1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Top 10 Priorities for Launch (September 2017 Edition)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

But even if they become available, will anybody bother to change? My guess is every town will still look like it's one short step away from a wheel-less carriage on granite blocks in every front yard.

Mykll likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh I know it's easy to believe this is all there will be but if this game flourishes we will all be amazed at how much more will be added. Just looking back at some of my Sota pictures of my house from 2014 today compared to recent 2017 pics and wow the deco we have now compared to then is amazing. The game will continue to get more and more as we go forward after releasing such as mounts, treasure hunting, boating system, better and expanded fishing system, husbandry and on and on.

Rhiannon likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Row houses with larger shop windows would be nice, but technically you can set up a row house right now so you can see a vendor through the window as well as goods you're selling. People are still hesitant to do that, because a vendor standing out on the street just provides more convenient access.

So, no I don't think just a shop style home alone will cause a big shift in how players set up their vendors.

3devious, Hornpipe and Mykll like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Not for people who actually want to sell things.

Which means I'll encourage everyone to put their vendors inside. :D

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They could do that with one simple change: make it so that vendors can only be placed inside the house.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, your right, the easy fix is to make vendors only placeable indoors. Players would need to find other ways to bring customers into their shop.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You mean like spelling out "CHEAP RECALLS" in baguettes?

Elwyn and 3devious like this.
  8. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

How is Portalarium selling stuff not a priority? :p

9. Numa

Numa Avatar

If loot is to be better (which i think is an absolute must) then crafters need to be able to tweak at least some of the loot to enhance them. This will keep the promise that crafted stuff will always be superior. One example (though the only one) are tbe wooden shields which can be enchanted using gems - though these are store bought.

Artifacts are another story, maybe being able to break them diwn to extract usable components is a good compromise.

Spoon and Solazur like this.
  10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

But you didn't comment on allowing signs to extend past the lot wall... I'd much rather walk up and down the Brittany Alleys seeing/reading different shop signs and looking through windows than simply clicking on identical NPC after identical NPC... but I digress, that's an entirely different problem.

11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

In line with the loot drops, I am also of the belief that it is very weird someone wearing certain armour or using a specific weapon, never drops either. Usually ends up dropping some random garbage drop. If you see them wear and wield, that should be what they drop. And the damage they do should be in line with the quality of weapon that they use, and would then drop. The complete disconnect between what they use and what they drop, in both gear type and gear quality, has always bugged me in a game.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's already difficult to consistently sell stuff if you're not in one of a handful of locations or streets in the world. This would just make it worse.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, and I'm too libertarian to want vendors outside your house banned. Every heighborhood has that one guy with the junkyard on his lawn. Unfortunately they've all decided to play SotA.

I just wish that central vendor markets hadn't been shot down by the devs. That seems a better solution for everyone. Less awful looking, more immersive, easier than going door-to-door to find specific items.

Solazur likes this.
  14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

There's a SUPER easy fix for that: make vendors an indoor decoration item @Chris @Lord British @DarkStarr

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

1. Not everyone wants people walking into their homes.
    2. This would make shopping... Wandering from Vendor to Vendor, endlessly clicking on them in the vain hope that at long last THIS vendor unlike all the previous will actually be Stocked, and Have what you're Looking For available for sale at a reasonable price... EVEN MORE TEDIOUS.
    @Chris @Lord British @DarkStarr

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey guys...

I don't really support the solution of forcing vendors indoors; its a bit draconian. However, you're also pretty well describing how the game encourages people to put vendors outdoors. Vendor-hopping in general isn't a great experience unless you're in the mood for it.

I was hoping for a more functional in game bulletin board system where we could advertise our shops on town boards like we would a public vendor, then our shop names could be looked up on a town crier, as well as a variety of other in-game functions like an easier method to request items to be made for you. One advantage of people relying on outdoor signs though because of vendors being indoors is that it also encourages specialization and it means less "junk vendors" with bits of this and that which players want to get rid of, and sometimes nothing.

But maybe this whole topic deserves its own thread? Not sure the discussion should be continued here...

17. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+1 to Increase number of Areas where People are having Fun.

3devious, Kvow Triumvir and majoria70 like this.
  18. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I understand your point. I was giving a solution to something Lord British also sees as a problem. Plus my shops ARE my home (I live above the shop and lock the doors to my private rooms).

Not sure what the solution is really. Someone suggested posting vendors on bulletin boards but even then, you could end up searching empty vendors. Maybe at some point, Chris can help us cull vendor data and it could be searchable like they had for UO.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  19. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

How far will they let the game go down the path of culling data? Will they let people to begin with? Will someone create a website that everyone will gravitate to? Will it turn into another SotaMaps that they integrate it into the game?

20. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Very pleased to read a lot of what is on this list, and thankful to hear that you, @DarkStarr, said that this is not a comprehensive list that covers all that the team has in mind (essentially, you are aware of other issues, too).

Fantastic job, Port. You should be proud of yourself. I was seriously surprised by your honest evaluation of many of the mechanics in the game - especially load times and scene changes.

Color me hopeful! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.