To Lord British

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by MightyWumpus, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyWumpus

MightyWumpus Avatar

I haven't been having the most wonderful of times recently. Several months ago I discovered that my fiance was cheating on me. Since then I have been coping with depression with mixed success. I had always been aware of the Ultima franchise, but I was born in 1991 and thus mostly missed the Ultima era. After discovering the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter through Kotaku and watching the various interviews with Lord British, I wanted more of the creativity so demonstrated by Lord British. Since Shroud of the Avatar will not see a release for some time I decided to give the main line Ultima series a try, starting with Ultima IV (since it is free on gog.com). I fell in love. I can't stop playing it. Somehow Origin did in 1985 with a few beeps and boops, what a lot of game developers can't do now. Get me to be invested in the world.

I'm still dealing with depression, some days are worse than others, but things have been brighter since my discovery of Britannia. After completing Ultima IV, I can't wait to play the others. I want to thank you, Lord British. Thank you so much for creating these games. It has been such a great release of stress. Thank you.

2. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I know how you feel MightyWumpus (interesting name by the way) I too found solace in Lord British's creations only mine was in the form of Ultima Online.. There I could be anyone, I was rich, known on my shard everything I could of wanted I could get... He really has given us worlds away from the real world!

And for that I will join you in saying Thank you Lord British!

Edit: I have moved this to Kingdoms of Old!

3. Wilson

Wilson Avatar

For me, without the creation of the Ultima series (especially Black Gate, Serpent Isle, and Pagan), I don't think I would be where I am today. At least career wise.

Without watching a friend of mine play those games on his 486 computer, I would have probably never had any interest in computers at all (I'm a Computer Tech now). The first thing I did when I got my new 486 back in 1994 was load up Black Gate and start playing. I remember having to make a special boot disk so I would have enough memory to play it.

Therefore, I would also like to give a big thank you to Lord British! Without his creation, I'm not sure what I would be doing today as a career.

4. Whisper Dragon

Whisper Dragon Avatar

In all seriousness, see a professional if you haven't done so already. Depression is not something to take lightly. Also, talk to a trusted friend. If you don't have one, make one. There are lots of potentials around here.

If it weren't for Ultima, I wouldn't have met my husband, my younger son would never have been born, and Richard and Greg Dykes would have one less thing to talk about. ;)

5. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Depression is a beast, and I still fight it from time to time, but I know the virtues and games definitely helped me stave it off for a long time.

When I first played Ultima III, I was hooked. Ultima V helped me understand who I was in that all those years of listening to others say "video games are stupid" were wrong. They could be art, they could be more. It got me interested in computers, and programming, and creating my own way to learn when those weren't offered at school.

And it's because of Ultima that I turned a hobby into a career. Now if I could find time from the day job to complete coding on a game, I'd be set.

Good luck, glad you found Ultima.

6. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

Ultima and Lord British helped me through some tough times as well. And times can still be tough sometimes. One of the sure fire ways to combat depression is to keep yourself busy so as your mind does not spiral downward. If you are starting at Ultima IV you have a long ways to go and hopefully by then things will have improved in your life.

7. Rotnefson

Rotnefson Avatar

I used to play ultima games 12 hours a day when i had a broken knee and couldn't move (and no it wasn't an arrow).

8. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

The Ultima games Ultima 5 ( my first) helped me through a few bad times ( job layoff) for one. I am grateful for all the games. I still have friends from UO. I played UO from release and have many great memories mostly before ML. Thanks LB

9. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

When I first began Ultima Online it was to ease some emotional pain. It gave me many new friends, whether they are online or not I have gotten close to them and they helped me through many painful times.

Thank you Lord British, you created games that have given me the most happy and cherished memories in the last 10 years of gaming. No other game can ever replace the feeling I get when I log into UO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.