's the silliest thing I've read all week (and I read story on seeking alpha about how AMD's Epyc can't compete with the GTX1080 for database workloads, to put it in perspective).

Nothing in the suggestion I made takes anything away from anyone, so you're just making a fool out of yourself but that's your prerogative.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Oh it was intentionally silly, but I guess I should have put the <sarc> tag in

13. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Maybe it's just me... idk... I wish both the overworld as well as towns were Multi. I wander through ghost town after ghost town wondering who owns all the homes I see. What happened to the people there?
    One of the coolest things (to me) about UO was running into all the people in town. lol even the PP's at the bank. I remember when there would be a line at the smithy with folks getting items repaired which players were doing for free to raise their skill...etc.
    I get some people don't want to see or interact with anybody and for them, I'm glad they have SP. For the rest ... I'd like to see some of y'all other than here on the forums or at a dance party.

Hornpipe likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

You can count me in this group. I wouldn't mind seeing other people in the the overland map while I go off to farm an area. A toggle would fix things I think, that way those who really want to be alone with their friends won't feel that their privacy is being invaded.

And @Gix the answer you're looking for is that both the single player offline & single player online/friends want to feel that Novia/Hidden Vale is a world all their own. It's a very visceral feeling.

Tiina Onir and Gix like this.
  15. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

If you don't want to see any other people... don't play online !

Solazur likes this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wrong. We got offred two online modes where we don't have to see people. So far, in this whole topic, nobody gave convincing arguments why they should go away.

Net likes this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My mistake. I see the point as long as friends/solo online are two sides of the same coin. That said, the OP idea is still interesting.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

As long as it ha an opt in/out option *shrugs*.

Net likes this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you actually took the time to read what you quoted and do the math...

With that kid of logic, then seeing NPCs in SPO is the same as seeing players... because bots are the same in your book, right? :rolleyes:

What makes me think that seeing players is a better option? Because they're PLAYERS.

You have yet to answer my question. Don't worry though, I've long abandoned the idea that you'd ever make a sound argument.

I'm not. "Fixing" and "improving" are also different verbs... please learn the difference.

For offline, I can understand. For online, though, you're not playing in your own segregated economy, you see other people's houses and you can't put a house where you want to so how can they feel like it's "their own"?

I understand that asking for ALL online players to be visible isn't ideal for everyone but, if you can invite people in your group in SPO and FPO practically functions the same way, why can't FPO be modified to be a middle-ground where you see the rest of the game's online population on the overworld?

You'd still get the illusion of seclusion in SPO (and invite your friends), FPO would feel more involved with the rest of the community without the hassle of dealing directly with players and MPO would have the benefit of seeing more players running around.

If it's a labeling issue, we can change labels.

"Visceral" is a very interesting word to use to describe this; it explains a lot of the resistance to the idea.

Numa and Hornpipe like this.
  20. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

@The is SPO/FMO necessary topic:

I think we have the problem here, that this was promised to the players.. I understand that there are many players who like this modes... But seriously:

I think thouse modes do more harm than they add to the game!

@Topic
    I would like to mix all game modes on the overworld map.. this game feels so damn empty...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.