1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Top 10 Priorities for Launch (September 2017 Edition)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Yet another reason I put my vendors inside. I like to be different. And I also sell a lot less because of it. But I don't care.

But to be on topic, I'm with the group that says crafted items need to be the best available in game. It gives crafters a reason to keep pushing to be the best. We need to expand it too. Not just for armor but other things. For instance, we can craft 10 rugs. That's it. But we can buy tons of others for ridiculous prices from the deco NPCs. We need to be able to craft all of those rugs.

Gregg247, Numa, Lord Ravnos and 9 others like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

YES. Now, if we can just get players to stop filling their front yards with tons of random crap like hillbillies. In a real city, most people would get cited and fined for that kind of thing. Now THAT would be immersive play.

I'd really like to just see a vendor marketplace in towns, where players can put their vendors. Actually, what I'd really like is no player vendors at all, but many more public vendors, which are themed by what they buy/sell. I don't really bother with players' vendors much, because it's a pain going up and down every street looking for vendors that sell what I want, and 90% of them just have each player's random list of junk they're selling. It'd be nice to just go to the market place and know that these four guys over here are all selling weapons, these three guys over there have crafting materials, et cetera. But I don't see that becoming a thing.

Anyway. I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Numa, Hornpipe, Alley Oop and 3 others like this.
  3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that thinks cities like Owl's Head look like flea markets.

Numa, curt, Hornpipe and 4 others like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Remember folks, release doesn't mean they will stop working on the game!
    It just means they are going to start trying to sell the game.

Also, count me as another to whom hitching is much more annoying than scene load times. I can (and did) get an SSD, and I can stay in a scene longer, but I can't avoid hitching. It almost feels like my brain is being yanked out of my head when hitching happens. But they are still both very important. If you think the Steam review trolls are bad now, just see what they're like when the game is released and it hitches and stutters all the time.

Yay! I've been having to hope that eventually there would be some let-up in the "pain" of things continually becoming harder as excessive loots were cut back, and new systems like elemental resistance making enemies harder to fight. But the "monty hauls" needed to be contained until balance could properly be done, and the new systems that made things more unbalanced against players were necessary to keep things under control. It seemed likely to me that eventually they would get tuned back to sanity, so I decided to wait and try to "git gud" until then.

At the very least, the eight towns/cities with lunar rifts need a little lunar rift on the overworld.

Make it something you have to ask the Oracle to do and I could go for it.

I've always thought it would be interesting if enemy AI had to use the focus. I know they have focus, it's just not shown now because it is always full. (But I understand multiple reasons why consumables like arrows and reagents would be harder to do.)

Because the details of crafting aren't worth spit if people won't play the game because of bad performance, especially the hitching. Just because it's your pet peeve doesn't mean that it's needs to be fixed right now. It's all about triage.

Right now I think the big problem with crafting is that the drop-onliy recipes are just too rare. But that's a tuning thing that they can do later.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs said they're worried about players "gaming" the AI if attacks had Focus... but I think if you just make it like players, where the main attack of a mob is like a "free attack", and then they have special attacks that use Focus, then its something that could work out okay.

Also, just as darkness should throw off aggro and provide stealth, so should physical cover. Though movement which produces sound would naturally draw some attention. But I still think in darkness, even where movement draws attention, hit accuracy should also be lowered.

I have a couple of more thoughts on this but I guess that would be worth a separate thread.

Its worth mentioning though that the mobs on the Overland need to abide by the same speed rules as players do.

Numa, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Elwyn like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Good job Kohai!

Three Eighty-Six likes this.
  7. Morph

Morph Avatar

The priority list seem really thought trough and it aim at some of the games most dire needs for attention. I must admit it seem like very hard work to accomplish if they want to stay true to their announcment of launch later this year.

But i have fate :)

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this is something jade valley does well, but i haven't noticed it anywhere else.

9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I didn't say it needed to be priority #1. Personally speaking, it should have been mentioned in the improved rewards cycle. It's so awful and remains such an integral part of the game progression that it deserves to be on this list.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Which is actually something Richard himself said he hated during one Telethon...

Numa, Mykll and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I campaigned for this option for years, making several detailed proposals that might have been implemented with little to no additional tech and was ultimately told "No" in no uncertain terms on asking if Central Markets were to be supported in game by DarkStarr... It is likely my mind coloring the memory, but I would have sworn he leaned into the camera to tell me No.

[​IMG]

12. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Yeah, the best crafted items should be the top tier to own. Vendors need to be wrangled otherwise it just looks insane. Maybe they can only be outside during certain hours? I'd like to see some animations for them like waving and beckoning people walking by to check out their stuff.

Numa likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So long as the don't Bark like UO Vendors did... My God that was annoying.

Numa and Mykll like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

U7 merchants also barked and that worked out fine ;) I don't know, I think it depends on how its managed and works practically in the game. I think its an issue where the devil is in the details.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

U7 didn't have a hundred of them in the same area all barking.

Elwyn, Mykll and K1000 like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, they shouldn't all be barking at the same time though in any case; just when you're in front of them. Thats the kind of thing I mean when I said I think the devil is in the details ;> Also the content of what they bark should be considered.

But barks could potentially be a way of letting passing players know whether a vendor item list is empty or has items to sell.

On the whole subject though, I wish the devs would encourage vendors being placed indoors...

Hornpipe likes this.
  17. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

One way they could do that for Rows is to have a house with large glass window panes, just like, I don't know, a storefront? :) and make it craftable please! (right now the only thing that comes close is $100!) Or allow for signs to extend past the lot into the air so you can have them visible from the streets easier... there's so many things they can/will/need/should do to make better the player run vendors... :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I hope that you include interesting and motivating loot for lower-level and casual players and don't just target the super-players who justifiably want to have good loot for being so super.

I stopped playing the game several months ago when you removed the halberd loot from Serpent Spine Foothills. As someone who can't even venture into places where I could find interesting things like artifacts, the halberds, though boring, were at least a good source of income.

Merlota, Kvow Triumvir and Chatele like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I like that. Like in bigger/older cities where street level is storefronts, and floors above that are apartments.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Row houses designed to be used as shops is something that has been suggested by players and recognized by the developers as a good idea innumerable times over the last 4 years... It will be done sometime. There have always been higher priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.