Thread in formus showing if somone is avail to help out newbs?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Weins201, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This could get pinned and player can jusy post here like I am now saying I am in game just running amock if you want to come along, train / get exp or just ask questions,.=?

Add "Grumpie Weinie" I am in multiplayer about to head out and train a little

I will update whwn I log off.

Also I can get into discord if oyu want to chat and can talk

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Maybe we could have something in game to connect New Players, Vistors, those looking to Hunt, those looking to Craft,etc. A feature that works the same way that the Social(Friends List) List works. It could have categories such as Help, Hunting Parties, Crafting Parties, RP Parties, Entertainment etc., where a player could use the Nearby Players( Ins Key by default) Key, or a seperate new key, to find players looking for other players for the same activities. Kind of like a Help Wanted Ad. Give these players special Tags designating them as Hospitaller, Hunter, etc.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

well there are the hospitailors and they have a web site that shows who is on and such but this thread could be a simple easy one if pinned and when you log in just say avail with how what ya din . . . and log off

Alexander likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Almost all of that already exists
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s-sotahelp-org-players-helping-players.48819/
    sotahelp.org

The forum software here doesn't support such and the devs have said that any such features would be looked at after commercial launch.

So sotahelp is the place to go.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Aye..but it's not very convenient to have to log in to a forum or elsewhere to see if you can get help, or find others to play with in-game. Giving players a means to communicate in-game makes much more sense(..and not just blindly asking someone if they want to hunt, or could they get help from a master crafter,etc) If you get in-game and the only way for you to get help is to ask someone randomly or, if you are lucky, to find a Hospitaller that can help, you may get discouraged and not want to play. There are many things that can be done to increase communication among players; Bulletin Boards in towns would be a good idea also.

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

None of this is in-game. You have to log in elsewhere to get information(such as the availability/location of Hospitallers) which should be available in-game.

I mean without having to log into another site, or using 3rd Party software. If you are playing on one monitor, it's a hassle to have to Alt-Tab back and forth between the game and a 3rd party program or webpage.

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Isn't there a typo in that name? Newbies won't find folks if they have the wrong names...

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

off for a while

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

o_O
    Shooting the messenger usually doesn't lead to productive results. For instance in this case whether I agree or disagree doesn't matter much as long as this stays the same:

10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Not shooting anyone. I made a suggestion as to a way to deal with new players getting help in-game. You ignored what I said and replied....

I merely pointed out that it didn't exist in-game, which is what my post was about. Sorry that you miscontrued the demeanor of my comment. By the way, my suggestion has nothing to do with the 'Forum Software.' My suggestion, if you read my post, was to make a feature in-game to help people contact each other, not to expand features of the forum software. Again, I'm not trying to attack anyone. Sorry that you took it that way.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yeah I am trying to figure if there is a way to put a list of names up in the forums and the players can just change the color / font / or whatever to easily show, in these forums, who is avail to help.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you are not trying to attack then I'd advice adding less attacks in your posts.

Please note that I did not ignore what you said, instead I responded to what you said, and I actually did read your full post, all of it, didn't miss anything. Instead I specifically responded to the in-game part with:
    "the devs have said that any such features would be looked at after commercial launch"

So to make it a little more explicit for clarity:
    These types of features in-game has been discussed several times. It is all good ideas and they have been considered by the devs and other such solutions have even been on the schedule. What we did get was the 'Outlander' and 'Hospitaler' titles, and that the devs added the Hospitaller logo into the game and have supported that player initiative and plugged it in every weekly update since R28.
    But the latest from the devs is that they have stated that before commercial launch other things have priority before they will look into any of the type of additional functionality in-game like those that you suggest.

One of the reasons being that the last time they made a big suggestion about adding a beginners chat or such, then that caused a big bruha in parts of the community. Heck even having the 'Outlander' and the 'Hospitaller' titles available to players proved conroversial in parts of the community. For instance there were plans to have all new players auto-added to a beginners guild at start (opt out) which then would give a guild chat for the beginners to ask questions and get help in, then they wanted players in the form of Hospitallers acting as members of that beginners guild and answer those questions. That blew up fast in accusations of favoritism and players exploiting their contacts with staff etc etc up to the point where Portalarium decided to cancel the whole thing even though they thought it would be better for new players to implement that feature set, they backed down cause of the controversy they felt it generated in the existing player base.
    So the devs are quite weary of announcing such in-game things before having considered them fully and before they have had a clear plan and internal vetting. Such things take time especially if one needs to add time for PR and forum politics on top of that, so accordingly although it is a much wanted feature from the devs PoV - it gets put on lower priority for the time being until such time and dedication can be allocated.

Just make a search on hospitaller and you will find plenty of heated topics.

Thus since neither the XenForo forum engine has anything such, nor that the devs do not plan for any further such in-game until after commercial launch then until the devs change their mind about that then we have to make due with what we got.
    And what we got is a really good 3rd party tool in the form of
    sotahelp.org

Now, would it have been better to have the features in sotahelp available in game?
    Absolutely.
    But like I said, whether I agree or disagree doesn't matter much as long as what I outlined above stays true.

(Instead I simply think some such features will simply be ninjad in without fanfare - like the recent 'visitor' title.)

13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

How about quoting all of what you said...

In context, there was no mention of in-game features, just 'forum software', and that's why I asked if you had read my post. As I said, I wasn't attacking you, but my reply to your 'Don't shoot the messenger' post was a little less congenial, as you said that I was attacking you. In addition, you responded to what I wrote with 'Almost all of that already exists', which it doesn't. I'm sorry you take things I say as attacks, but I am doing nothing more than stating facts. I wasn't trying to debate pros/cons of implementing a Chat and/or a Bulletin Board system. I simply was suggesting an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.