Time for fast travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E n v y, Jun 17, 2018.

?

Should SotA have fast travel with runebooks and the ability to mark locations.

Poll closed Jul 5, 2018.
  1. Yes.....It's supposed to be a spiritual successor so why go backwards.

61.9%
  2. No.....I prefer walking.

38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Wasn't talking about the horses... was talking about the boat trips.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They're the same... Boats were an unfunded stretch goal, and on the plan for episode 2.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

1.6 million kickstarter goal. be prepared to defend your vessel.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm just baffled by people who would vote the rune option down.
    How would YOU personally be effected by OTHERS using runes ?

Dargalin, Witcheypoo, Fungus and 2 others like this.
  5. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

This would be the same as when someone logs in late and asks if they can come along, you need to consider of the rest of your parties interests and time restraints; as the majority of players would be considered casual, I would not be able to wait for someone to run across the world to join up every time.

FrostII, Woftam and Hylax like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I admit, I'd forgotten about this one...

The second bullet point is, I assume, the one you're referring to... That one could be fulfilled by, instead of the instant teleport we have now as between Brittany and Hidden Vale, entering another scene, much like a Random Overland Encounter today, where you're on a boat and spend time travelling... Sometimes that boat would be attacked... Much like the boats in WoW... Do those still exist? They were buggy as hell for a long time.

And, yaknow... I bet the technology that they developed for Blood Bay, with the Moving Platforms could easily be adapted to boats... Hrmm... OK... I'm starting to like this idea... Yes... I think this should be implemented. It would certainly be more immersive than instantly teleporting.

Good idea, @Lord Tachys al`Fahn. Be careful what you wish for... You might get it.

Blood Bay fulfills the first bullet... and we have multi language support already.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would really like some way to quickly return to places that I have visited before. Unfortunately, Portalarium is wedded to this idea of regional economies.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm against it. Fast travel like this should not be done until a game gets big, as in multiple expansions big. We've got four more expansions to go, and we haven't even started advertising yet. If the rift isn't going where I want, I will usually walk around. Except for Drachvald, I can basically get anywhere in 5-10 minutes walking.

But I did think of an idea the other day. Some kind of consumable token for the rift that you "throw it in" and it would change the destination for you for one use. This would need to be a different token for each destination (maybe even name them after the moon phase) to keep it from being too easy. They could maybe be a rare loot drop. I'm already imagining the piles of unwanted Brookside tokens that people will use for deco.

Witcheypoo and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm pretty sure that most of the time is actually building the level, not communication. Even lot deco happens after the scene loads. It's taking the rest of us that long to load these days because something in Unity regressed.

Witcheypoo and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Don't discount the Brookside tokens... they're the quickest way to get to Graff Gem Mines.

Elwyn and Witcheypoo like this.
  11. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I understand how the scene loads, I have been using Unity at work for a couple of years now. The fact remains that I play with American players who have lower spec'd machines than I do and yet they manage to load quicker than I do based on the speed of data transfer between here and there. The communication speeds are woeful and contribute significantly to my load times.

I don't disagree that the latest build has slowed things down again. The fact that I have to wait a minute every time I enter a scene is painful. Being able to port directly to where I wanted to go would cut out this useless wasted time so I could actually play.

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This is what I'm talking about.
    @Rufus D`Asperdi
    If instantly teleporting is ruining your "immersion", YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT.
    Why on earth would you be against OTHER PEOPLE using it ?

@Elwyn
    I have no idea how much time you spend in game - where 5-10mins of walking is no big deal.
    Please consider those Avatars (and I know a number of them) who only have an hour a day to do whatever they need to do, and 10 mins of walking and another bunch of minutes loading scenes really makes their time here not much fun.

I just don't understand people that would deny fast travel to others simply because FOR THEM it ruins THEIR immersion.
    I haven't heard anyone who is on the side of no fast travel explain to us how other people's ability to "fast travel" would have any effect on THEM.

Witcheypoo, Fungus and Woftam like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because it becomes the norm, and you no longer really have a real choice... either you choose to comply, or you're disadvantaged.

14. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Hahaha at all those that would keep anyone from using a Rune/Runebook system. It was one of the greatest things about Ultima Online. Over the decades in all the games I've played, when talking about MMOs with other players, we'd always talk about UO at some point in time. In all those discussions, not once, has anyone ever not wanted the Rune/Runebook system. It's been all praise.

However here, and to answer Frostll's question as to why the downvotes, it's just the SAME people on these forums. You're not getting a good survey of people's ideas here because most don't even visit the forums and even less actually peruse through it or bother with things like this. Then you have those regulars here that if it's not done a certain way, their way, then you are not playing the game right. Combine that with the mentality of holding everyone else back or keeping everyone from doing anything different than the way they play and there is your reason.

I'm not even sure how SotA has gotten this far with all the naysayers and "gotta have 100% full immersion in the way i think a sword & sorcery fantasy game should have immersion" people continually cry out against good ideas and quality of life changes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Opinions differ... To me the Runebooks were the second worst thing about that game.
    Except that what you want is nothing different... what you want is a carbon copy of that which was done before.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

At some point the devs will either realise people want more UO stuff, and implement them - or the game keeps losing players as it does AGAIN, and stay a commercial failure.

Fungus likes this.
  17. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

And your opinion would be in the minority. Why hold everyone else back?

Who said anything about a carbon copy? How is wanting fast travel holding anyone else back? You either choose to do it... or you don't. Simple enough.

Witcheypoo, FrostII and Woftam like this.
  18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I would like to think that everyone playing this game appreciates the immersion they feel when they play.

You can tell this was not achieved by accident.

You can tell this in the way they drew the avatars. By the way they put so much detail in the game. And by the way they color everything.

The game aesthetics are realistic by comparison to many other games and I'm glad it's not 'cartoony'. The environments are rich, the homes look lived in, and the world is filled with thousands of items to collect, craft, and use. Other games don't even come close to this.

Traveling between places, imho, is a vital and integral part of the immersion. There's no substituting for the sense of distance, of vastness, and the expanse of a world than by simply traveling in it.

That's why for me, it doesn't feel right to teleport from place to place. The game's charm, innocence, and magic will be lost if teleportation becomes the full-time means of travel.

Elwyn likes this.
  19. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I agree with you on everything up until this part. You lose nothing from having the ability to teleport around. You'll still need to foot travel at times. As for the "doesn't feel right", it's not just a Medieval setting... it's a sword & sorcery type RPG. High magic and teleportation/quick travel have been in game from early Ultima. Hell, you would be transported from Earth on a whim no less :)

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Rufus D`Asperdi
    Kindly explain how YOU would be disadvantaged by OTHERS using fast travel.

Dargalin, Witcheypoo and Brugas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.