Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Town Owners: monsters, resources, and decorations?!

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Violation Clauth, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Some of it was in the streamathon if my memory serves me.

cartodude, Leelu and Violation like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

@DarkStarr come say it again so we can lawyer you!

Womby, Leelu, DarkStarr and 3 others like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Leelu, DarkStarr and Violation like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

so if you say his name in front of a mirror thrice... does Amber appear then?

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Or just put it in context for us :) Was it as simple as "turn on monsters when you don't place enough lots"? or "when you place them and they're not claimed" or... "somehow" or...??? We have questions! We want answers! LOL!

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I only want it if they're done wrong. :)

Sorry, the way the questions are phrased bothers me. It's like saying "Do you want to vote for this crazy person for president?" It's assuming the answer. But I don't think that was your intention, you probably just wanted to avoid all the "what if's" that usually accompany big changes like this.

So moving on...

Of course I love the idea of resources and monsters being in Rats Nest. Personally I'd like to see giant obsidian crocodiles in the surrounding swamps. I'd love to see rare resources that made people want to come to my POT. Oh wait, that's one reason why I'm connected directly to Verdantis Shardfall.

I'm not sure how this can be balanced. Currently, people don't have to come to my POT to get to Verdantis Shardfall, they can get there any number of other ways. That seems balanced to me.

Regarding monsters, I like how Sir Frank positioned his response. By allowing monsters to move in and out of a POT you're not allowing them to be farmed. Which despite typical player actions is NOT helpful to roleplaying. I'm not in favor of giving anyone an experience generation machine or a natural resource reserve that they own the rights to. Btw, this is a good time to remind people that non-pvp POTs can still ban people.

Do I want resources and monsters in POTs? SURE! Especially if it can "be done right". But I'm very skeptical that it can be done right. The devil is in the details and right now there are many systems that have yet to be "done right". Some prime examples would be allowing single player online mode in PVP areas, or making grinding for months a prerequisite to be pvp competitive. At the end of the day, I would not support resources and monsters in POTs unless it was "done right".

Leelu and 4EverLost like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I got this... hangon...
    Yeah so, the idea is strictly do you want them if they're done right... not what wrong ways have you seen in other games that bring about what if's... like you said. So the "done right" isn't like crazy person for president... it's saying "Do you want a president if he's the right guy for the job?" Some people would say "No, we don't want a democratic republic, we want a dictatorship or a republic or a... " something else... so... avoiding the what if's was the goal... :)

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

+1 to the summoning ring

Leelu and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

POTs should definitely have wildlife and other animals, as much as NPC towns have, at least.

"Monsters" and resources (especially monsters) not completely closed-minded to, but have some concerns about. Look at the people on the forums wondering whether or not POTs are keeping the player population from being in NPC cities. What would the effect of monster spawn grounds in POTs have on players staying away from hunting areas in the wild? What would the effect of resource spawn grounds in POTs have on players staying away from farming areas in the wild?

I expect some things like fish of course, and trees, if there are huge wild, forested areas in a POT template.

10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We have some ideas about how placed and/or systemic spawns would work in POTs but the ideas are not thought out.
    • Systemic: PoTs would have spawns of non-sentient creatures (ex. stags) and resources. The number would be in direct inverse proportion to the total area of lots and decorations placed. So the more settled the scene the less resources available (just like in real world)
    • Placed: Go out in the wild and harvest spider eggs, haunted crypts, etc. Place these on your property and they act as spawners until they "run out".
    Don't Lawyer Me Bro! These are very primitive early ideas with little detailed design behind them yet.

11. Drocis the Devious

I like both of those thoughts.

Ice Queen, Ravicus Domdred and Leelu like this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

• Placed: Go out in the wild and harvest spider eggs, haunted crypts, etc. Place these on your property and they act as spawners until they "run out".
    those would be great for RP events.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

@DarkStarr,

What about animals like the chickens and sheep we have in NPC towns? For instance, ideally, I would want to have geese roaming the streets of my town.

Would that be covered by 1 or 2? What if players were merciless and killed all the geese or chickens -- would the spawners run out, forcing you to place more?

14. Drocis the Devious

Surly there will be a chicken coup that will act similarly to agriculture.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Eventually, hopefully yes. Although that seems to be something you'd expect to be on a lot, for a player's owned chickens. More difficult to imagine how that would apply to free-roaming chickens, or something like geese.

Ice Queen, Ravicus Domdred and Leelu like this.
  16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I really like those ideas... LAWYER TIME! :D

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Basically, just thinking about how we could replicate what we already see in some NPC towns.

Ravicus Domdred and Leelu like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Abandoned buildings that decay/fall into a bank are actually turned into wildlife buildings and ruins... #IJustHadAnEpicThought #SomeoneWriteThisDown #OhWaitIJustDid

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm still waiting to see your epic idea about picking up rocks and throwing them.

Ravicus Domdred, Leelu and Violation like this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.