Topic...Cannibals ....where would they be or who would they be?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by EmperorBorg, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

What? No player names on harvested body parts?! Then what's the point I ask you... Death magic reagents (BO-ring)? Meh, disappointing.

Harmony2 likes this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well there you go with the magic words, "how the game deals with it". I know you bowen, and I really despite how I sound against you in this thread, respect you. But you are letting your personal feelings, and the assumption of other people to draw a premise. I posted earlier about the hobbit and the cannibalism scene. Did that movie bomb? Robinson Caruso was a very famous book and movie, I suppose no one read it or heard of it. People like things that take them just a little bit out of normal, out of their comfort zone. People like a little risk, a little danger, a little evil if I may. Many people do not game to be the virtuous law abiding citizen they have to conform to in their real life. You might not like this, but you and one other person in one post does not like this. There has been many more posts for it or at least tolerant of it. I don't think that your idea of the violent bloodshed of it all carries weight because it does not. The corpse trophies will be in your face much more than any cannibalism thing.

Harmony2 likes this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

from my discussions with richard, the human meat might not have a name, body parts in general might have the names, so do not lose faith just yet!

Harmony2 and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Considering how I've been one to offer up ideas on how to actually implement cannibalism despite not wanting it myself.. I fail to see how my personal feelings are a factor here. What assumptions I might have about other people are based on the many responses from other people here in the forum who don't want to see it in-game and it's been a lot more than just me and 'one other person in one post'. I think that comment does a disservice here. There have been quite a few people in quite a few posts over the last 2 years.

Other media isn't really a fair comparison. In the Hobbit for example.. The trolls weren't trying to eat the audience. It's quite a different story when the person it's happening to is YOU. Not seeing it happen is irrelevant when you know that it is. In movies and books there's a certain detachment. You're not so emotionally invested in the characters as you are a character you play yourself. Color me silly but it's just not something I want part of my character's history.

Hey, weren't we going to NOT get into a big circular argument?

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

here we are again, :D You are presenting great strawmen arguments! When I call you out an other people, I am talking about this thread. You and one other person has talked negativly. You have more posts than anyone here reiterating your position lol. Should you not be more concerned about your head displayed on a pike than some random meat in a pie? What is more offensive to you? You wont even know its your meat in cannibalism, but maybe i will have 1 or 2 or 10 Bowens heads on a pike.

Harmony2, Sir_Hemlock and mikeaw1101 like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You are the one who brought up "many other posts" in the same breath as me and "one other person". As you point out this topic is not limited by just this post so how can you ignore everyone's who's spoken up in the others or who have supported those who have? So you want to only look at this thread.. I count 5 different people liking my posts not including you or anyone who's expressed being in favor of cannibalism. Just because someone doesn't come in here and say anything doesn't mean they don't have an opinion.

Yeah I have a lot of posts reiterating my position as for some strange reason it seems necessary as people seem to want to focus on me personally not wanting to deal with cannibals rather than my attempts to find reasonable ways to actually give them what they want without imposing it on others.

And you won't mind if I ask you to explain which arguments are strawmen and exactly how that is?

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

This conversation is most delicious, omnomnomnomnom

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Bowen, sorry but all I get from reading your posts is: "bring out the dead, its time to FEAST" lol

Harmony2 likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Lol just for fun I put Bowen on ignore and reread this thread, its much more enjoyable although I look like a blathering idiot talking to myself :p (I took him off ignore after the test :D)
    But seriously I dont understand how anyone could think "human meat" is more offensive than, "Ravicus's Severed Arm", or "Sir_Hemlock's Removed Brains". That is all the sum of cannibalism in game and cooking with "human meat". People will be decorating houses with heads, arms, livers, torso's, legs in piles in their yards, but it would be bad to have a pie on a vendor that if you toggled over it it would say "human pie" or something.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you're not going to back up your accusations then please don't make them.

And at what point did I ever make an argument that carving up body parts wasn't as bad as cannibalism such that it's now somehow a valid argument that one is less than the other? I'm not getting the connection there. Unless I missed something no one has said "yeah well décor with body parts is ok but cannibalism isn't".

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I was not specifically talking about you, other than the ignore part :), and that was just an attempt at levity. The other part is people objecting in general. If you notice I said "anyone" and not your name specifically. I didnt even quote you :p My point might be that people (in general) are blowing up the argument against cannibalism when there are things that are much more in your face violent and gore filled than cannibalism.

Harmony2 likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There is different levels to what people want from it also.. Ravicus wants to eat people, Dinsoo wants to eat everything (including people), Doxa wants an apocalypse now style ear necklace and i just want the heads of people that annoy me on my front porch.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I can't say I can recall anyone showing that double standard in previous discussions but whatever.

Quiet a few people who've been against cannibalism that have bothered to comment also said they'd be fine so long as they didn't have to deal with it, but most of the early discussions pretty much involved non-consensual cannibalism.. one person even went so far so to propose a system whereby even PvErs were at risk. You just don't see a lot of folks in favor of it taking other views into consideration. It's a lot like the hardcore PvPers who want full loot open PvP and anyone who disagrees is a non to be named childish stuffed toy for toddlers. (Speaking in broad terms of course).

As far as I'm concerned there's no need to justify to me or anyone else. You want what you want and you have your reasons for it. Just understand not everyone feels that way and they have their reasons. Then take on the challenge to design a system everyone can live with.

14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Ravicus, i was thrilled by the excellent creative writing in the 'toggle spoiler' part of your posts.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Thank you! :) I am glad some one noticed hehe. You know what is really funny about that short story is that I wrote it before I knew anything about BotA and the shardfalls. Then later on I was like, wow this story actually kind of fits hehe.

Harmony2 likes this.
  16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Yep it does indeed. (From my limited bota knowledge anyway)

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Also, the story actually references in my role play how they became cannibals, and why they had hordes out scavenging for bodies to loot.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I can agree with this. The only point that I really ever notice, and its not just you Bowen, is when people us the term referencing how other people feel about it. I probably have been guilty of that myself. But I can only state my opinion, and try not to use the terms like "many of us" or "we feel". Its really not a big deal probably but it is the thing that bothers me the most in discussions lol. In past threads I have made a point of making people list who the "many of us" "we" people are because without knowing they are just strawman words. Anyways, I will end this circle here and if you want we can get back on topic. Cannibals, where they would be and Who they would be. Well, they would be in my player owned town for sure, Richard has mentioned Cannibal town also! I will be a cannibal in game and there might be a few more of us as well!

Harmony2 likes this.
  19. EmperorBorg

EmperorBorg Avatar

Nice Aldo.....I can see DarkStarr bouncing a bit in his chair saying "Yes man...good point" and doing some chair victory dance ehehhe

We do lose though some smarts (exp) which in a way does relate to our stats which in a way does relate to our being....not in physical form but in physical ability (STR/DEX/INT)....so something magical is afoot indeed....we are very speshul beings with it seems magical properties since we can resurrect...it must rebuild us regardless of method of death or dismemberment. (ie get blown up into bits by a burst from a lava tube and all parts disintegrate or Dragon eats our legs n arms but our jawbone gets stuck between his teeth....You resurrect and regroup....then slay him and within him like the giant land-shark he is are multiple named skeletons n items including your own skull (he just ate)
    So we can always fall back on ....its a MAGICAL MYSTICAL WORLD that has its own strange physics ehhehe......but that is what fantasy gaming is anyhow.

This touches on a different topic that I do like.....RANSOM system they are putting in and what I think the Animals/Beasts (swallowing things) and Monsters that would either LOOT items or Gulp down parts and items ...needing to be reclaimed by being slain OR if another player slain it prior....it would go into the RANSOM system (looting player gains gold ransom) and if not claimed within a certain time....owns item and can do whatever with it.

The agonizing feeling of being a ghost and seeing (text saying) Giant Cyclops loots Vanquishing Sword of Resistance then few moments later.....he loots another piece....from the corpse on the ground.....gut wrenching for the aspiring knight with few reserves....ehehhe
    OR
    Seeing your mortal enemy or possible weekly PK that torments you then appear in screen to slay the Giant Cyclops and thank you for your donation to his vendor eheheh ugh. (RANSOM at least will give us a shot to get an item we treasure back for a cost)

Again I just hope to help make the game as great as we can for the players AND the ROYALS (Devs)....they are our fellow gamers too and their dreams are valid and as the past performance in creativity has shown....they have great dreams too!!!

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.