Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Too much fizzle on longbow

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by The Banker, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Banker

The Banker Avatar

GM Chain Lightning, GM Follow Through, Shrine of Justice, Stark naked with only a longbow equipped,

I would still get fizzle on my chain lightning and other skills even if I took them 120+

It should be difficult to cast some skills forcing you to specialize, but not impossible.

The fizzle should be reduced some on the longbow.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Numa and Rada Torment like this.
  2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

A wood staff gives you a 30?% fizzle reduction. A wood bow gives you a 15?% fizzle penalty. I don't understand it either. Especially since the archery combos are mostly with the air tree.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    discipleofweb and disynthetic like this.
  3. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Fizzle chance is a bit ridiculous across the board, IMO, especially since a release or two ago.

Cordelayne and Beaumaris like this.
  4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I think some of the principal was the idea if you're holding a bow you cant do fancy hand waving - but.. while you'd argue that with a staff, staffs can be imbued with magic or channel magic so maybe thats the (rather lame but) effort of explaination

Personally it drove me nuts as an archer that I get maybe at low skill level you're fingers and thumbs but..

5. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

No it shouldnt. Use a wand/staff or stick to your bow tree.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

My personal grief with fizzle is that it is applied to weapons while they are holstered - in other words, you're out of combat, not holding a weapon - yet the fizzle rate is applied as if you are holding it in combat.

7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Your opinion is noted.

Air and Archery should complement each other, as Ignite Weapon complements melee. Air tree has a significantly higher fizzle rate and it is unwarranted.

Tila Tenderfoot and Rentier like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

With full leather armor and a longbow, my fizzle chance with the two air spells that combo with ranged are 0% (Gust) and 8% (Discharge). So what's your point?

[edit] Oh yeah, that's at skill level 40 for both. The fizzle would go down for Discharge if I trained it up a bit.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Rentier and Stundorn like this.
  9. Dirtmuncher

Dirtmuncher Avatar

Why have fizzle change at all?
    It's magic you don't have to wave your hands to cast. Have you ever seen anyone in real life cast a spell while waving their hands??
    It's not like magic is OP in the game even if you can cast it reliably. Maybe raise the focus cost of spells while wearing heavy armour.

Sara Dreygon and Rentier like this.
  10. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Air and archery shouldnt complement each other. Comparing a whole tree to 1 glyph like ignite weapon isnt much of an argument. You can always wear cloth and a bow and cast with ease.

As the main single target dps in the game, you also want one of the best CCs in the game to compliment it.... do you not see what you are asking for? We've been down this road a long time ago... when everyone was an air mage archer....

jolanar likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've never seen anyone actually cast a spell in real life because magic isn't real.

Mum47, liz_the_wiz and Stundorn like this.
  12. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

BTW its not, it was for two months, but not now.

13. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

If there is an authority on the effectiveness of ranged combat, Spinok is it.

14. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I think there is some confusion here. Limiting "the single target king DPS" ranged combat to only having complementary effect in its own tree as justified, is ridiculous. Most people espouse the freedom of our currently evolving combat system as its main strength. But that is currently limited to magic being versatile, and melee builds being dependent on support from low fizzle spells. There is something missing with regard to a high-level archer being capable of adapting to a changing combat situation. There is something even more damning about being unable to be USEFUL without immense experience investment and GREATER investment in deck design.

The arguments keep focusing on "our" relative experience, which is clearly 80-110 alvl for those participating in these discussions. Low levels need a path to viability if they are to commit to living a 24/7 PVP-flagged game lifestyle. It should be possible, fun, and have clear progression in an intuitive direction. As it stands, many would-be ranged combat players feel like the game is over for them when they GM the ranged combat skills they want to use.

Should their game be done because others consider inter-tree functionality be OP? Of course not.

What I posit is that archery remain single-target in effectiveness but be allowed flexibility different ways. It's not remotely OP to consider lowering fizzle for ranged combat, just because it once was.

15. Thief

Thief Avatar

We had fire mages hitting 100s each second (early in the game)
    We had impossible to hit mages (high avoidance)
    We had air mages /archers
    We had 1 sec spammable death ray mages

Please ask something different.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm fine with selective reduced fizzle depending on the weapon type. So blades would have a lower fizzle rate with fire spells, bludgeons with earth spells, ranged with air spells and (maybe) polearms with water spells. It should encourage specialization and that's a good thing.

17. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Im not asking for anything, learn to read. Wrong quote?

18. Filter Bubble Algorithm

I know :(
    But it should be...

19. Thief

Thief Avatar

wrong quote :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.