TOUR GUIDES?- How do they work?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Nightsong, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightsong

Nightsong Avatar

Hello,
    I am new to SOTA & have found the Tour Guide Salesman.

Can anyone please explain (in fairly simple terms = Newbie).....
    1. What is their purpose?
    2. Whether I should buy the guides? (Some of them relate to zones I have been to or are currently questing in)
    3. Do the tour guides show your through a zone?
    4. Do I have to buy more than 1 of the Tour Guide books?
    Hoping someone can enlighten me o_O

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Kaffe and welcome. I hate to say it but I have not yet started the new Tour Guide Quest yet. Did you check your journal to see if it gives instructions? You can do that by clicking on j which brings up your journal. Currents tasks might show what those instructions are. So thanks for asking the question. I will try to bring some help in here. @Berek

Kaffe Nightbreeze likes this.
  3. Womby

Womby Avatar

Are these the books available in
    Soltown
    ?
    Those tour guides are not especially helpful in my view (they are deliberately vague/superficial). You do not need them (they do not contain essential information).
    They are, however, a pleasant enough read. I was not aware that there was a tour guide quest, so I can't comment on that aspect.

Disclaimer: I wrote the one on the Necropolis.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Kaffe Nightbreeze likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The books are simply non-valuable collector‘s items in my estimation. Written by players in the pre-release aera, some are funny, some are written like a player‘s journal of discovery, but they are not essential to have.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Spoon likes this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

By the way, these tour guide salesmen are not to be confused with the mechanical Grand Tour quest givers in R52 who wear bowler hats. Simply speaking to all 5 of the bowler hat ones is a temporary quest that has a cloak as a reward.

Kaffe Nightbreeze and majoria70 like this.
  6. Nightsong

Nightsong Avatar

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I had come across a video today, where the guy ran through several zones to get to the reward, which in his case was a fur hat.
    I wondered if this was the case for any other perhaps similar quests? (I am not too interested in the fur hat)
    If I decided to try these quests, where would I find the "Grand Tour Guide"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your reply & very warm welcome :)
    Please see my reply to Kara Brae, for further details, that I omitted in my original post.
    I hadn't "clicked" that this Tour Guide was just a book seller, & that in fact the info I was seeking was about the "Grand Tour Guide" Quests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I was referring to the Soltown Tour Guide Merchant.
    Please see my reply to Kara Brae, for further details, that I omitted in my original post.

I actually bought the Necropolis book, so I will read it now :)

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If you want to do the current Grand Tour quest, you need to meet up with a bowler hat atomaton.
    There is one at the default entrance to Central Brittany, one near the town crier in Owl's Head, one in Brookside, one in Westend, one in Etceter and one on the Isle of Storms. Your compass will have the Grand Tour on it to make the guy easier to find. As you can see, none of the Bowler hat guys are in an adventure scene, so it is completely safe, and you can reach all places using a Lunar Rift. There are Lunar Rifts in all the beginner areas (Solace Bridge, Highvale and Blood River), so every new player has found at least one Lunar Rift. The destinations of the rifts change according to the phase of the moon. http://sotawiki.net/sota/Lunar_Rift

The history behind the Grand Tour:
    In the pre-release alpha phase of the game, the game was wiped every three months. To encourage players to keep playing and discover new scenes, after each wipe there was a Grand Tour quest. The atomatons were sometimes hidden in safe towns, but most were hidden in adventure scenes. The quest reward was always a mask or hat. I assume the video you watched was from one of those previous Grand Tours.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  8. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi Kaffe Nightbreeze

thanks for the question.

welcome to the world of Novia
    if you need help please contact me and I will help you in the game I have created videos that can be found on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/skeggymedia and I stream on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/skeggy_media and happy adventuring in this World full of Adventure. in the ingame chat box you can send me a friend request by typing /friend skeggy media I accept all friends requests.

Kaffe Nightbreeze and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.