Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Too dark to see in daytime in shade!

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by cosmicvoyager, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Its definitely a problem right now. I think they said though that it is one of the things being worked on in R7.

3. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Before you enter the game, go into the Video options menus and turn off shadows. The game looks considerably better with the shadows off, and you aren't required to carry a torch around in broad daylight.

cosmicvoyager likes this.
  4. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I looked at that screenshot at home yesterday and couldn't see much of an issue - it just looked like a very shady spot. Today, viewing it on my monitor at work, I can see your problem!

So I guess it must be related in some way to the player's actual monitor as well as their settings, but I'm not technical enough to say any more than that... ;)

5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Same here both my work and home monitors it looks fine. It is a tad darker on my work computer but isn't it also like this in real life? If you are out in the sunlight and looking inside something like a house, it will seem a lot darker until you actually out of the sunlight and your eyes adjust.

6. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

The problem is it is so dark that a difference in your video gamma settings can determine whether it is playable or not. Even though though gamma settings are both normal. At gamma 2.2 it is unplayably dark. At gamma 1.8 it is just bright enough. The way it should be is you should be able to see fine with dark gamma and brighter at brighter gamma.

7. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

Yes. That fixes it. Thanks. There is clearly something wrong with the shadows mode.

8. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

think you should take the screen shot again, with your avatar out of the sunlight and in the shadows. If the it is still too dark, then i would say it is a shadows issue. If it is just right, then it is working as intended as was mentioned by Starr in a weekly update.

9. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

It is the same. I just wanted to show it was day. The reason I took the screenshot is because I could not see while in the crafting area. I certainly would not think there was an issue from viewing from outside that area. The problem was inside then I came out to show it is in the day and not night like it looks.

10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I kind of like it, actually.

cheers

11. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

It's bad for me, too. I walk inside a house in the daytime, and it's so dark in there that I'm walking into walls and I can't even see the other side of the room . The game is unplayable in these conditions, but at least the saving grace is to turn off the shadows in the Videos options.

Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  12. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Same here as well
    I get these multiple black circles that take up over 1/3 of the screen if not more. Its the worst at my house... if you see my house in town i'm like near the 3 vendors that sell home goods

13. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

you guys need to adjust your monitor settings. I have viewed this game on 8 monitors and it is your settings that is causing you issues. Not SOTA shaders.

14. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

It's just in Owl's Head
    Well the map is real dark too can't see the road hardly

15. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Darkstarr has already confirmed in other threads it's an issue in the settings they did in R6 to make it darker, and also said they are hoping to get the lighting properly adjusted for the R7 release.

Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  16. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I just did a clean reinstall on a fairly new Dell Inspirion 7000 Laptop I bought in Feb
    It's Quad Core i7
    8Gb Ram
    but a onboard video card but it is pretty good.
    I also don't know why but every time I try to take a screenshot it takes a pic of the desktop and the SotA Launcher.
    Even after the reinstall..
    I was able to take a cpl screen shots at the end of R6 but am unable to post them, using the directions given [​IMG]

17. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

Screenshots for comparison taken at noon. I took them in windowed mode to show my display is not dark. I need to take pictures with a camera to show what it looks like on my display. If the shadows on pictures does not look dark, you have probably changed your display settings from default. Set your gamma to 2.2 which is standard.

With shadows off:

[​IMG]

With shadows on:

[​IMG]

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's a known issue for R6, and they're tweaking the contrast for R7, so be patient... My screen is dark too, but I wouldn't say it's un-playable... Of course I'm on an Win7 system too, that maybe a factor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.