Titles: just who do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Themo Lock, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I prefer to look at my title it as a Royal Title bestowed upon me for my contribution ,enthusiasm and willingness to do my absolute best to help SoTA become a success..
    I can't animate,compose,rig,sing or dance and don't wish to over see a Duchy. So this is how I could help.

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Well historicity they were the wealthy buggers that had the funding, education, training and health for it but yes i understand what you mean. Nice motto by the way.

Tahru likes this.
  3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

So Wildlings?

4. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Not so much wildings, even though we have some. Just a gathering of all walks of life working together to find balance in a fallen realm!

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  5. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

this is for duke William

sorry couldnt help my self.
    wonders when stealth will be implemented? think i might need to to walk to the realm

unfortunately getting this has made me want to watch this movie tonight so u can guess what i will be doing tonight with the kids

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I will proudly bear my title when I get summoned for a royal appearance!

Time Lord, Themo Lock, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  7. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

I can already tell by this thread, role play will be grand. Pledge titles/ in game titles, whatever it is... based on your character build and how you choose to play and or recognise others will bring fruitful scenes for RP.

Coming across Lord Blake and bowing to him will open up one hell of a role play scene that like Sir Bowen said, "think on our feet and be flexible when dealing with others". Even if it's not related to RP, players will always have disagreements especially if a hierarchy involving real players is implemented.

Even if players don't recognise me for being someone of high value, the build up to gaining their respect and having a stature worthy of belonging to me is more valuable than just having a name. You can do that with or without a pledge title

It's a bit like the game Fable. Your popularity is based on the decisions and actions you make which evidentially puts you in a better or worse position. For those owning their own town, they do have priority and the right to be called which ever title they wish. If the owner is wise and reasonable, more players will live there and vice versa.

Possibilities are endless. Can't wait to meet you all in game!

8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Well said kudos!

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

In UO, you earned titles by your skills. Everyone could become a Lord if they wanted to. There were no class division artificially set up before the game ever started.

In the real world, there's probably a reason why most Western countries do not have monarchies anymore, or ones that truly have power per se. That idea is long gone in most people's minds.

On the other hand, there are groups that re-enact history, the Society of Creative Anachronism for example. Seems to me they democratically elect kings and queens, but whatever. haha

Shroud is a roleplaying game, and medieval or Renaissance games have always been an interest to me. But this is not due to the feudal system.

Personally, I think having people pay for titles is probably a business strategy I would not have chosen. Owning property of those levels should be enough. But this conversation is purely academic anyway, because there is no changing it. Once the die is cast.......

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Just because someone bought a title it doesn't make them your lord. I guess the title is more cosmetic then anything else.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  11. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

If i want to roleplay a duke, and have the property and history required ingame - Why not?

In games everywhere, people have always been able to roleplay whatever they want WITHOUT TITLES, and the titles in SOTA will not work on its own, it will also work fine without them.

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I wish the OP would've started by asking Lord British who he thinks he is.

I haven't seen many threads started asking this question in the last 20 years.

Lord Blake Blackstone and Tahru like this.
  13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Ok, I'll bite. Who does Lord British think he is?

Oh ya. A game developer who can give themselves any title they choose. :D

14. Drocis the Devious

Right, and it would seem he has also given others titles using those same powers.

[check mate]

Themo Lock likes this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Game developer, wizard and space adventurer ... that is a trifecta.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I question our Lord's wisdom in this affair.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is some fuzzy logic...sure give them titles...doesn't mean they mean anything to anyone else.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

LOL :)

Tahru likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Absolutely, rune_74!

I couldn't agree with you more.

I personally enjoy recognizing the titles. In part because it's a thank you to people that pledged to the game (usually a hefty amount) and also because it's common courtesy. It's like when someone puts "Dr." in front of their name. Spoiler, they'd like to be addressed as "Doctor". Even if they're a bad doctor, not your doctor, a doctor of something no one cares about, or an honorary doctor. It's pretty much universally recognized as the right thing to do.

But no one in the game should feel like they're "beholden" to any of these people with titles. I know I don't. I can just as easily say "you're an idiot Duke so and so" as I can "you're an idiot so and so". The title is not that important to showing someone disdain.

The character backstory I've developed for myself uses the title, though it has nothing to do with any courtly benefits. Instead, it's a show of what you might expect from a Baron. It says, I own a large house, I have "stuff", and you can expect that inside this game world I come from some means. All of that is factual, due to the pledge tier I'm at. I think that's a fair use for these titles. When you see someone with the Golden Title of Duke, you know they have some means and at the very least are not just logging in for the first time to ask you where the bank is.

I've actually thought of changing my name around just so my initials would be BFD instead of BDF. Baron Fondorlatos Drocis :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the titles (all of them, even Lord British) are only what you make them out to be. Nothing more, and nothing less. There's some inherent value in the titles, as there should be, but that value only goes so far. If people choose to ignore them, then they don't go very far at all. NPC's on the other hand might give them some added value, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I hope I can murder NPCs that bow to me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.