Too late to try Ultima Online?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by MightyUnclean, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I still check in and play from time to time - to pay all my BOD storage vendors, LOL
    I know there are many peeps that regularly play on Atlantic, Great Lakes, Pacific and Europa to name a few of the subscription shards. If you are into pvp I believe Atlantic has a vigorous pvp crowd. :)

NANOC, Womby, Krohon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

UOForever has a site. Just Google it. It's got a standalone client that is pretty intuitive.

The free server community of UO has been pretty well established for some time. In the many years I've hopped from server to server, I've never once encountered any malicious software. Not even malware.

As someone previously mentioned, UO Second Age is the most dedicated era-accurate server there is. It's T2A UO, which if I'm not mistaken is around 1997-98.

UOF is also T2A for the most part, but as I said before incorporates some, "updates," that I personally find refreshing.

It's a very, very fun experience with lots of very good people. Most of the masochists that gave UO it's stigma in the glory days have gotten bored and moved on to lighting garbage fires or whatever.

Just dive in!

The official servers are not good. What they offer is not UO.

Krohon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I would also recommend UOF, played there maybe 1 month ago. I met pk's in the woods a few different teams and some nice guy living in a small tower, he invited me to come inside and gave me some armour and money because my character was all new looking :)

edit: I should note that I have been playing free shards since '98 but never once logged on to the real shards so can't say which is best..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Krohon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! :)

Winfield and Sean from PaxLair/Chesapeake or Captn Norrington from Atlantic can help you. ;)

Here can you down load legal the UO client and try 14 days for free.
    http://uo.com/client-download/

5. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Dude, u missed the best game ever !

6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

theres still activity Atlantic Shard being the most active. I personally play on Napa Valley since that is where i started back in 1997, ok population there. Plenty to do and PvP if you know where to find it.

Krohon likes this.
  7. Getty313

Getty313 Avatar

I also played a while on UO Forever. There are a lot of passionate people on there and rarely did I ever log in without seeing someone else online. The guys who run it are also pretty involved and often run events for the community.

You might not find a true "old school" anymore. Meaning that most servers will have fancy crafts/clothing and uber-magical gear that was not part of the original release. Those changes obviously bring the game on-par with other modern MMOs, so it really depends what your'e looking for.

UO Forever has a Twitch feed that is usually online.
    http://www.twitch.tv/ultimaonlineforever2

Krohon likes this.
  8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

An Corp was a pretty good one back when I tried it (years ago).

The paladin system was absolutely painful back then though, it required you to obtain two items; the first of which involved going to the Isle of the Avatar which was really overrun by hordes of bad guys that ran at super speed to you, and getting to Hythloth level 4, all the while hoping a PK wouldn't come down and find you.

I eventually braved Hythloth and got that item, and then discovered we had to do a similar quest to get the second item - in the same sitting. If you logged off, or if a certain time passed, you'd have to start over. I gave up paladinship at that point :)

Ancev, Krohon and Korim Rackham like this.
  9. Haz

Haz Avatar

I played on Baja for years. After being gone for a few years I came back and moved alot of toons to Atlantic. That was a couple of years ago. Atlantic was still a busy server. Go play. Used to hang in General chat to help new players. It's still a ton of fun.

On both Baja and Atlantic........Parrot the Bard, DM the Animal Tamer, Haz the Archer, Madis the Crafter, and Hump the Thief. Damn that was fun.

Krohon likes this.
  10. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

A free server looks like the best pick, IMHO.

Quenton likes this.
  11. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

if you're looking for an experience that approximates early UO, you can try out the Siege Perilous shard. I've only dared to go there a few times, ganked, ganked again, pickpocketed and ganked... I leave it alone now, lol.

Quenton, Krohon and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  12. Joeyboots

Joeyboots Avatar

I used to play on the freeshard UO Demise back in the day. It used to be one of, if not the most populated freeshard a few years back. Haven't checked in on it in a couple years though, so I have no idea how active it is still.

http://www.uodemise.com/

13. Gapririus

Gapririus Avatar

For me the Free Server community is better than the official game for one massive reason :

Graphics on the official client are still locked to 800 x 600 highest unless you use the new '3d effect' graphics which flat out suck.

Most of the free servers allow you to set the resolution to whatever you want.

I have not the faintest idea why the official client doesn't use this feature after all these years.

14. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If your looking for a smaller, quieter freeshard that is still active I enjoyed my time at UO Traditions. The guy who runs it is really helpful and friendly, always willing to chat. He's taken great pride in his setup and is constantly working to improve it. It is not the basic UO that is officially released but it was fun to play and easy to get started. There are lots of quests and housing is available there which is something I don't always see in many uo shards. Anyway I've tried a few places, including a couple of the ones mentioned already in this thread but, if it wasn't for Shroud, I'd be spending my time at this place.

http://uotraditions.com

15. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  16. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

It was ruined long ago and is only a shadow of what it was, it is now made for PvE so if that is what you like :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ahem... this is actually kind of insulting to this title, remember on which forum you are posting :p just sayin...

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  18. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

PLayer
    I do know which forum this is :) And EA ruined the game completely and anyone that started playing upon release would agree with me I am reasonably sure. Care Bear land plus all the rest was way too much. I pretty well stopped in 2001. So far 2nd age is closer to the real game but sparsely populated .:D

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I sure agree with you, I'm a Siege Perilous player from 1999-2013... I also played Atlantic and Pacific actively and watched those shards being turned into a sims like theme park.

What I'm saying is that the rules that are enforced here with the oracle are much more restrictive than the worse theme-park shards out there. So sating this argument here is like saying the devs are following the wrong path ? :)

20. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Nothing against the devs at all I am all against EA for the many games thy have ruined. I looked forward to this game as I have been an RG game fan for a quite a few years.

Bowen Bloodgood and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.