Time to beat Ultima V!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Fox_Cunning, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

In about 30 years I managed to play and beat almost all Ultima games, including the two Runes of Virtue on the Gameboy, the wonderful Ultima Underworld games, and the two Ultima Worlds of Adventure games (and by the way I've found an apparently unheard of bug in Savage Empire just a week ago, which I have now submitted to the Codex of Editable Wisdom).

Now, the only game which I've never ever managed to finish is arguably one of the best in the whole series: Ultima V - Warriors of Destiny.
    I actually started playing it after finishing Ultima VI back in the days. The whole time while playing Ultima VI I had the feeling that something awesome happened and I missed out. Lord British would thank me for saving him from the Underworld and I was like "...did I? That must've been great!".
    I got pretty far in the game, but then I lost my hard drive and was too disappointed to start over :(

Now, even though I had enough spoilers to miss 90% of the fun, it's time to beat this game.
    I've bought the GoG version, which is pretty much the original 1988 PC version + DosBox. Too bad it lacks the custcenes included in other systems' versions but oh well...

Anyway... Lord Blackthorn, I'm coming for you! ;)

2. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

3. Fox Cunning

Oh yes I know of that remake, and it looks brilliant indeed! But as a personal rule I always play the original first ;)

Umbrae likes this.
  4. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Nostalgy wins, i guess ;)

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Good luck! I honestly have tried replaying the older Ultima's, but my life today does not have the free time I used to have when I was younger. Each attempt normally has me giving up before the end of my first session due to the scope of everything. Of course, I have solved and completed everything in Ultima Universe (even in some of their console versions) except for Ultima Online, which I guess is something you were not meant to solve and complete anyway. ;)

6. Fox Cunning

Oh I know what you mean... my Ultima V sessions have been 5-15 minutes long so far. I've just reached Britain where I was happy to fiund Gwenno sitting at a tavern.
    By the way, I've always wondered why a song about some stones in Wiltshire (which is where I live, incidentally) would become so famous around Sosaria/Britannia.... Probably the same reason why a game about Sosaria is so popular on Earth.

And I've completed some of the console games too - i.e. Runes of Virtue I and II, and the NES version of Exodus.
    I've also tried the NES port of Ultima V but it was so painful that I gave up almost immediately...

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I always assumed Iolo was to blame being earth-born and all.

8. Fox Cunning

Of course (although the lyrics were written by Gwenno, but we can deduce that she was from Earth too).
    Since according to the lore it is extremely popular in Britannia, I was just arguing that its inhabitants like a song about a place which is in Earth in the same fashion as we in the Earth like a game which is set in Britannia. ;)

9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I started working on 5, but didnt have the patience/time so I am working on IX at the moment, I need to complete 5, 6, 8 and IX....and both Underworlds to be a completionist :)

I will admit I am useing the "Faster Avatar" cheat and the Advance 1 hour cheat to speed things along.

Fox_Cunning likes this.
  10. Fox Cunning

The Underworlds are just amazing!
    I remember when I purchased an HP Pocket PC some 13 years ago, I got to choose one free application from a list, which was included in the price... Ultima Underworld I was in that list, so that was an easy choice.
    I had already played the PC version (I had the EA Compilation CD), but I played it again. And again. and once more, I think I've completed UW1 three or four times, trying different classes. For me, that's the most immersive and innovative dungeon crawl RPG ever.

Speaking of dungeon crawls, Ultima IX had a huge potential there; I really enjoyed the dungeons but they felt too small, as the world itself. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.