Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tor'Dawl the wimpy, upgrade suggestions

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Athanil, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

So this is from the 567 patch notes : Torc’Dawl the Broken has leveled up from all the adventurers he has slaughtered.

I do not see any improvements, he's still easy to kill solo. He's still a total wimp! I think someone tinkered with our chance to hit him, but that seems to be it? That's why i thought to offer some suggestions as to improve him and to make him much harder to fight.

1) Fix his endless idle following of people when they run circles around him. I can finish the whole fight like this by shooting and critting him in his back. He has to realize at some point that he isn't going to catch me?

2) Have him go into a rage when is health reaches a certain point, doubling his movement speed and strenght. That way it will be harder to keep him off you. His defense would lower though, so it will be easier to hurt him.

3) We currently cannot avoid rock throws, besides by dodging, which rarely happens. Even a glancing blow knocks you down. My suggestion would be to finally use combat roll for something usefull and let us dodge rock throw with it.

4) Have Torc'Dawl do a upgraded version of his stomp that reaches much further then it does now. Perhaps it could cover the whole area inside of the columns. Give people a hint that he is going to use it so they can try to avoid it though.

Seriously...his first iteration was still the most fun one...yes, the one a certain someone thought was impossible to beat. :p I dare you to give us a real challenge!

Thanks for reading and feel free to add your own suggestions!

2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Yup, but those times are rare. It's why i do my utmost best not to get hit. ;) Most of the time he feels like a pet on a leash though. By using sprint you can easily kill him by constantly hitting him from behind.

3. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Will try this out at the rare times he gets the chance to throw one, thanks for the tip.

Bow Vale likes this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Have him do a headspin with a whirlwind splits leg attack. That would surprise the $hit out of anyone getting kicked in the forehead the first time. Obviously with a knock back. First foot does a stun and second foot does a knockback?

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

How about make him smarter and make us have to be smarter. One problem I see is he is too predictable and he needs to mix it up a bit. I don't think that he should be impossible but make us use finesse to take him down. If he is always hitting more than healers can heal then that won't solve it, it has to be more than out hitting our heals or our damage. Perhaps our interrupts need to work and be timed. Perhaps he breaks the ground and we can fall in the water there are sharks in there. I remember boss fights in WOW, those were epic and the things those bosses could do. Perhaps if our Devs get a moment they could see some. My suspicion tho is that bosses in SOTA are by no means done.

Here is an example of group controlling a boss or vice versa. Also wow imagine raids of 40. I'm always sad we are stuck at 8 people to take down a boss but of course we are not yet there on our bosses.

Originally I thought this would not be a game about boss killing, but I actually missed it and do now see a place for it for different moments and things to do. I don't think this should be the only thing to do of course and I do love questing, discoveries like treasure hunts, and mysterious secrets that have to be solved like perhaps we get cursed from an amulet and it is a long curse that takes time to solve and stats are reduced for the time of the quest, and of course the sea battles when we get boating with the sea serpents etc. Anyway here is a commentary on some epic boss fights as an example.

And I would like it if bosses sometimes were random appearances instead of always standing around. If they have a purpose to why they are there it is one thing.;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    fonsvitae likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Does cover work against his rock throwing?

7. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Yes, with the latest patch according to Chris in discord

Barugon likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

You mean the small circling to the right, killing him without taking a hit isnt intentional? lol

Yea he needa complete AI rework, especially for a *boss* hes awful.
    Phoenix isnt much better while were on that topic.

9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Maybe we just need to fix this mechanic where "running in circles" is ever a valid technique in the game. Unless maybe you are a Chaos Mage. All running in circles around a foe should do is tire you out.

10. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

So you want to deck everyone in heavy plate so they can take a hit from him then? Can't see how it would work otherwise. I use light armor, if he hits me it takes away 50-70% of my health at the best of times, at worst it's instant death. Do you want me to just stand still and take a hit? I'll have to pass..

Are all attacks like this or have they made him more resistant to air. Guess i will find out soon. ;)

11. Curt

Curt Avatar

Give him some kind of attack that make it hurt to move when close to him.
    Like if the ground is filled with caltrops.
    If running around him hurts or cost focus ...

12. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Still the same for me. Constantly critting him for 150-250 bow/aimed shot damage. Fight lasted less then 7 minutes. His name has turned red for me now though.

13. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

It could be because i am hitting him from behind constantly..i seem to miss more and do less damage from the front. *shrugs*

14. Highdragon Moor

Highdragon Moor Avatar

Also, the respawn timer needs to be much more random.

15. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

The trick to dodge his rock trow is to have blink lock. And time it right when the rock is over his head. You will blink out of the way and take no dmg at all.

16. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Hard to tell a melee person that on top of the damage he already does, which is a lot, he will also do something that hurts you just because you stay close.

Can be easily healed, i rarely run out of focus.

Giving him a attack that can slow people down, could work. If it's done well. It has to significantly slow down people, since there are movement speed enhancing buffs already in-game. Also, i think it should be a true skill, not something that is slapped on.

17. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

thanks for the tip! Tried to use cover, but that isn't working at all. That or hiding behind a column isn't considered being covered.

18. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Ideally the thing to do would be to use abilities to slow him down and move back, not run in circles. If you run out of room to back-step then perhaps you shouldn't be trying to solo him at that point. Might need to just take facing bonuses off of ranged attacks.

I would rather see full mage builds in heavy armor. And that would be a terrible sight. But I would rather see almost ANYTHING except for what is essentially circle strafing.

19. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I don't like to use it, but i do what i do to survive. All that running gets your brain fried in the long run. One day i hope i can use elevation to my advantage..more tactical combat...i can hope..

20. eli

eli Avatar

chaotic step might be nice for this use too. Since you don't have to target it, you get a little more time to react.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.