Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Top 10 Annoyances

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by smack, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I have a #16: mage spells that require you to hold a wand/staff that do more damage because they require it and by doing so put a purpose in the game for wands/staffs.

smack, Net and Sir Frank like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As above with:

16: Fix mages......no really!
    17: Have more penalties attached to plate armour
    18: Please please please fix the Ctr key so it doesnt stop you moving when you press it............push to talk is becoming a nightmare.
    19: Bah Humbug

3. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

okay, just 10 points from me:

1: Game too Combat/Crafting/Housing focused at this point (where are the ooc skills?)
    2: the game performance needs a lot of work
    3: no trainable out of combat skills => not enough interesting choices and possibilities when out of combat
    4: no companions => content, that is extremely hard to do in single player mode (like the Lich in the swamp)
    5: not enough journals (don't want arrows to quests, etc., but something like a character log, where I can read about the NPCs I've already met or heard about and get their last known position)
    6: Dialog and Crafting interface is too cumbersome and tedious for me (way too much unnecessary clicking)
    7: quest dialog, that gets way too easy overlooked (especially, when cluttered through combat dialog, etc.)
    8: don't like the auto-discard during combat, because it tends to make the game way more stressful (to prevent abuse you could introduce a focus drain as long as you are in combat mode without fighting: something like fatigue)
    9: Magic needs an overhaul and way more spells
    10: don't really like the ammunition and reagents system at this time. Would be fine if combat was something special, but too tedious in a game where you need to fight all the time...

smack and Lord Lonn like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

1. Combat is a DPS War. There's no way to block or counter, so it's all about "best builds" and will always be about "best builds" so long as the combat system is based on DPS.
    2. There's nothing special about magic. The cooking system is more sophisticated and interesting. Magic is just ranged DPS.
    3. No one needs or uses Reagents. If I cast a summon spell, or a light spell, or a damage spell, who cares if it drains more focus or not? The whole reason the spell was cast in the first place was to get the effect of the spell. It's just like if I cast an invisibility spell. If my choice is to cast the spell without reagents or to cast it with reagents, who cares as long as I'm invisible?
    4. Healing is spammed by everyone, it should not be used while in combat mode. The current system makes healing potions irrelevant.
    5. There's no ability to use the backspace in the list inventory search. (Bug Reported by other users)
    6. Many items are mislabeled or have been added to the game incorrectly. Example: Obsidian Cloak is the title to cloaks that are not the Obsidian Cloak. (Bug Reported by other users)
    7. Many of crafting recipes do not work per their description. (Bug Reported by other users)
    8. Avatars sprint everywhere. There should be a penalty associated with constant sprinting.
    9. Damage from jumping is out of whack. There should be fatal damage from falling off a roof, but not from jumping off a fence post.
    10. PVE is lame. It's just a bunch of MOB's standing around waiting to get killed so they can gift players with loot and exp. There's no point to it other than that. I often imagine skeleton's saying "Just 20 more years of this and I can retire. It's not bad work if you can get it." Then a Lich Mage says, "You think you have it bad? I'm at the top of middle management and the benefits are still horrible!" What are these NPC's doing standing around all day?! ;)
    11. Signing into the game is redundant. I should just be able to double click the icon on my deskstop and sign in automatically. (I should also have the ability to have two factor authentication behind the scenes that protects my account)
    12. What's the point of destructible crates and barrels? Is this Super Mario? I don't understand why this is in the game at all.
    13. Players that put JUNK in their doorways to keep people out of their houses. Should home owners have a way to lock their front door? Yes. Should they be able to put junk in their doorways? No.
    14. The game has dynamic lighting effects, torches, lights spells, and night vision. But none of these mean anything because people cry about how dark it is or how light it is. Make torches, skills and spells, that actually mean something. Suggestion: Make torches, skills, and spells that help players find resources, secrete passages, and dungeon entry and exit points when it's dark.
    15. NPC conversations are frustrating because it's hard to tell if they're being coy or actually telling you something of importance. I often feel stupid because I don't know if NPC's are giving me all the information or if there's a quest that can't be completed at this stage of development. (or if the NPC is just an idiot)
    16. There are hidden combat values. So how am I supposed to test something if I don't know it's there? I understand why the values are hidden, but I often don't know if something is working as intended, it's designed poorly, or if it's just royally bugged.
    17. There's no way to knock on the doors of homes before entering. My only choice is breaking and entering.
    18. Avatars don't shut doors behind them. There should be a flag that players can set that allows them to automatically close all doors behind them.
    19. The polearm has "reach" that makes latency have an EXTRA crazy impact on pvp combat.
    20. If I attack someone in platemail in the back with a dagger, it's almost as if I didn't attack them at all. All weapons can kill people...daggers are not butter knives.

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

One of my memories of UO was cross healing... I think we should have a 50% penalty to healed amount when casting on ourselves and we should get an increased chance to fizzle when casting on ourselves. Share the love, share the health! XHEAL!

This helps reduce the 1v1 never ending battles due to heals and benefits group play and companion play by encouraging you to get the healer companion or take a healer with you in your party... yes... that'll be my #17...

#17 give us a reason to heal other people!

And here's my 18-20... with a special emphasis on the fact that I had no idea daggers were in the game :p :cool: (where's the :troll: emote?)

smack, Net and Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This should be #1 on everyone's list. Even as much as I hate the combat focus on DPS, this makes me want to throw my computer through the window. :mad::)

Caliya, Dr Ikirouta, Arianna and 3 others like this.
  7. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Well i've seen all of them except the one I have a lot is while i'm in combat either PvE or PvP.
    my combat bar is just that and when I need a heal it seems to never come up.
    So when I tab out of combat (Z) my skills bar never comes up i'm standing there with my you know what in my you know where. It takes forever I will try to eventually try to tab to and fro most of the time it will eventually come up, but some times eh it's a no show....

Arianna, Sir_Hemlock and smack like this.
  8. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

1. "Fastest" graphics setting has graphical enhancements (namely, bloom) that I cannot disable ("/bloom 0" stopped working)

I typically run with Fastest because fluidity of the game is more important to me than eye-bleedingly-cool graphics. Please re-evaluate the settings for Fastest and give us _THE_ bare minimum for playability, instead of "all graphics options possible set at very low levels". If I want pretty, I'll bump up my graphics options accordingly while I'm standing still, for screenshots. I know that more granular controls are going to happen, eventually...just let me play barebones in the interim, ok?

2. Snap-to-grid for decoration rotation; lack of multi-axis rotation

As a heavy decorator, I want meticulous control over items and their placements. The current system causes me to encounter several instances where I need to hit the "zero" mark, and I spend a ton of time at the "+5/-5" mark trying to get the perfect alignment of an item in relation to other items, or getting within the target location so that the item turns green in the place where I want it. I haven't even looked at books as a decoration because most of them cannot be re-aligned to display vertically. I also think that additional decoration options could be opened if we could rotate items along multiple axes. Bottom line, we need a snap-to-grid function for the existing axis with 5 or 10-degree increments (smaller the better), and the ability to tap the Q or E keys for increments, versus holding down for general rotation.

3. Guild tags showing up in your own chat, but not for anyone else

I can't stress enough how annoying this is. I know the guild system is in its infancy, but this is a bit ridiculous. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but the title of this thread is "Top 10 Annoyances", and it's one of mine. I don't need to see my guild tag in the chat window, ever. I know which guild I'm in, and if I ever forget, I can go to the guild tab of the Social pane to remind myself.

4. #SotA IRC chat not being actively moderated except during community events (like dev hangouts)

Without spending a lot of time going into detail, we need more moderators in IRC who are willing to kick and ban people who are producing a negative impact. I rarely stay in #SotA during non-event times because at any given time, someone is either engaging in an ideological attack, or picking something to pieces for the sake of argument, rather than understanding. The quickest solution would be to schedule the existing IRC forum moderators (non-Portalarium employees) to be available in IRC for the purposes of keeping the discussions from getting grisly and ugly.

5. Handheld items being held awkwardly when sitting

Torches, mugs, spyglasses, coconuts, etc. They start off fine when standing, or when equipped after sitting, but they go sideways after a while. (equip a Mug of Mead while sitting, then wait five minutes...you'll curl the mug around your hand and halfway up your arm)

6. "My invisible friend"

When standing, viewed players' left arms will crook out as if they're presenting an invisible friend to you (or, possibly, holding an invisible and non-equipped torch).

7. "My nostrils don't work"

When sitting, my character's mouth is slightly agape, as if waiting to reply to someone, or simply suffering from nasal congestion. I'd rather keep my mouth closed when I'm not performing chat animations.

8. "What a lovely fireplace...but...where's the fire?"

The "Wood & Plaster 2-Story with Balcony Village Home (digital) " has a fireplace, but no fire, and you cannot place any items in the fireplace area, save for ham-handing a Lord British birthday cake half-clipped into the space. Feel free to drop by my house in Kingsport (3rd on the right after zone-in from the overlap), and see for yourself.

In contrast, the Town variant of this house (which as since been removed from the Add-On store, but not before I picked it up) has a fireplace, but...

9. "What is this...a balcony for ants??"

The "Wood & Plaster 2-Story with Balcony Town Home (digital)" has a very narrow balcony, and you can only fit one or two benches in the space, due to the open shutters blocking bounding boxes. Giving this house the same sized balcony as the village lot variant would do wonders.

10. UO players who expect this game to be a direct translation of the UO game experience

This game is not going to be "just like UO", "more like UO", or "what I want brought over from UO". Period. The End.

What this game _is_ going to be is a new community gaming experience SIMILAR to what was found in UO, except made more accessible to even more playing styles, rather than shoehorning everyone into a dog-eat-dog world where you can be a crafter or casual role-player...but you have to watch your back at all times or you're screwed. There will never be "full loot, always-on open PVP". Ever. If UO gives you what you want, stay there.

Lord Beli, smack, Lord Lonn and 2 others like this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

most of mine should probably have a (yet) at the end of them, i'm sure. but still needs to be said. besides, this is more of a wish list than just an annoyance list.

1. guild leadership needs control over guild management - not EVERY system needs to be full sandbox *cringe*
    2. can't lock placed decorations, so they don't move around when changing your camera angle.
    3. can't place certain items (silver candlestick!?) on the ground.
    4. can't place items on chairs and stools.
    5. Chaos Spoon should be able to be "Stuck" on anything... even walls. Just think, put it on a chair. toon tries to sit and just stands back up.
    6. there's no gothic benches, shelves, wall shelves, stools.
    7. no unity 5 support.
    8. walking away from NPC with conversation tab still open, leads the NPC to you. Big problem with the Skill Trainers.
    9. i'm hoping brewing will have its own seperate crafting station - and not use the cooking station. Maybe keg/still and pony kegs that are "aging"
    10. whatever you choose for the combat/deck system, please keep a version of the deck system currently in place as an option. options are a good thing, allowing the gamer to play how they wish to play, not forcing them into a mode of thought/combat style/etc.

smack and Lord Lonn like this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I strongly support most of these, esp. #2, #3, #4, #7, #8 and #9... #1 is moot for me, and #10 we cannot change anyway!

JazIronfist likes this.
  11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

1. No apostrophes allowed for character names.
    2. No jump on spacebar press. Only jump on release.
    3. No default run while looking with left mouse click.
    4. How most hexs have a generic entrance/exit of stone to walk through.

thats it.

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Right?? Wth happened to that?

13. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

0) No love for magic. And the mobs know when you are the only mage in the group *mampf*
    1) Not Stacking items in list inventory. You buy a stack (e.g. chess figures) and it got listed separately in your list inventory.
    2) Not tradeable filled containers.
    3) Trading of stacks(mostly deco) on the lot is different from of the lot. If you mark several items you can also move stacks.
    4) Grab items of the lot when you want to pick something from the inventory list.
    5) Sorting of stacked items goes after the first digit not after the total 9 stays behind 21.
    6) Speaking emote interupts all other emotes like sitting.
    7) buckets for wrong recipes, that can't be sold.
    8) only 16 containers per trade allowed or else they disappear somewhere till next zoning. ( warning would be nice)
    9) No timestamp in chat for the last 5 sentence. You never know if someone whispered you 2 seconds ago or 10min.
    10) respawn of creatures to fast.
    11) Pine and Maple look the same.
    12) More wood, ore and cotton per node with the new recipes.
    13) Want to fill trunks as container on the lot, don't want to pick them up to fill them or take items. And they shouldn't play shuffle on the lot.
    14) Guildnames to short ( 'New Britannia's Builders of Bemusing Bewilderments' is not too long)
    15) Remember the chat options after logging of.
    16) please no warning for each of the last 25% items till item limit. (175 warnings for town lot, I see red)
    17) no town wide light limit, so some lots can't place lights because the others are all on the limit.

14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

from what i could tell, jack, these two kind of go hand in hand. if you zone into a place holding an item like a mug of ale, or the horn, you may see the mug being held properly, but other people do not - because you zoned in after they equipped avatars when they zoned in before you.

tested this with Kazyn Phoenixfyre - its why he has Bill the invisible friend all the time, while in town. at least Bill gets paid!

lol agree agree agree. i love how everyone compares this to UO.. yes, this game is created by a FANTASTIC group of individuals who were a part of every ultima release (well..8 and 9 didn't happen, ok?) that was worthy of the title. but that doesn't mean it IS that game with better graphics. its the NEXT in the series, and it is its own standalone bag of awesome, all jumbled together. if we think of it that way, it has a better chance to reach its potential that hopefully we all want to be a part of.

JazIronfist and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  15. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well I cant say ten things since most of you all have already said it But I do have one that I have been trying to get in every since we could start decorating.

Toggle mode on/off for decorating.

one other thing which I seen others post about is the chat interface.
    Dont like I can not copy and paste from the chat window.

Arianna, JazIronfist, smack and 2 others like this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

1. No word on companions.
    2. No word on single player economy.
    3. Monster respawns!
    4. No word about quests being only given through dialogs or through events, too.
    5. Magic system feels like an online-shooter and is nothing special.
    6. No word on how believable the world will be - monsters and NPC with a reason to be in the world and in areas.
    7. Player houses ruining the atmosphere with strange decorations.
    8. Passive combat system with too many skills - I would prefer an active combat system.
    9. Level system with freely distributable skillpoints instead of skills getting better by using them.
    10. No double click to take loot in bag mode.

17. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Well now this saddens me to admit it. However, yes I have a number of them. Are they in order? No. Except maybe #1 .... Many of these may just be a "yet" (I know, I know my #1 is =/)

Conversations and Sounds:

#12 - NPCs steal your chat - gobble it right up and spit it out. You can be carrying on a conversation (for example FireLotus Tavern and Braemar are two very bad spots). Trying to talk to others or of course trying to yell out a greeting as a whole and the nearest NPC (even the darn cat scout in braemar!) steals your focus, your camera goes ZOOMING way over to them, and your words get eatten. You move, it stays the same. And before anyone mentions (it was happening from SPO to MPO when you would /zone) - nope it was happening far more then that - (This was being done in Braemar but I had to quit since I could not talk to anyone and it really upset me to a point i *Had* to *kill* something! repeatedly!)

#11 - When you talk it over rides *all* other emotes. This makes various RP things (like the sermons) or non-RP like the parties.. very difficult when they just full stop.

#10 - All Music has the same volume slider - you turn on the Aether Amplifier to turn on the music or hear a show up goes the game music. You can not have one without the other (this may be a yet thing still there it is)

Decorating and Housing

#9 - One direction rotation of decoration. - We can spin things in circles, yay... I like haphazard and sideways, rotation to turn things upside down would be great.
    - Books anyone? -- they all except 1 lay down - good example of what I am referring to.

#8 - Stacking of Items. - Some items can be stacked, some can not - Please stack all the things!

#7 - Please let us lock down all the things! Nothing like going through a sermon, accidentally grabbing a bench and kicking everyone off their seat ~coughs~ Yea that was me last Saturday :p

#6 - Grid, Grid, Snap to - Whether this be an actual snap to grid function, give grid lines, *or* a way to ctrl-click the end of one item with another to line it up in a perfect line. Something, anything.

Food:

#6 - Wine, Wine, Whine. - We have mead, we have ale, we have beer. Where are the wines? The Forum? Yes those are #5.5 ;)
    #5 - Pie! - That is all. (this does not need to be explained, most know *exactly* what I am referring to)

Resources for cooking are very difficult to find - resources for most crafting is hard to find - number far too low in the vendors to purchase from 10 at a time wait a period of time, while fighting over those 10 items with several people trying to do the same thing.

Inventory:

#4 - *not in list mode* - Items are *huge*. - I do understand the need to make them a decent size, but when the item is bigger then my Avatar this might be an issue.
    #4.5 - Unable to sort inventory and make it look nice due to the large size of items in item mode.

Combat:

#3 - Mages are still broke, Heavy Armor is still OP, still fail heal in full heavy armor.
    #2 - BANDAGES - wait.. there are none... and *that* is the problem. - We need an alternative way of healing. Some may not wish to invest in life magic, some may not wish to carry a million potions with them to be weighed down (when encumbrance hits) - Please please bandage!

#1 - Patience may not be a virtue yet I am also not a doctor. I am a priestess, I have no patience
    -- No Chaos Magick love at all! All other trees have had at least 1 spell or ability. Chaos de nada >.<

Unless you are a figher, PvE or PvP - there is not a whole lot to do.
    - Waiting to get off combat skill gain and get our craft skill gain love.

Biggest annoyance of the game to date -

Portalarium is busting their butt, putting family time aside often, not getting proper sleep, pushing far past normal working hours, heck even the insane go home before they do sometimes!!

They are putting out a product that no other game to date has been able to show at this stage in a *Pre-Alpha*. Not only a game but has indeed become home to many of us and they get so little appreciation.

My Number 1 Annoyance - Portalarium needs lots more love and appreciation words. Moderators, community staff, devs, the whole lot - A little appreciation for a job well done goes a long way.

Enjoying the game yet not saying anything such as "hey this is awesome" - does not help them know you are enjoying it.

Do not take for granted what we have been given.. in *any* of the formats it has been given...

Yea, it was asked. That is my biggest annoyance. Sorry and thanks!

18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

1. Though none of us have any control over this, the most irksome thing to me is the players who post complaints about this game with no frame of reference or understanding about how early it is in development.
    2. Though I know that guilds themselves are in their early stages, we really need the ability to have a multi-guild setup available to us rather than being forever locked in one guild.
    3. I agree completely with Jack Knyfe in every single way on the IRC moderation statement. There are a few who do nothing but serve to troll and they really put off new players coming in seeking help.
    4. Holding space for jump does not work with some keys - an example for me is I have shift set to jump instead of space, and holding the jump button does nothing but lock me in place and stop my movement.
    5. The challenge dungeon has a lot of particularly bad bugs that prevent it from being completed in about 1 in 5 run throughs.
    6. I am aware it will change, but i look forward to having more clothing and color options available in game. At the moment, its tough to stand apart from someone else. This applies particularly to females.
    7. I am going to agree with a prior comment that I do believe that there should at least be one more set of skills for noncombat skills and magic.
    8. The lack of ability to "turn off" decoration mode when in a lot is pretty rough. I know it's coming, but until it does it makes all kinds of fun things happen.
    9. This plays DIRECTLY into #8... IF you are dragging an item in your inventory right now and youre on your lot and your mouse also "Catches" a decoration as if its trying to move it... The item in your house is MOVED and the item you were dragging *IS LOST*, thats a rough bug. It can happen while trading, organizing inventory and crafting.
    10. I also must concur with the snap to grid decoration thing... this must happen =)

Arianna, smack, Bodhbh Dearg and 2 others like this.
  19. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Ha ha!
    1. Spiders that growl like dogs!
    2. SOTA gypsy camp (bazillion items on lots)
    3. 4 windmills and 10 lighthouses per town.
    4. Nearly all inside areas look drab ( Outside enviro's look great!)
    5. Ardorias framerate.
    6. Elf mage fireballs especially PvP summons.
    7. Getting too near to a electric tower and having my ears fried!
    8. Loading in and out of maps then loading again to go to overworld.
    9. No Nearest Target option button.
    10. No debauchery too PC!

smack likes this.
  20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Hear hear!!!

Hear hear!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.