1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Top 50 skills in R14

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I put together a large spread sheet of skills and spells by use. I've been discussing the the list a bit with the dev plus guy but wanted to share the top 50 with everyone! These are the use counts from a 12 hour window from earlier this week and not representative of the whole last month but should be fairly representative of usage as a whole.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19ZSrg5nys_uy98iMv-J0w8xwR8SgeblUs7hcV3kUlh8/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy and feel free to make comments in the spread sheet!

A Ghost, AvatarGG, Lord Lonn and 7 others like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Thanks for the information. That will be great debate material.

A Ghost and Pedro Luis like this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

surprised that Shield of Crystal is so low on that list. People must not know of its amazing powers.

redfish and Tahru like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think the numbers necessarily reflect how useful a skill is. They reflect a lot of things also.

* How available a skill is. As a blades fighter, I use Double Slash and Thrust all the time, just because they're available to me all the time.

* How many times it needs to be used. Some skills don't need to be used against lower level opponents; generally this means defensive skills or support skills. As a light armor fighter, I only use Tumble and defensive skills like Deflect and Dodge when they give me a meaningful advantage; often times they don't. Some skills also need to be used less times -- for example, Defensive Stance has a long cooldown, and I don't always re-power it right away. I only use it again when the cooldown timer is close to finished.

* How willing people have been to actually try a skill, or find combat strategies with it. The actual skill use is not always on par with its usefulness.

I hope the dev team takes this all into consideration, and don't let usage metrics determine the course of development.

EMPstrike, A Ghost, Brandon3 and 8 others like this.
  5. Damian Killingsworth

I would like to see that data sorted by cast time/cool down time/focus cost. That would be more telling

Chatele and Tahru like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

That would be one more data point, though there would be a lot of other factors, too; some of which they probably couldn't measure.

But for instance, some they probably could measure...

* Cast time
    * Cooldown time
    * Focus cost
    * DPS dealt
    * Skill tier
    * Use per point invested in skill
    * Level of creature fought against
    * Use by people who actually invested in the skill

In all, I think the analysis needs to be a bit deeper than numeric metrics.

Tahru and Destroying Angel like this.
  7. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Are you sure this is Fire?

Blunt 3 KnockDown 2284 1.47% Fire 15.56%

8. Net

Net Avatar

LAst time I used it, it temporarily increased my max health. What is the amazing power?

9. Damian Killingsworth

it usually heals most of my life as well

10. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Do not know how many more this may effect but.

Polearms is way down in the % usage. Since the Halberd Mold is not available and the Spear Mold can be made but neither can be attached to a pole to complete the weapon and there were no Polearms in this release that could be made by a crafter and that is what many were testing, the numbers become totally skewed for weapons as a whole. Many Polearms users switched to Blades and Bludgeons because these weapons could be crafted with the additional properties. Four of us who used polearms in the last Release, I was the only one who continued to use them in this Release.

Logain likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In my limited time PVPing in R14, I noticed many of the people I encountered using polearms.

Polearms, btw, are stupidly OP.

I don't know why the PVE crowd wouldn't use them, but it's still a very common thing to see people in PVP running around casting spells in leather and chain mix while using a polearm.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Good example is lightning, hardly anybody uses it bit look at this lol

[​IMG]
    and it stuns! and its instant!

Gaelis, Tahru and Net like this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

I am not that lucky usually though:) And it costs me 60 gold per cast, I never get that much from spiders.
    And why bother with three lightnings when I can kill them with two dots? :)

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

i don't actually use reagents, i just put up with the 25% fiz chance.. it never crits when i cast it on you anyway for NO reason >.<

Gaelis, Tahru, Logain and 1 other person like this.
  15. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

offhand attack spam with just about anything (anything typically being off hand founders) works well with swords, maces, etc. the problem is kind of simple in that regard, since really, your choices become -.02 resist with bludgeon, or double strike, honestly its pretty close, but on point with focus not casting anything on offhand, those 5/5 points of it, are beefy.

pole arms only give the +def so technically you could offhand 1 founders ,and use a battle spear for +5 def, as well,

Tahru likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My problem with the polearm is not the damage, it's the reach. If you pvp it looks you're well out of range of anyone with a polearm, but they end up hitting you even though you're 50 feet away. I have ranged spells that can't even hit that far away.

Latency is what causes this, but the extra reach of the polearm exponentially expands the issue. See here for an example in a past build:

The polearm also "hooks" you and pulls you towards them, which technically would make you inside of their "minimum range" making the polearm ineffective. So it's like, make up your mind, is the polearm OP inside it's own range or 50 feet away. There's really no rhyme or reason to its over poweredness.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

I see that now. I have heard of it and tested it, but it only increased my max health without healing. It seems to heal you only if you are wounded. But the heal is crazy OP, seems that 3 attackers vs one person healing with it have same dps vs. hps. Quite crazy.

Tahru, Destroying Angel and Logain like this.
  18. Damian Killingsworth

I participated in the Grid-Iron and I realized as of right now in R14 PvP is crystal shield then spam death. oh well, whole new story in a couple of days.

Tahru and Jakdaw Foxlauden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.