Too late to try Ultima Online?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by MightyUnclean, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

SOTA feels to be very "care-bear+" Nhili!

From my previous posts you can clearly see that I am not a fan of the sort of wanton ganking that occurred in early UO (from the descriptions I've heard). I like being a care-bear, and I like guys who are too. :) [Although I really do think the oracle is a bit over the top!] So my nihilistic friend, if you think SOTA is going to be like early UO then please stop deluding yourself, it won't be.

2. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I'd also like to add here that it's too bad so many folks came to SOTA thinking they were going to re-experience the first years of UO. Their dis-illusionment and dashed expectations (which hurts when it happens, I understand) have led to some bad reviews of a game that I (and I think the majority of this community) have been hoping will be a really great place to live and play. And those bad reviews hurt all of us.... and I do mean all of us, you unhappy ones as well.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I agree that EA ruined UO I disagree that it had anything to do with the Trammel/Felucca split which was necessitated by the rampant, unchecked PvP. If it's just PvP people wanted, the removal of those who didn't want to fight shouldn't have made any difference as all you'd be left with in Felucca are PvPers.

So to claim the split had anything to do with ruining the game is basically like saying not having weak victims to gank and take all their stuff is what ruined it for you. If anything, hanging out in Felucca pretty much guaranteed you had people to PvP with who actually enjoyed and wanted to do it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

holy smokes Bowen. I do love it when a spade is called a spade...

... what he said!
    :)

5. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Right now I am not in the mood for ganking, rather being ganked and my guild was very anti - pk which was fun(to me) at the time as this was such a new idea. There will never ever be another UO though we all or many of us tried for a very long time to find one.
    The players I know did not expect this to be UO as UO was a special game but when RG left it lost the feel it had. So far I like this game the way it is. With a few exceptions :)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I also think that some unofficial server are way better. Some of them have a very interesting additional material. And you have full-loot-open-pvp servers and "normal" ones, as you wish! =)

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If only things were as simple... I mean really, that is like the tip of the iceberg. Or the tip of the spade if you wish :p

Bowen and a few others are comforted by this a+b=c equation... less thinking, less paradox and less philosophy. But since I follow you @Bowen Bloodgood you've really come a long way, I definitely like your analysis of different systems in the game. But right now it's ironic because you don't apply the same integrity to this part of the "game", ima skip my opinion piece about it.

The reason people come on here *expecting* a UO sucessor @Sophi is because many have followed the history of his game development, and he creates something then the company stops listening to him and does something else, it happened thrice so when people come following the very alluring title "Spiritual successor" they expect a Lord British game to be what was "stolen" from the very man who created them. They expect a revenge of sorts, because they know people are so loyal to this type of sandboxing that it will crush all the others and finally we'll get to say AHA ! I told you so. Now that people know the depth, they don't want to go back.

Pure satisfaction...

People say they don't like pure open sandbox, but that because they don't know what they want really (lack of positive experience), because only a few experienced on both sides (pk and anti-pk) what it means to combine RPG, Strategy and live action into the same universe.

The anti-pk feels useful because the pks can be strategically confronted and intimidated, the crafters feel useful because pack rat pks fill their castles with riches (like in the books and stories), the leaders of every town or guild feel useful because there is a NEED to coordinate in order to get results.

Really I see all those who "PKill" this complex equation as the true PKERS of roleplaying games. They have changed the whole definition of what a roleplaying game is, and they managed to forget WHY.

Oh yes griefers... its EXACTLY what donald trump is doing with the muslims. LETS EXCLUDE THESE SNAKES FROM ***OUR*** WORLD.

The only people I really kind of understand is the DEVS, because with real roleplaying comes drama, and you can only handle so much drama before you wanna come home at 6 pm and FLIP THE DARNED DRAMA SWITCH OFF. lol.

But there is always a solution :)

Miracle Dragon and Korim Rackham like this.
  8. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    It's never to late. I play on Europa.When I first logged in I went to Brit bank and found it empty,I was use to finding lots of players back in the day and did found it very sad. However I desides to give it a go,and what I found is that they had a very healthy community just a bit tucked away. If you care to look you will find.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Let's keep the political commentary to a minimum please.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Well I've been playing since beta, still have 2 accounts that have been active since Oct, 1997 and disagree. EA didn't ruin the game, the non-stop harrasment by PKer's that FORCED non-PVPer's to quit. And before you make assumptions, I have always lived in Fel, live there now and I was quite active on SP.

On the other hand that is all ancient news quite a few folks still play the official shards, it's a profitable game that continues to get updates after 18-19 years. You left 15 years ago, yet it's still around.....hmmmm

Cassandra Corax likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Back at ya, smartypants :p I'm not the one who's using a divisive ideology, in fact quite the contrary. There is no religion, no politics in my desire to unite all Richard Gariott fans.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

"oh no I'm a victim, because my PRIME hunting spot is camped by ganking pks I CHOOSE not to play the game because I'm ENTITLED to the prime hunting spot because I PAY"

basically... people making choices, choosing to play the victim, creating tons of drama until devs THINK its an urgent issue. People would have left for WoW and others anyways, easy game with flashing yellow exclamation points and fedex quests. Not many people REALLY loved Ultimas, sure people played them, but loved them ? Especially because it was difficult, sure some people likes the social aspects of UO and only played for that, but most people complained and complained about the lack of WoWesque functionalities and features. I know because I was a companion after being a Seer and all I heard was people complaining all day about how hard everything was (because Lord British likes TRUE challenges). I could go on for pages about concise examples of this... people didn't even read the guides so I had to explain over and over and over again.

There is always a balanced path. The victim complainer has chosen the extreme path, the persecutor EA has chosen the extreme path.

Balanced path ? Oh look... a video of a kitty filling a bowl like LIQUID !

CATS ARE LIQUID !!! 0.o

and since pks are like hunting cats who sometimes only kill for pleasure and play with their prey, they must be liquid hated !!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm not the one bringing up politics so "back at ya" doesn't really work and making those kinds of comments is anything but unifying.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

From your perspective Bowen, but you know we won't get it anyways, so why do you care about this old UO thread ?

Those kind of comments are indeed unifying, because they encompass a wider variety of players in infinite diversity of situations. They show people with LOVE for the game, people with COURAGE to defend the innocent, and people with TRUTH who tell it like it is.

It's a complex subject but one that is dear to my heart, for you its a simple subject that isn't dear to your heart because you know ; we have no weight. None at all. You can only pour salt on the wound.

I'm sure we would make wonderful antagonists in a LARP, and you would probably end up liking me for actually existing :)

Since we're all behind this screen, ONLY because of this we can't see eye to eye. But lets not pollute this thread with old grudges *cough* and prophecy *chuckles*.

Besides, I am the answer to your most pressing question. :D

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I made but one simple comment in disagreement of a statement. You must be pretty damn smart to be able to tell me what I do or don't care about or my intent. You will note I never gave an opinion on what actually did "ruin UO" one way or the other.. just that that one thing wasn't it.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So dividing the playerbase isn't something that leads to dividing the playerbase ?

Thats all I needed to hear, and I'm glad you care, I'm not in your pants you're right :)

18. Mata

Mata Avatar

Have you found the magic, MightyUnclean? ;)

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You have a strange definition of dividing the player base. All it did was give non-pvpers a place to be safe from PKers.. it did NOT by any stretch of the imagination prevent anyone from crossing over from one side to the next at any time. Including going to Trammel to do whatever business they wanted.. except of course pulling stunts like placing moongates to the middle of the forest just behind the bank door to gank unspecting players etc..

The move probably kept more non-PvPers in-game as.. getting ganked all the time when you've no interest in PvP is NOT and never has been fun for most people.. and when you've not having fun.. you stop playing. So which of the two divides the playerbase more. Giving them to option of being safe vs free PvP.. or making it so frustrating to play that you just stop?

And why for the love of the game.. does anyone want to run around killing people who are just minding their own business and don't want to fight anyway with total disregard for how it impacts their game?

You see I DO care that people are having fun.. PvPers included.. PvP is a big deal.. I get that. I would like nothing better than to see PvPers having a good time. But fun should not come at the expense of others. If someone's fun makes another miserable there's something wrong there. In an ideal setting PvPers should always have other PvPers to fight..

As I said.. it was essentially player behavior which necessitated the split in the first place.

20. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    I found in games that are really busy full of player social interaction can often become non existing as players don't think they need to bond .However you find that if a game has a low population players bond with each other as they need one another to make something memorable and happy.Its a bit like us here we bond (well most of us) because we reconise one another and when we see let's say Bob in game walking by we think "hey I reconise Bob from the forum " and you say hi.

Ice Queen and Mata like this.