1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Town Blessings Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is a good incentive for POT owners to have nested POTs. Have to leave town but don't want to run through the siege gauntlet? Just hop over to the nested POT then exit to Novia.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

I imagine they will replace existing titans, where they exist. Otherwise they will likely replace something else, or be placed in an existing large open area. The Kingsport devotional will of course take on the appearance of a light house.

3. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I hope these buffs last..

A week in game would be nice!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

@DarkStarr

After giving it a little thought, if the POT town blessing is only about duration based on the number of residents of the POT, my suggestion is don't waste the database cycles to recalculate this number over and over, and instead just have a fixed value. The NPC building limit itself is going to drive specialty regardless. If the lowest end of the bonus is 4 hours like some higher end food, that's really all most players would expect anyway for their evening of play.

As a Governor, I perceive trying to pack players into row homes only for a bonus as hurting my ability to attract players that are ambitious and want larger housing. I'd be happy to place folks in larger lots. I'd really like to open my next expansion up to seasoned players who want the full SotA experience with a house and yard to decorate rather than trying to cram more people into Manhattan. Hopefully Festival has already placed its last row lot and everything going forward can be for players looking to buy bigger lots and investing more into the game.

Because of this above statement, unless there's a really compelling utilitarian reason, I'm going to ignore the population bonus altogether when it comes to planning out the rest of the community. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm not that jazzed about how and why this bonus works, and it might be worth a rethink about spending the cycles to add something that might constrict players in ways that are counterproductive to your goals and mine.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

There will only be 11 Devotionals placed in 11 NPC towns. The Vale won't have any.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

All the more reason for some non-Virtue based devotionals down the line. ;)

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Understandable points...however...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are benefits to having a large scaling group of row lots that go beyond "getting the bonus" and have been planned for many years. Rats Nest has never been about cramming everyone into a town for the sake of it, the reasons run much deeper than that.

Still, I do feel that the devil is in the details when it comes to receiving the bonuses and for the sake of argument let's say that one town has 50 people in it and another has 500, shouldn't the larger bonus go to the town with 100 times more people? I'm not lobbying for that to happen, I'm just asking the question because I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it. I certainly don't want every town on the map to look like mine, in fact I hope most don't look like mine. So if there's a simple common sense solution that both honors large population centers without making everyone feel like they have to make the same type of town, I'm all for it.

Datendrache likes this.
  8. sam101688

sam101688 Avatar

Engineer makes great points here. I have considered my housing location based on what a POT has to offer in regards to the size of the plots they allow. I know some POT owners only accepting row lots simply because they do not what to compromise space with villages and larger housing so they can try to maximize the POT buffs. Is there a way to make it so that larger housing is not pushed away as being a non-valued commodity,as I find larger plots and housing to be beautiful in this game and like the idea of expanding with in game growth, the more I play, the more I spend, the better my house becomes. As is, row seems to be the only way to go so that your POT Governor allows you to live there so they can continue to grow in population.

An idea would be that larger plots have a value more than one or something of that nature. I am not sure of the consequences of such an idea but just something to not only market rows but just overall housing in general.

Lord Ravnos and Datendrache like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I should also add that PVP POTs, having more risk, seems like they would be logically in line for a higher bonus than non-PVP POTs. Maybe a PVP specific bonus.

10. DarkStarr

Its not going to go by exact numbers but by thresholds so you are going to be fine.

From @Chris who implemented the system: "The way I implemented it, it checks the number of lots claimed once when the buff is applied. It uses that for duration. There is a two tier bonus I added as well to the effectiveness but that is one value for 1-19 lots and another for those with 20+. So having 500 row lots would make it last longer but the effect is something like +3 for under 20 and +5 for towns over 20."

Net, Stundorn, Acred and 6 others like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Chris is really a smart guy.

12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

10x more people ;)

I had anticipated it would have to do with % of claimed lot space more than number of claimed lots in a town. But I'm not too worried about it. I was immediately trying to think of what I could give up to place all the devotionals but on second thought it seems a bit of a nuisance for a market town to always be under siege ;)

I wonder what effect the Moontowers will have on sieges?

13. Drocis the Devious

Does that include or exclude POTs?

*crosses fingers that the lore will be preserved*

14. DarkStarr

I was only referring to NPC towns.

15. Drocis the Devious

Is there a cooldown for switching devotionals?

For example, if a Holdfast owner can only place one devotional but they are constantly switching them on demand, what's the point of the restriction? Maybe if there were a 1 hour wait (cool down) between placement of a devotional and being able to get the benefit, that would help.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Let me see if I got this straight. The bonuses of devotional shrines in a POT only apply to the POT residents? Or are the shrines similar to the Oracle conservatories which can be set to be open to all?

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

For the moment I would say this gives a reason to stop into a Player Owned town. I have played games where you get a bonus from a fountain or a well before.

Also some games have guild houses that have items that give a bonus like Everquest 2. I have never wanted to have the attitude that for Wizards Rest we have to advertise to get players to the town to have a stronger blessing. That attitude will not be changing either to have a stronger blessing.

Wizards Rest is and will always be no fuss, no drama, and whoever wants to live there is welcome and if it is just the few of us dedicated to the town and the peaceful life then so be it. ;) I am extremely happy for the blessing feature.

Thank you to all the team for getting blessings in, I feel it provides another layer to the game and is a fantastic addition to the game. :)

Edit : I'm sorry I did mean to make it sound like the statue and buffs in Wizards Rest are not opened to anyone if I did that is. Anyone is welcome to use the oracle in the town, the crafting pavillions, and the Statue Blessing anytime ;). I should sleep more. That is my thing: You know you're addicted to SOTA when you don't want to sleep ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  18. DarkStarr

Open to anyone.

19. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

But do not forget that Chris is evil too...

20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

There's no cooldown on NPC vendors, or buildings such as the Oracle or decoratons - I don't see why it would matter. The restriction is not on the number of devotionals one can place, the restriction is on the number of NPC buildings one can place of which devotionals take away from the limits.

For a holdfast though the bonus will presumably be smaller or will not last as long.

Though I think it would be nice if devotionals ran separate from the NPC building counter :) I don't want to lose my statues!

Stundorn, Cirsee and Brass Knuckles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.