1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Time to talk about economy!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Portalarium has used the plural phrase rare resources which seems to indicate to me that all rare resources will drop in increased abundance in the PvP zones, not just one rare resource. Still, an interesting thought though.

Tahru likes this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Are you sure this is the required process? Because they have a strong metrics in place to datamine all this stuff. Some simple turns of a few dials and nobs can change spawn rates on the fly.

(which has been the desired design since the very beginning)

Tahru likes this.
  3. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

This might be true, but they have also stated that resources are going to be regional. So to have all types in one zone nullifies that statement. I'm going to wait and see on this one.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point

Personally I don't need an incentive to flag PvP other than the fact that it is there. Although having more resources isn't a bad idea for the economic side.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Me either, but more resources should be limited to non rare resources to eliminate the PvE/crafter argumentative point.

I never implied all rare resources would be available in just one PvP zone. Portalarium has implied - that across all PvP zones the rare resources available in those zones would be at increased rates.

Tahru likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

So what are "Tungsten and Zinc" used for? I have found both... and they're pretty rare by themselves... No recipe yet to use either though, that I've found, so it's really too early to talk about the economy when everything isn't in the game yet or at least discovered...

ottomaddux and Tahru like this.
  7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

They are mixed with Iron and/or Copper for different metals. www.sotawiki.net

Tahru likes this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The wiki says there are currently no recipes that use tungsten or zinc...

Tahru likes this.
  9. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I guess I am wrong then.. My bad I was thinking of Tin.. They likely will do something similar, but recipes are not yet discovered.

Tahru likes this.
  10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The point I'm trying to make is: the players are looking at the resources in PvP zones with a narrow view, as if there were some exotic resources that are coming down the pipe... I predict that what will happen is, eventually every resource we have now will be plentiful inside PvP zones, like iron spawning in 10-20 ore per nodes with a good chance of getting 4 nickel AND 1 tungsten... or trees spawning with "sooty bark or pine tar" which I have bought recipes now needing, but haven't seen any spawning. along with 10 wood... Reagents spawning in 20-25 quantities...

All this could be controlled by the population of the scene too, if I'm the only one in there, the spawn could be normal, but as more PvPers show up, the quantities could increase (isn't that what risk v reward is all about?)...

I know this is an economic thread, and for me as a SPO player I do know Chris S has talked about more "consequences" for death, but if that means full loot, well I guess that's incentive for me to stay away... Who cares what resources are in there because I won't have anything to do with it... Please spend your dev time working on player horses or something... I wouldn't mine loosing a "random" piece or two, but not everything... Let me sneak in and gather what I can, then try to get away with it... I can live with a system that adjusts to the Risk... I could even live with loosing some gold instead of equipment, say you make a system where if I die in PvP zone my killer can loot 5 gold off my corpse, but if a group were to kill me, then each could loot 25 gold off me (up to 5 ppl or maybe 10 ppl), that would be like 250 gold out of my bank. The ransom system sounded good too, for equipment... I know it doesn't sound like much, but that's all I get from a monster, some gold and a piece of equipment...

11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Why can't we just have multiple coin values as an in-game mechanic, and make the lower ones (like "tin coins") the common currency of the realm. Devaluing it to the point where nobody will actually possess more than a few hundred gold pieces at a time.

12. MR_CISEK

MR_CISEK Avatar

I love all of this...

fantalio and Isaiah like this.
  13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

There will be a rare resource! It will be Urafraktanium!!!!

(sorry.. .been waiting five hours for a flight that was supposed to depart four hours ago... couldn't help it :p )

14. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

How do you use store credit???????????????????HELP Please....I have 54.oo in store credit and want to use it to get a town basement

[​IMG]

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

when you buy something it will have a field for "credit available to be used", just add it and it will subtract from the cost

Oakwind likes this.
  16. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

I have never done PVP, but I thought they were going to put more resources there because a lot of the territory is already more difficult even without PVPers attacking anyone. I guess I was wrong.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Amarako2

Amarako2 Avatar

LOL... Vendor Bank Guards! ... Check 10000 (pile of checks in bank instead of gold now) Yeah you rich crafters with well placed vendors in UO know what I'm talkin about :p

Tahru and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

one currency is faster code. i feel multiple denominations would mean more code and lag. it would certainly add two more subsets to hoard.

The Hendoman

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Everything sounds really good in your post Chris. I do have a concern that pvp guilds will own/monopolize pvp zones and will get the majority of rare crafted ingredients. I hope that to combat that, the pve area rare resources although occurring less frequently, are in total much, much higher outside of pvp zones. So say at any given time all pvp zones have a total 10 of the rare resource, in pve zones there are a total of 50. (just spread out over 100 possible areas).

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  20. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I know people have been showing a fear that PvPs may end of dominating the zone. But I actually see a whole new field in the economy opening. While there may be groups who purposefully try to camp and capture certain areas, there will also be groups who will put services out there to aid those individuals that may be after a resource. I am certain some of these groups will do it at low cost and the joy of actually having a reason to PvP. (One of the things I don't like about PvP is, to an extent, its seems to be about players wanting to kill other players. For me to PvP I need a reason, ie tournaments, protecting others, war.)

Lord Blake Blackstone and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.