Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Top 11 Annoyances (as of R15)

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by smack, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok in no particular order.

1. Double death penalty on transition
    2. Performance, particularly in Owl's Head & Ardoris
    3. Load Times
    4. Slow walking on the map despite being on/near a road
    5. Repair kits only repairing 10 pts
    6. Day/Night Cycle & instant transition between the two
    7. Funky lighting issues
    8. Weapon degradation is way too fast despite having skill to slow it down.
    9. Grunvald shardfall is disproportionately monstrously huge on the overworld map. (sorry Abe, but it's just way too big)
    10. XP levels.. 1000 & 1800 XP kills as low as level 20ish.. why are the numbers so high? A year into launch will we be killing stuff for 100,000 XP?
    11. Single denomination currency and high numbers. Similar to the XP issue.

amaasing, Lord Lonn, lollie and 6 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

random encounter example
    sui generis combat ect

Ok here goes for me:

1 Harvesting a node like 4 times and it saying 48.82 percent chance, maybe I'll take a nap in between ZZZzzzzZz (and I've added points too) I thought it was sped up for a while, it has changed back. I don't
    really like the way we harvest anyway. I want to chip away at a real 'ore' looking piece of ore and hear the sound of it and watch the ore chipping happen, have some experience in the action.
    I'm not sure how exactly this would be but I'm sure we'll see more later though.

2 Cave Wrasse - I do not especially appreciate these creatures, they are silly looking and moving, their animations are off, they don't really walk but are just moved/propelled along, they don't drop loot,
    they are just an annoyance with nothing interesting about them (lol a bit of a rant there) ;)

3 Too Small Doorways in busy areas/shops like the blacksmith shop in Owlshead, it's easy to get stuck talking to him and shouldn't he be outside anyway, working away;)

4 Sounds - I hope to never hear another barking wolf again or the strange growling of most creatures, come on scare us a bit *shivers*, I know it's in the works, but annoying right now......YES it is. Also I can't wait for combat sounds to match movements and much more.
    Newly added emote sounds - I do like the female laugh sound and the cry is cute, please keep these.

5 Map exploration and getting slowed and lack of exploration - Now since we have the map which is getting more gorgeous all the time, let us enjoy it. I want to explore it, I want movement on the map to drastically speed up. It feels like a punishment, it should be fun
    since so much work is being put into it. It can be a great opportunity to give us something that was missing with not having land travel. We need to capitalize on that to make up for that, make it more free feeling. People want to explore the countryside and in this case mapside.;)
    We want to climb those mountains, get in that water:) Well of course if it is possible that is, that is always a thought. I can dream, but can it be done? ;)

6 Chat/Conversation window - I really don't care for it, when talking to an npc the text is still over in the chat box mixed in with all the other noise around you. I think I would like it separated to make it more important, and perhaps NPC chat could look a bit different, different color
    or something, well perhaps it is already but it doesn't look different enough. The chat definitely needs work, it should be fun and interesting, not a chore to sift through it because really without voices which I love, we have to have something special and we are not there yet.

7 Bags - I am nostalic for the bag system, the functions for using a bag make them barely usable. I thought I would get all organized and make some bags and put reagents in one, tools in another and be able to put them in my chest in my house as needed to help with
    encumberance and you know what, I couldn't. After all that effort I could not do it, the functionality is not there on the bags. I wanted to be able to set my bag on a table and I could not. Hopefully we will get many options with bag organizations and yes auto stacking
    would be great or at least stacking should be easier.;)

8 Combat - I am a big fan of how the combat looks in Sui Generis link above since it wouldn't paste here;), but beside the point and I do know much more is coming but for now the annoyance is.....I use a 2 handed axe and the animations are that my axe goes through the victim and does not connect. I don't have the sense that I am truly hitting the victim. I know sound will help but the animations are still off to have it feel really satisfying and fun at this point. Looking forward to the future improvements on this.

9 Random encounters - well these are not very random at all as they are, to be a bit harsh some may name them "too often and annoying encounters", but not me of course ;) I know there are really good plans for these and I am excited to see those plans, but for right now as they stand give us
    an opt out option, or a very less frequent occurance of these encounters and that is unless the data from having them stop us every step or two is for a reason. Could it be 'payback for all the 'annoying, unconstructive posts that have been made', well ok I see how you are, lol well just joking there
    of course. I found an example of a game with random encounters, it's kinda silly but I think it makes a point to pose as an example. Of talking it out or killing the guy for choices to go along with the virtue system that we have, and do you still get the reward if the guy is killed?

10 I want to dance but not jig, Daning#3 is great tho so funny - I'd love more graceful dances, I'd love some slow dances preferably couple dancing, and the conga line mentioned later in this thread and in the thread by Moiseyev Trueden sounds very wonderful.

11 When decorating your house- acidentally picking up items as you walk through your house, sometimes having to relog because the items gets lost. I would like to see items either lock down by a command or automatically locked when placed until you say unlock or hit a key. Perhaps it would be a pain but better than accidentally messing up the hard work it took placing items in a particular way.

edited spelling again sheesh ;) edited again to add I don't care for the type dancing we have that much
    except for dancing #3 which is hysterical;)

edited to add #11, lol finally I thought of 1 more ;)

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I posted my list already, but something I didn't really have to deal with before.

12. Maps being 1 pound each.

Lord Lonn, Tahru, smack and 2 others like this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Why are pesky land fish and kobolds in our dragon cave! ;)
    Is there a cave wrasse egg omlette recipe?
    Can I recreate the aliens movie on my lot by being able to decorate with these eggs?

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That reminds me.. disproportionate material use in recipes!

lollie, amaasing, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Yeah... that's numbers 2-11 for me
    The rest I can actually deal with as long as I am not making a bow out of a mizzen mast....

Ice Queen, Vyrin, Tahru and 4 others like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I haven't posted my Top 1-10 yet, but here's number 11.

11. People who can't stick to Top 10 11 lists :p

Keep it up folks, these are really great to read and I do share quite a few of these annoyances as well. Knowing I'm not the only one suffering with these helps ease the pain. Or maybe I just like to see other people suffering with me. :D

Somewhere very close, the laugh that wasn't laughter.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

1. Camera on overland map won't let me look up. I feel like I am getting a haircut and being forced to look at the floor.

Lady Cathan, amaasing, Lained and 5 others like this.
  9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I wrote 10 things some are complaints and some are suggestions. Overall I'm very inpressed - but obviously there's always room for improvement!

1. Using UI to zone home but exiting my town always brings me to the spot I zoned from.

2. If I can pick it up - let me put it down! Even if only on my lot. I can pick up weapons, armor, named books, etc. but I can't put them down on my lot unless it specifically falls under the housing tab. You should be able to place anything with a graphic in game.

3. Rotation on the z access please! Please!

4. Great zone - now why is it here? Maybe I'm just trained this way because of all the games I've played with loot. But it would be cool if every zone that has an end to the zone or some kind of major monster has something there. The obsidian tower was cool - but I explored it, cleared the castle and killed the lich - the first time I was there I was at least able to find the tour guide. All i found was that the earlier monsters I killed had respawned. I just get sort of disappointed when I have fully explored a cave and killed everything and it doesn't have anything unique to it. It was fun to explore but It'd be nice if there was something unique to the area. A book with a story in it, an interesting possession, a decoration, a small xp reward, a person who needed rescuing, something. I like my carrots! There weren't many areas in any Ultima games that had nothing but some monsters ready to kill you.

5. Would love more assets related to decor. Just being able to put down all the items would be a great start - I could have that armory I'd been planning on. It was getting too expensive to hire people to stand there in the set of armor and weapons I wanted displayed :p

6. Stack for the love of cheese auto stack my inventory!!!

7. And while you're at it give the 12 paintings a name other than painting. Even if it's Painting A, Painting B, etc. and for all other objects too.

8. Keyring! Not yet, but sometime would be nice. Map book?

9. Webpage. The webpage needs to have some more information and sales pitches on it about the various aspects of the game that new players might be interested in. Probably a good start is to look at each deep dive and make it a section you can access. The housing page is cool and should be finished.

10. There have been multiple threads about stretch goals. What's the plan there?

11. Movement on the overland map. Egads it is slow. So slow. And how cool would it be if we could zoom out and see the world like a map. Zoom back in to walk again. Where's that map of Novia in-game....

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I have a few more to add: :)
    12. Dungeons/cities/scenes are extremely tiny and should be more vast.
    13. The world is so small it's artificially made to feel bigger by blocking you off with rocks/trees/walking slow etc. to sort of make you feel the world is bigger, it's not and this does not work. Where's the exploration?
    14. Dungeons are small and instanced to where you will never see other players other than the people in your party. I'd love to go into a huge dungeon with many layers of depths and gets more difficult the further you go in much like UO, and see other players along the way.

Thoragon, Aenra, lollie and 7 others like this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This sounds important - can you explain what is meant by it? Thanks!

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

1 - Random Encounters
    Sorry these are truly pointless and more akin to single player games/modes. I get dragged into an encounter, put up with the loading delay only to then walk straight back out again. They also occur far too frequently....not interesting and certainly not fun. ​

2 - Slow Walking on Map
    Double whammy...... Slow Speed + Encounter = Rage Log. I want the map to feel fluid and I want exploring to be fun, as things stand it is just frustrating and is a reason not to explore.​

3 - Potions
    Feel pointless, I struggle to see why anyone would want to take up valuable locked glyph space by adding these or wasting valuable deck space. Would be much better if consumables operated within their own deck, or even better could be used without being tied to a deck.​

4 - Movement Rotation "Q" & "E"
    So Sloooooooooooooooooooow, please please please give an option to increase the turning speed. Some player don't like using the mouse for turning, fixing this will also assist in players being able to manage their combat bars whilst fighting.​

5 - Combat Combos
    They all feel pointless and useless. The damage is poor and more difficult to stack.​

6 - Pause Movement With "Ctrl"
    "Ctrl" tends to by the default key for Ventrilo/Teamspeak etc, as things stand if you press "Ctrl" then your character will pause. Really really frustrating.​

7 - Crafting Multiple Items
    Crafting can be fun, it can also be frustrating constantly clicking the equivalent to 'repeat'. Please add a 'Craft 'X' Amount" option.​

8 - Crafting Resources Lag
    Add items to the table, wait for them slowly to turn white before being able to craft. Nightmare.​

9 - Crafting Tables Breaking
    After spending a while crafting the same items (eg thread), add the items to the table, wait patiently for them to turn white......realise that the "Craft" button wont light up. Log out, Log in.....resume crafting. Painful.​

10 - Death Penalty
    That weird bug where you zone to a location or exit a scene and you appear with 0 health and broken armour. Very annoying especially as the armour costs a fortune to repair.​

There are many other things that annoy me......but I would say that these are currently the most frustrating aspects.

13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Right now decorations can be rotated clockwise and counter clockwise on the horizontal axis. But if you have a book lying down you cannot stack it upright.

14. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

1. Journal log, or Quest log. ATM totally confusing. It cannot be possible that completed Quest stay there with the uncompleted ones.

15. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

1. Poor graphics performance, it went the wrong direction in R15. Willing to lose some release features for improving this, particularly in OH and Ardoris. (I discovered that if you 'stare at the ground' it appears to improve performance in such scenes - apparently it's smart enough to ignore geometry that's just going to be clipped out). Even combat is sluggish in this release.

2. Loading times, particularly on large scenes.

3. Sudden freezes in animation, perhaps due to incremental loads, or maybe to working out interactions with other characters / NPCs.

4. Lame bug that jumps you to last 'normally' entered scene when you exit home scene after zoning there. I've figured out how to exploit it, but it's still annoyingly unrealistic.

5. Repetitious scene layout and geometries. I have an excellent place memory, and the 'deja vu' is everywhere. But it does help in tracking down resource nodes...

6. Annoying 'off by one' error in harvesting that has you getting the goods from the last node on the current one. Seems to be increasing in frequency.

7. Ridiculously high focus burn when going 'pure caster' versus melee. I can kick butt on liches and big spiders in melee mode, but burn through half the focus knocking down just a few low level mobs in caster mode.

8. Bugged crafting recipes that prevent exploring some of the possible combinations of materials, or get you something useless instead of what you expected.

9. Public vendors clogged with non-crafted items, or items at ridiculous inflated prices that will keep the vendor unusable until they expire (O.H. in particular)

10. No way to harvest some crafting materials that logically should be available in-game. And where's the "elusive mandrake root" go off to?

Ice Queen, amaasing, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

This is #1 to #11 on my list! It's horrible how a modern game can have this poor loading times.

17. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

1. Loading times (when I zone, I usually just have to step away from the computer and go do something else for a while)

2. Right now, it really feels like the only reason to fight a monster is for exp/resources. If you don't want to fight, you can always just run by. I have finished all of the hat quests thus far without leveling once. Monsters seem completely divorced from the questing/exploration aspect of the game because they're just a minor nuisance to run by, never a challenge to overcome. Why can't they slow or stun me? Why aren't any faster than me?

3. Combat is boring. I want to see more strategy in this, not just increase dps as much as possible and get the defensive passives. I want cool ways to dodge/counter/disable. More slows, stuns, silences, short-range teleport/tumble, etc.

4. Performance. On my machine (admittedly a bit old), I get <5fps in Ardoris in single-player online mode. I've stopped even trying to play multiplayer because the big cities (Owl's Head and Ardoris) are just unplayable.

5. Random encounters. My problem with these is really just a combination of 1&2 above - it takes so long to load, and then I just run to the nearest exit anyways, so what's the point?

6. Every area (out in the wild) is the same. Again, related to 2, but every area just feels like the same old thing with monsters with different skins sprinkled through. Monsters/aggressive wildlife seem way too common. The areas just feel like crappy arenas to fight stuff in, there's no life to it, they don't feel realistic. It isn't like in UO where you could wander through the forest and see occasional woodland creatures and it was super rare to find something aggressive unless you stumbled into a special area. It made coming across that random orc out in the woods interesting and something worth investigating.

EDIT:
    7. The overland map - when I'm on the road, I am sometimes slow as if walking through a woods, making me suspect the underlying structure of the map is different than the graphical display I see. It's hard to tell sometimes what terrain is passable.

amaasing, Dewderonomy, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I guess you've never played Star Wars Old Republic, talk about load times and I sitll love that game.;) It's release date was 2011 so I guess that's pretty modern, uses something called the 'hero engine', cost 150-200 mil to make and has truly l-o-n-g load times. But I do hear you, I can'wait for load times to improve on Shrouds which they will, but they probably won't on Star wars old republic.;)

Ice Queen and smack like this.
  19. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I played Star Wars Old Republic some but never got loading times over 2 minutes as I get in Olws Head if I try to enter multilayer on-line, SPO reduces the times some.

20. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Emphasis here please. The rest? A mere matter of time.

Am the greenest of the green in regards to SotA, but quite the old hand in the genre..when first reading "persistent" and "Unity" in the same sentence....?...?
    Suffice it to say that had it not been for Richard Gariott i'd never even have backed this. Just on the "merit" of the engine alone :)
    Current development stage being where it is, i find me willing to hope that the above issues will be ameliorated come launch time. Right?

Artificially barriered worlds, especially small worlds at that, just do not mix well with MMORPGs. Not true MMORPGs in any case.

Edit: neither do large universes that fail to take advantage of space and geographical layout due to being packed-packed-packed to death by mobs upon mobs. In quite the inverse way, the result is exactly the same.

Jocularis, Dewderonomy and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.