Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Top 10 Annoyances

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by smack, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I actually like the auto-attack. You can turn yours off by using the "t" key.

2. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

Would like to see the trainer stand still as long as "any" character is interacting with it...that being said players should be able to start interaction from a few feet (or yards even) away, so as not to surround the trainer when lots of players are doing the same thing (like in some many other games), making it impossible to click the trainer!

Or maybe have a trainer appear in the instance you are in, maybe always located at a specific compass point entrance/exit, regardless of the instance?
    Or maybe have a shortcut key that summons the trainer to your current location...you know those sensei, they always seem to know where you are and what you are doing!

Hearse

smack and Moonshadow like this.
  3. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

1. Having to wrestle with your quickbar because of the weird deck system.
    2. Gear breaking down so fast that you have to constantly repair it.
    3. Falling off a table and taking 6000 damage.
    4. Load screens that load 5 times longer than games that look 5 times better.
    5. I've seen card tricks that did more damage than any SoA spell.
    6. Players turning their plot into a monument to broken immersion.
    7. NPC being not at all forthcoming with relevant info you need to complete quests.
    8. Buffs being self targeted only.
    9. Netflix always asking me if I'm still watching if a new episode starts while I'm playing SoA on my other monitor.
    10. Being pigeonholed into coming up with 10 things.

Leos, smack and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  4. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

Agreed.
    The issue is the whole combat system. With a more realistic combat system such as the one in skyrim the immersion would be much higher. different type of weapon swing, parry with right click, etc. etc. etc.

Wilfred and Aetrion like this.
  5. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Many of the above + Having a public Lot, not being able to lock the door of my house and having to use a wooden wall to lock it.

smack and Moonshadow like this.
  6. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I agree that a system like that would be more entertaining, but one big thing to keep in mind is that MMOs like this are sort of "pseudo real time", in the regard that what you see on the screen is only a graphical representation of what the server determines to have happened based on the absolute minimum of information needed to create a believable outcome. It doesn't base whether or not you deal damage on where the blade goes on your screen, it just checks if you were close enough to hit and then says yes or no based on a calculation. The best you could get out of it in terms of a more immersive melee system is something like Morrowind more than something like Skyrim.

7. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Great Post idea.

My list of 12:
    1. Furniture – it needs to match in wood tone and color. Beds, Chairs, Tables, Cabinets should all be of the same wood for rooms to look better. Today you have a mahogany looking bed with Cabinets that look like Pine and tables that look like Oak all in the same room.
    2. Decoration Placement – if there is an empty space in a room you should be able to place any furniture there. Been trying to place a hearth in a huge empty room and it just stays red and won’t place. This happens with other items many times as well.
    3. Red Crafting Item of Death – If your crafting item(s) turns red and stays red you basically can’t continue with any crafting. You can’t remove that item from the crafting station either. Only resolution I have found is to Quit and Log back in.
    4. Crash Logs – I have heard from the SotA team that they already have crash logs so we don’t need to send them in. However they are still created on our hard drives and take up disk space. Would like to be able to turn them off where I don’t have to remember to delete them and then delete them from my trash as well.
    5. Basement Lighting – there is none. Even with placing Braziers and Chandeliers and Hearths everywhere it is still darker than dirt in those basements.
    6. Login screens – One screen (or maybe two) would be okay, but five? I’m thinking that when I select ‘launch game’ that it means I want to play the game – silly thought, I know. But no, I have to say I want to play two more times. I would think we could have the login info, the disclaimer that it’s under Construction, and that we want to play all in one screen.
    7. Please just kill me and let me die – Not sure what the purpose of the Ghost is, but it is definitely annoying to be a Ghost for some time and then be resurrected with no Health or Focus for an additional two minutes while the bad guys beat up on you. Just punish me once, okay?
    8. Grand Tour Quest Hats – Don’t really want to wear them but it would really be nice to be able to display them somehow. Otherwise I have died over and over again only to leave my ‘unique’ hat stay in my inventory.
    9. Merchants – Would really like to know where they all are and what they sell. Maybe the town crier could tell us what merchants are available in that town. I would love to have a potted plant or two and don’t have a clue where to buy them. And if I can make one, I haven’t found a merchant with the recipe yet. Same with other items I see in every yard.
    10. Repair Kits – Wow…. we have to carry how many to make sure our entire armour set can be repaired on the go? Wish we could buy / make a repair kit that repairs more than one item at a time.
    11. Books that only lay down – would love to actually setup a book shelf that holds the books properly and looks like a book shelf rather than a knick-knack shelf.
    12. Merchant Prices – I thought I read or heard somewhere that in R12 the merchants would be paying 50% of the value on what you sold. Looks like it is actually 25%. Example, I can sell Mounted Antlers for 25 gold but have to pay 100 gold to buy them from a merchant. It’s disheartening to get such a low amount for so much work.

But LOVE the game and see improvements every release.

8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Without a doubt!!!
    Took me a little bit to figure out I wasn't able to raise stuff because dufus had wandered away. Training windows block your view so you can't see the trainer wander off.

Duke Olahorand, smack and Moonshadow like this.
  9. paxprobellum

paxprobellum Avatar

They buy for 1/2x and sell for 2x.

Price = 50.
    Sell price = 25.
    Buy Price = 100.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

OK I will go...

1) People decorating their lots like that crazy neighbor everyone avoids.
    2) People saying that what happens in 1 is art.
    3) The icons used in the UI they look washed out.
    4) Getting out of combat mode is wonky.
    5) Constant duels in any busy area.
    6) People constantly requesting duels(though in r12 I didn't notice it as much)
    7) Not being able to find any companions;)
    8) Magic system needs work.
    9) Trying to find the tour guides:p
    10) Being told to wait for more info that never comes;)

docdoom77, Joviex, Phredicon and 3 others like this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The only thing that really annoys me so far is when selling to a merchant and it fails giving that "something went wrong with the transaction" message. I then spend ages trying to figure out which of the 200+ items i am trying to sell is causing the issue... I'm looking at you durability 10 pirate cutlass!

12. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Agree with all of these too. Especially:

10) Being told to wait for more info that never comes

13. Haz

Haz Avatar

1. Archery was underpowered, then we got special arrows....which are underpowered...but we got special arrows!!
    2. Cursing, or cursoring, over a glyph while in battle mode, raises a tool tip that should be larger, maybe fill up the rest of the screen :p
    3. My Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver doesn't work properly.
    4. I'm so used to using my mouse to move around in my house I keep redecorating without meaning to (can't lock anything down).
    5. I placed my house and put the deed in a chest in the house, it's all good, placed my basement, placed the deed in the same chest and my basement disappeared.
    6. I still have a bunch of combat daggers from the bandits stuck in my pack, no one wants to buy them.
    7. I can't move my health bar to the lower center of my screen.
    8. I don't mind slugs at all....liar, liar, pants on fire
    9. Archery is still underpowered.
    10. My wife hates SotA, but not yet as much as she hated UO.
    11. Archery, again.......

14. DooMAGE

DooMAGE Avatar

- Shadows killing the game performace.

smack likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Haz, you have a great sense of humor. You gave me a laugh while reading your portrayal of your annoyances. lol ;) :cool:

smack likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, I'll add a #11 because I committed this crime earlier:

11. Hold open a chest and go afk. :)

Ronan and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  17. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Good topic.
    Ok reading from other peoples list, I agree with a lot of what was already mentioned. Let me quote some here: (Avoiding typical "load times" and "graphic shortcoming" as mentioned by the original poster)

1. "Tripping on a pebble kills you for 2349082423429048 fall damage" <-- Happens to me all the time.
    2. "Whenever you are notified of durability loss, you have to check each and every item to see which one triggered it. How about a nice yellow or red glow outline around the item in your character portrait?"
    3. "Tooltips of your glyphs in the combat bar get in the way" <-- YES!
    4. "Being in active chat mode after leaving a NPC Goods UI. 'wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaadd'"
    5. "Mining is more like harvesting/collecting than actually going out and mining."
    6. "No skill advancement from using skill" <-- Fight with swords, get points, put them in bow and get better at archery??
    7. "...when selling to a merchant and it fails giving that "something went wrong with the transaction" message. I then spend ages trying to figure out which of the 200+ items i am trying to sell is causing the issue..." <-- Mine was always durability 34 cutlass.

Plus a couple of my own:
    1. PvP and dead bodies throughout the major towns while guards walk by unconcerned. (This is what arenas and the wilds are for. Maybe even some of the smaller towns without guards but not Owls Head and Kingsport where things are being patrolled.)
    2. No trachcan or trash button in backpack.
    3. Archery requiring special arrows to use the skills. Should be able to use the skills with regular arrows but if special arrows are in your pack it will use them first to provide more damamge.
    4. Not being able to attack something until I click on a glyph 'special attack', clicking/double-clicking doesn't seem to work and I just stand there getting hit until I click on a glyph attack.
    5. Running into a building and closing the door, climbing to a different level or dodging around a corner does nothing to allow me to leave 'War mode' even when I put my weapons away. The enemy cannot reach me but I cannot heal because they are still looking for me or trying to get to me. (Happens a lot in Vertas Pass, go into a house and close the door or climb to the second floor.)
    6. Names and Titles floating over my head for the world to see. (See Here)
    7. Dodging around a house or wall and having the fireball or arrow come through the barrier to hit me anyway.
    8. In game books missing chunks of text from one page to the next.

amaasing and smack like this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Great thread everyone. This is quite helpful for us, especially going into R14 which is supposed to focus on polish. Keep them coming!

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Your will, my lord, is our command.

Why make it so hard to make proper bug reports, when you already have the data?

Right now I have to copy paste info from four locations to make a proper bug report, plus fill it in.
    A) the 1-6 numbers with headers to make it readable
    B) the release patch build, OS etc
    C) the /loc result
    D) my system's stats
    Of these you already "know" and collect ABC, but only put C into my clipboard.

Suggestion:
    When I click the Bug icon or use the /bug command put all of this into the clipboard:

Code:
    1.Title:

2.Reproduction Rate:

3.Blocker?

4.Details:

5.Steps to Reproduce:

6.User Specs:

7. <SotA.PreAlpha. <OS> <32/64> <build> <date>

8. <Location>
    This would mean I could simply do the /bug and then start the correct forum thread, paste, fill it in.
    You'd get more reports with better quality with a minimum of effort.

Extra suggested feature for a rainy day:
    let me put a string into "settings" with my system's stats and put that string into the "6.User Specs:" above clipboard so I don't have to fill it in again and again.
    Put that string in the local folder of the systme so that I can have one string on one system and a second string in a different system.
    (Yes I'm testing with high end and low end gear to provoke the system).

Extra cake with sugar on top suggested feature for a tornado warning day:
    Screenshot+upload to forum
    You would have such a higher level of quality in the bug reports if this forum would allow direct product to forum screenshot support.
    Especially for LUM stuff like NPC dialog, or all the decoration and later on economy reports. It will make your life much easier if you could get it in.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-3rd-party-open-sourced-screenshot-app.17159/

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

1-5 and can be ordered however you want:
    Crafting without List Inventory doesn't provide a good immersive experience and has too many penalties to performance.
    Trying to move things inside of bags when not using List Inventory often doesn't work.
    Looting without using List Inventory doesn't have the same "take all" options which penalizes you again.
    The sides of the bag graphics and the top of the chest graphics for the inventory are too large which cause the boundary of the inventory object to be invisible to most... often causing items to float in space.
    I don't want to use List Inventory.
    6: dear lord please fix fall damage... I get to jump off the top of the tallest place in the world for 1-6 dmg but I walk down my stairs and die twice.
    7: mages... mages... mage combos... mage damage... mages WITHOUT BOWS (that's a hybrid archer/mage)... mages WITHOUT SWORDS (that's a hybrid warrior/mage) need to be introduced into the game.
    8: once mages are introduced they need to be able to defend themselves with some new cool ability (I've read them all and haven't found the "oh @#$%" button that most games give us... it just makes sense to have an escape option when you can be 2 shot...) that's part of balancing.
    9: all magical combos need to be reviewed... currently there is one... ONE... pure mage combo... I want like 10... NAO... *looks @Chris and BSOD his computer* yeah... if mages worked your computer would work... fyi
    10: recall/port spells please :)
    11: all spells should REQUIRE reagents to cast
    12: all melee damage should be reduced by 25% and the top 20% crit damage should be removed (I've been one shot by that stupid str prebuff crap too many times in the BEST cloth gear in the game... COME ON)
    13: skip this because it's not lucky
    14: please ignore the fact that I can't count
    15: Merry Christmas :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.