Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

too many encounters

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by snow0815, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

With r22 I get drawn inro a roadside encounter every few steps. Way too much, and most of the time there isn't even anything in there, looks like encounters are shaed now, and usually dead by the time you get there. Also, far too many. Between the frequency, th lack of anything in there and the lkoad times this is very annoying. Did I mention there are too many?

2. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Something does seem out of whack and in need of balancing. Twice now I've come out of one and taken maybe 3-5 steps and I'm pulled into another. I really like the concept of the random encounter, it's the load times that do get me when they are that frequent though.

3. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

They used to be instanced but now they are clearly not, most of the time there is nothing or just corpses, once I even saw another plyer killing things and I definitely wasn't grouped.

Heradite likes this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yes, I've also noticed the much greater frequency in random encounters last night while undertaking the Grand Tour. Really annoying waste of resources (arrows, reagents) with very little worthwhile in them (already picked clean of resources) :(

Heradite and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Totally agree with above sentiments
    I travelled from North Brightbone Woods to Ardoris last night, it took nearly 35 minutes!
    Admitedly i do always collect the wood, ore etc, and the last 2 or 3 i just exited, i wasnt counting to begin with but i estimate i was pulled into 8-12 of them at least
    I really like the idea of the random encounters but i do feel we need a way to avoid them if we wish to just get somewhere
    Maybe a prompt comes up - Would you like to enter this random encounter Yes/No (and maybe some options in option window we can check/uncheck - Always enter random encounters, Never enter random encoutners and Always prompt for random encounters)
    Or having them somehow marked on overland map (i think this was planned at one point?) so they can be avoided

6. agra

agra Avatar

<IMHO>
    Yep, compared to R21, they're just annoying wastes of time now in R22. It'd be fine if they were worth doing, but when the creatures drop nothing and all the nodes are harvested... uh... what's the point? A useless time sink? No thanks.
    Change these back to the way they were in R21, and I'll use them again. As it is now, just head for the exit, because it's not even a gimmick, it's just tedious frustration.
    </IMHO>

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yes, I agree. The encounters in R21 were much more enjoyable than this o_O

agra likes this.
  8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm looking into the reports about players not in the same party ending up in the same Random Encounter map, but the set-up for the encounter maps look correct. Do you recall which specific encounter map you were in when you saw the other player? Was it in Novia or Hidden Vale? Was it forest, plains, or some other environment? What enemies (skeleton, wolves, etc.)? Any specific details would be great.

Mata, Heradite, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  9. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Getting drawn into other player's encounters already happened very very often in R21.
    I always thought this was intended :p.

Anyways, happened already very often in R21 arround Soltown in Novia, the plains area where you have to kill Bandits for example.
    Or also the plains area where skeletons are.
    Oh also have seen other players in the area with the vendor (also plains).

With plains i mean the area with the "road" in the middle and hills left and right from it.
    Not sure if you would call that area different?

Can't tell if it was in any other area, cause like i said, i thought this was intended.

Succuba likes this.
  10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

frequency should be greatly reduced next patch

Mata, Heradite, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  11. Succuba

Succuba Avatar

Being able to ALWAYS avoid them would defeat the purpose of them, no? Maybe have normal encounters with " Something catches your attention, would you like to check it out?" with the possibility to trigger either a friendly encounter ( merchant or so ) or enemies (like a dare), BUT also make "ambushes" that can't be avoided, bandits f.e.. So you would have overall reduced time, if you choose so, but not being able to completely skip that feature.

Oh and I also thought, that random ppl in there was intended. I always see other people in there. Definitely between Ardoris and Solace Bridge, rest I can't remember, if there was.
    And also I definitely remember one killing skellies in that one, with that stonehenge-like structure and the mentioned skeletons.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As himmelweiss mentioned, being pulled into non-party random encounters has been an issue for many releases now. I too thought it was intentional, and did not think anything of it.

I don't play in Hidden Vale, so cannot speak to that area : However, I have encountered being pulled into other player's maps all along the Perennial Trail.

Almost always the "Plains" maps (but this could simply be because that is the one that appears in the highest frequency) : The Merchant Map, The Skeleton Map, The Wolves Map, The Bandit Map.

I am in a party at the time if that makes any difference, however the owner of the encounter scene is *not* my party member. :)

Heradite, Succuba and 4EverLost like this.
  13. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I'm mostly solo and it still puts me in a scene with someone else if I'm in Novia. Even the Solace Forest (Bandits) area, this happens. Though I don't recall it happening in Hidden Vale, but then again, I don't get pulled into one as much in Hidden Vale so maybe it would if it happened more frequently.

Duke Raas likes this.
  14. Succuba

Succuba Avatar

Ah yeah same.

Duke Raas likes this.
  15. Curt

Curt Avatar

My suggestion about random encounter is this: (assuming 10% chance to get into a random encounter)
    When you is dragged into a random encounter a 2? minute cooldown is started

If you enjoy the random encounter you will likely spend 2+ minutes in it
    If on the other hand you leave it as soon you can then you will still have that 'cooldown' active

When you has a active cooldown related to encounters, you should receive no random encounter

the 10% and 2 minutes is numbers to be decided

Heradite likes this.
  16. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Perhaps the Oracle could sell a blessing to reduce the amount of random encounters? :)

17. Sannio

We put in a special gimmick (last release, I think?) that was supposed to limit random encounters to players in a single party, but the thread suggests it's not working, or at least not in all cases. Any info on what everyone is experiencing is very helpful. A couple of releases ago, all the random encounters were removed from Novia except two, which I'll call Forest Road and Plains Road (both in the Perennial Coast). Both of them have several random "scenarios" that can happen once the map loads, so all those plains situations you mentioned are actually all connected to that one Plains Road map. It's good data, so thanks for sharing it! Hopefully this kind of info can help us pinpoint the source of any problems.

SIDENOTE #1: There are two more Random Encounters being added with the newest release: A new Swamp Road encounter in the Perennial Coast and a (non-road!) Plains encounter in Drachvald.

SIDENOTE #2: The frequency of the Perennial Coast road encounters is being reduced. Hopefully, it will feel like you're being pulled into the road encounters significant less than before. (Thanks for the feedback, everyone!) However, the new Drachvald plains encounter will be more common because there's not much in Drachvald right now (but when more maps come into that area, it's frequency will also be reduced).

sake888, Heradite, majoria70 and 5 others like this.
  18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Drachvald plains, here I come.........once, I figure out where you are:rolleyes:

19. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Ok i went out of Ardoris and wandered arround Soltown. Right on my first encounter it happened and i have seen 2 other players:

Heradite likes this.
  20. Sannio

Northeast in Novia. It's like they say, "You can't get more northeast than Drachvald." They say that, right? I'm sure someone says that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.