Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Too much stuff on the screen

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The goal should be to remove any and all numbers, hit point counters, or other non-immerssive elements of the game from the screen.

No one benefits from all the junk on the screen.

For those that like to crunch the numbers, my suggestion would be to have all the numbers dump to a log file allowing you to crunch at your leisure. The HP and Mana counters for yourself and your party are also too much. Again, ideally the game should visually give you clues to how you're doing in combat, but it should never tell you X amount of damage was done on your last attack.

I know this is a foreign concept to many people, but the main purpose of this game is to roleplay not roll-play. Having all the numbers and data filling the screen encourages MIN/MAXing and rewards a style of play that is frankly a byproduct of poor game design.

My feedback from R6 is to remove this information post haste.

Lastly, I believe the chat window being crucial to communication with NPC's and other Players should have a COMPLETELY FIXED position on the screen to help avoid a lot of the confusion that currently causes players to type in the chat window when they mean to perform an action or to enter combat.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I still think they should at least give us an option to put text above our heads instead of that chat box.

3. Culann

Culann Avatar

I agree with you Baron Drocis about removing any non-immersive elements from the game. In the first release with PvM combat (sorry can't remember which one atm) there was a simple, small circle over the player's and monster's heads that changed from green to yellow to red as damage was accrued. I thought it was a brilliant, classy and innovative idea...it got the important info across, ie. winning/losing the battle? and was totally unobtrusive. Apparently I was in the minority because it was changed to the standard health bars in the next release. I find the 'floaty numbers' irritating and immersion breaking. Mind you, while crunching numbers is pretty much irrelevant at this point in the game, it will become very important later on when combat/pvp is for real and we need to know how much damage we are giving and receiving to help us decide what armour, weapons and spells to use. That information is already available in the chat window in real time. Why do we need two versions of it...in the chat and in the screen. Perhaps a compromise would be to have a Settings switch to disable the 'floaty number's' and other such things for those who prefer not to see them.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  4. Culann

Culann Avatar

There is an option for text bubbles over heads. I think it's in the Game section of the Setup menu.

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Nice, have not been in the last few tests so glad to hear.

6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

This has been a main objective from day one, why complainig?

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.